PDA

View Full Version : No Pixels on PSE8?

rwg717
11-10-2011, 9:14pm
A question for members who have used Photoshop Elements V.8, I have a number of copies of this program on desktops and laptops but I bought a version some months ago which does not show pixels in the menu for image re-sizing. It displays inches, millimetres, picas, points and percentage but not pixels. I'm not sure how to re-size for AP if I can't find the 1024 px measure. Is this parameter hidden somewhere?
Richard

Damo77
12-10-2011, 9:41am
It's a couple of years since I used PSE8, but I'm dead certain it had pixels. Are you going to Image > Resize > Image Size?

Make sure the "Resample Image" checkbox is checked, and pixels should become available.

rwg717
12-10-2011, 11:07pm
It's a couple of years since I used PSE8, but I'm dead certain it had pixels. Are you going to Image > Resize > Image Size?

Make sure the "Resample Image" checkbox is checked, and pixels should become available.

Yes, that's my problem, go to "resize image">"image size" and all the options are there EXCEPT "pixels:. It shows percentage, cms, inches, picas and points etc but NOT pixels!!!!:angry0:
Richard

Damo77
13-10-2011, 5:25pm
No, the pixels should be by themselves in the top section of that window. And only become active when you check the "Resample" checkbox.

rwg717
13-10-2011, 9:27pm
No, the pixels should be by themselves in the top section of that window. And only become active when you check the "Resample" checkbox.

OK, I'll try that and get back to you.....thanks:th3:
Richard

Damo77
15-10-2011, 10:01am
How did you go, mate?

rwg717
16-10-2011, 9:25pm
How did you go, mate?

No good at all, the pictures are displayed in pixels but to re-size the drop-down box only shows percent, cms, inches, picas and points. There just is now way to select pixels even after you re-sample the image. This only happens on two laptops which have it installed, all the others are quite OK. Anyway, as a Canon user I have their DPP and I re-size in there first and edit on PSE8 later!
Richard

Damo77
17-10-2011, 7:16am
I'd still like to see a screenshot of that dialog.

ricktas
17-10-2011, 7:26am
Have you check the preferences for that installation. Not sure about Elements, but in PS, under EDIT>Preferences is a Units and Rules tab, and you can manage what options you have in there.

rwg717
17-10-2011, 7:26pm
Have you check the preferences for that installation. Not sure about Elements, but in PS, under EDIT>Preferences is a Units and Rules tab, and you can manage what options you have in there.

OK Rick, this might be what I was looking for and I'll give that a go, many thanks:th3:
Richard

rwg717
18-10-2011, 9:11pm
I took Rick's suggestion and opened the "edit" and preferences>Units etc. etc and had no luck, snipping and prntscrn wouldn't work so this was as good as I could do.....

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y330/rswilliamsports/Personal/IMG_1240.jpg

Anyway, not all that important as I said above I use Canon's DPP to resize images:confused013
Richard

ricktas
18-10-2011, 9:13pm
that is odd. Have you tried posting it on the Adobe support forums?

J.davis
18-10-2011, 11:51pm
PSE 9 is the same - if that helps.

rwg717
19-10-2011, 9:40pm
that is odd. Have you tried posting it on the Adobe support forums?

No Rick, I didn't bother as I use my own "work-around" and as I rarely use the laptops for PP didn't think Adobe would be all that interested anyway. As John says above PSE9 is the same I'll probably drop the idea, thanks for your help anyway:th3:
Richard

Damo77
21-10-2011, 9:41pm
Richard, it's right there. You didn't read my very first response clearly enough. Turn on the "Resample Image" checkbox, and the pixels (at the top) will become available to you.

rwg717
26-10-2011, 9:15pm
Richard, it's right there. You didn't read my very first response clearly enough. Turn on the "Resample Image" checkbox, and the pixels (at the top) will become available to you.

Hi Damo, have been busy and late getting back to you.....sorry makes no difference whether "resample image" or not is checked, pixels don't appear, I took the shot above after I had unchecked the box hoping that might make a difference. Anyway DPP does the job so I'm not worried too much, thanks for your help:th3:

Richard

Damo77
26-10-2011, 9:17pm
Dude, seriously. They're right there, in the TOP section of the window. IGNORE the pull-down menus in the second section.

ricktas
26-10-2011, 9:26pm
Doing a bit of reading on the net, Try ticking all THREE boxes at the bottom, amd then see if pixels are an option.

ricktas
26-10-2011, 9:30pm
also try just typing in the pixel dimensions

In the width box for example type "1000 px". From what I have read that will force it to resize in pixels even if its not an option from the drop down list. Use 'px' to force elements to resize using pixels

J.davis
26-10-2011, 11:42pm
If you check 'resample and the constrain boxes', the pixel dimensions in the top box, become active and you can change the dimensions in pixels.
In the 'document size' box, you cant force it to show pixels as it comes up with an error message.
Hope this helps.

rwg717
27-10-2011, 8:55pm
If you check 'resample and the constrain boxes', the pixel dimensions in the top box, become active and you can change the dimensions in pixels.
In the 'document size' box, you cant force it to show pixels as it comes up with an error message.
Hope this helps.

Yes, this is what happened when I tried it:D
Richard