PDA

View Full Version : PHOTOSHOP CS5 lessons

ElizabethAtkinson
12-10-2011, 6:36am
I just purchased CS5 and am searching (unsuccessfully) for lessons in same. I am the type of learner who needs to be instructed and then go and try it, rather than read it from a book (although I did google search for Photoshop CS5 for Dummies and there seems to be at least two different books, so gave up).

YouTube isn't an option at the moment because the speakers are out of action on my computer.

Does anyone know of any reputable Photoshop courses in Victoria, preferably western side of Melbourne (but will travel if I have to)?

TIA.

ricktas
12-10-2011, 6:45am
I reckon fixing your computer speakers would be a much cheaper option than finding a course.

Here in Hobart, we also had a couple of Ausphotography Post Processing meets, where we went on a shoot, then went to a members house, with our laptops etc and sat down and taught each other different processing techniques. It worked well. So maybe you could see if you could get one happening on your neck of the woods. And it was free.

dbax
12-10-2011, 8:36am
I know you say that books dont work for you but any of the Photoshop books by Scott Kelby will be an aid to your learning and a valuable resource. He has a unique writing style that encourages you to try it yourself. Certainly again, cheaper than a course. Try the local library.
And as Rick says jump in to one of the Melb meet ups, you'll learn heaps and might even find someone local willing to give some one on one instruction :D

rellik666
12-10-2011, 9:59am
We were going to hold one of those meets, but it never happened....maybe we should look at one again. Do you get into the city much Liz?

fess67
12-10-2011, 10:25am
I have several books by Marting Evening and a couple from Scott Kelby. I don't care for Kelby's writing style but still useful books. I also get photoshop magazines on a regular basis and I find the articles and 'projects' in them very useful for me to learn from.

I did a 2 day workshop here in Perth for about $250. It was good and got you going on BUT you wil get much more out of a course if you have some basic understanding before you go. It helps you know what you want to know rather than just 'tell me everything' sort of approach. :)

fillum
12-10-2011, 12:42pm
I reckon fixing your computer speakers would be a much cheaper option than finding a course.Or getting hold of a cheap set or earphones/headphones (Harvey Norman / Dick Smith / etc).

For courses, check out your local community college if you have one. My local (Sydney) college runs PS courses of 8 x 3 hour sessions for around $280 which seems pretty good value. An added advantage is that you'll meet other photographers from your area.

Cheers.

farmmax
13-10-2011, 8:33pm
Adobe TV has Learn Photoshop CS5 videos BUT you will need sound.

http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

Personally I like this way better than attending courses. You can work at your own pace, and it's Free!

I'd try the earphone/headphone option instead of speakers. I'm using $3 earphones (Reject Shop) and they are fine for listening to tutorial videos. If I want extra sound quality, I move up to my $9 BigW headphones :)

m841
25-05-2012, 9:18pm
I've found Scott Kelby's range of books to be great, as they aren't just all reading and theory. They come with examples in the book to practice as you go, and you can also download the images so that you can practice on exactly what he is explaining to you.
I've bought a few now and they are a great resource even to go back to later on if you forget something or want to brush up on a particular part.