PDA

View Full Version : Adobe to let you "rent" downloads!

rellik666
11-10-2011, 3:16pm
http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/business-it/adobe-relents-sells-software-online-20111011-1li72.html

Company will sell Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign downloads.

Adobe Systems is overhauling the way it sells its most popular software to spur more frequent purchases by distributing programs over the internet.

Chief technology officer Kevin Lynch plans to release what Adobe calls its Creative Cloud software package early next year. The company will let customers rent programs on a monthly basis and share their work across PCs and mobile devices, rather than make larger purchases, such as Photoshop CS5 that can cost more than $1,400 in Australia.

The big question is the pricing, not mentioned here...:umm:

Tommo224
11-10-2011, 3:48pm
I think that is a good idea.

I could never afford to purchase a full copy, and there would have been no way I would've been able to become a graphics designer if I wasn't able to receive a copy through an * removed - site rule breach * from somebody else.

Student copies were out of the question when I first started out.

ricktas
11-10-2011, 6:11pm
Interesting. I reckon we will see more and more of this. Both to make software more affordable, but to also level out the income streams that some of these companies must have. How much better budgeting wise is it, for both parties. Pricing will be the next thing that we need to see to determine if this is a cost effective option for the enthusiast.

Tommo224
11-10-2011, 6:22pm
For most people I know, the Adobe software out there is just not affordable straight off the bat.

When it comes to expensive things, it is easier for me to go on to payment plans (fortnight, monthly, etc) as I get paid monthly and need to balance a lot of things.

Having a monthly plan like they're proposing above would make things like that easier for both me, and many people I know who want to try this out :)

Means they can go legit, * removed - site rule breach *

Boo53
11-10-2011, 7:40pm
Adobe's had a subscription (pay by the month) scheme for CS5 for some time now. I wonder how this is meant to be different?

By the same token, their "student" policy is so loose most people can get CS5 for only a couple $3-400. Apparently doing a 2 hour course at Michael's qualifies, at least according to Michael's

fillum
11-10-2011, 9:25pm
I wonder if there might be some kind of "per use" model?

Tommo224
12-10-2011, 9:46am
I wonder if there might be some kind of "per use" model?

Would that mean you could just leave the software open, and never close it? Making a single session last for a really really long time? =P

Ms Monny
12-10-2011, 9:52am
I dont' think it is a rent-to-buy, or a pay-by-month scheme either. It is a rental and when you have finished, you give it back and don't have it anymore. After a while though, it would end up costing the user alot more than buying outright BUT that is always the way with all rentals (DVD's, exercise equipment etc). It may seem a small amount per month (whatever that amount will be) but if the user has it for a long time, then whammo, big bikkies gone!!

I think saving up and then buying is the best option....or using this to see if you like the product, then save and own.

In regards to leaving the session open all the time, and only 'paying' for one session....I am pretty sure that they have figured a way out of that. It is probably timed, say, for a 4 hour stint and then it clocks over to the next payed session!