PDA

View Full Version : Best time of the day for wedding shots

Mile
15-10-2011, 4:06pm
For those experienced wedding photographers i am doing some photos for my sisters wedding and she wants to take special shots in a garden location at about 3pm. This makes me think the sun will give harsh light and shadows. Is this an ok time or is there a time of day you always recommend main shots to be taken? I have 2 weeks to research and practice for this.

My equipment is canon 550D with 17-85mm lens and tripod.

Ps. please dont answer you own questions and say get a pro... just tips and advice coz im doing it anyway but i am not the main photographer, only backup so its all covered.

cheers

Kym
15-10-2011, 4:19pm
Best time? When the wedding is on, and after before the reception!! :Doh:

That's the point, you have to work with their timetable.
I did a wedding in May, and had portable lighting (2 umbrellas and a softbox) for the formals and had good access during the ceremony, also I was allowed to use flash in the Church.

William
15-10-2011, 4:44pm
Dont worry about the Tripod , Shoot RAW and for the formal shots if the light is harsh , Try to get them in the shade somewhere (Under a tree) with a little fill flash

sufran
15-10-2011, 11:53pm
If you have the choice of the time, when the light is softer is better. And if you know the location, go there and check out the light at 3pm (as that is the time nominated) or later (e.g. 5pm+) so you can get the afternoon golden glow (if you have the choice). If you cannot get to the garden (e.g. you don't live near your sister), ask someone to take some photos for you. You need to check out the venue e.g. it may get little sunset light because of its position). Always a good idea to have some fill flash as has been suggested. You can always take some without flash, but if you do not have any fill light and you need it...If you are stuck with strong light, look for even shade; or shoot with the subjects back to the sun (and use fill lighting). Good luck (and post some pics of how it turns out, please).

JM Tran
16-10-2011, 12:45am
no such thing as best time of the day for wedding shots haha, learn to master light - you can shoot any time, any where:)

but best weather condition would be slightly cool and overcast with cloud cover and no sun for evenly lit lighting

MarkChap
16-10-2011, 12:52am
As already mentioned, the best time is the time of the wedding.
You shouldn't need the tripod at that time of day, research your location, someone mentioned shooting in raw, if you don't already do this then can I suggest that you shoot raw AND jpeg, as you WILL have to process the raw files.

Look for some nice even shade, avoid dappled light, and if you must shoot in the sun, get their backs to the sun, but remember that your camera meter may well get confused by the bright back light, so fill flash if you have it or you may need to open your exposure to ensure you don't under expose the subjects

kiwi
16-10-2011, 8:18am
I get. Feeling based on the wording in the op that the shooting is not at the actual wedding but for the wedding. So, yes, you might be able to suggest shooting at the golden hour, but even at 3 you should be able to either find some shade or manufacture some using a scrim

Dylan & Marianne
16-10-2011, 8:48am
I'd suggest just scouting the actual location at the appropriate time close to the actual date and take a few scout shots - you can't really control timing of when you get to places and the 'landscape' me has cried when beautiful sunset light passes while everyone is eating dinner or having speeches lol. Good luck with it -you can still get some great shots in the middle of the day with the appropriate trials and errors beforehand

Mile
20-10-2011, 12:46am
Ok cool thanks for those tips it was exactly what i was looking for. I dont know the location and i dont live close by either. What i plan to do over the next week is take photo's of friends at 3pm on overcast and sunny days and again at magic hour 5:00pm+. I will shoot in RAW+JPEG. I hope they come out ok :)

kiwi
20-10-2011, 8:21am
Well, hope is one thing, but it's not enough. Practice is definitely the right idea, might be worth posting some early results here to gauge your efforts eh ?