PDA

View Full Version : Wedding setup

KeeFy
07-10-2011, 5:28pm
I have covered a couple of weddings as a 2nd photog with a single lens and body before. But it's wake up time now that i'm the primary photographer at a friend's wedding.

So my options with my gears that i'm bringing are:

(A)
5D + 70-200 2.8
7D + 17-55 2.8

(B)
5D + 50L
7D + 17-55

(C)
5D + 70-200
7D + 50L

(D)
5D + 50L
7D + 50mm 1.8

I'm thinking of A as it gives me the flexibility of a little more reach. 70-200 on a 7D would surely be a little too long and awkward for indoors. I will swap between A and B but A being the primary.

Considerations for A and B?
A would have me covered from 28-200mm in 35mm focal length. I will "never" miss a shot.
B would have me covered for 28-80mm and the 50 1.2 gives nice DOF for subject isolation should i need it. Dependent on the situation.

I'm considering picking up the 35L. If i do so, 35L will go on the 5D and 50L on the 7D, but that's if i do pick it up before i leave for the holidays. His house is warm lit and i have CTOs to correct the flash issues.

Any other considerations i should be taking note of? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

JM Tran
07-10-2011, 5:39pm
When I first started out doing weddings 3 years ago, I wanted to cover whole useful focal length so I had 24-70, and 70-200, and a prime somewhere in between. As I progressed with my skills and creative and direction I realized its not about trying to cover the whole length, its about shooting in a manner that will convey your style and sense of creativity the most, and amateurs tend to not progress beyond the 24-70 and 70-200 and stick with it to play it safe.

Going from what you have, I'd go with A and B. I get my 2nd photographer to cover a particular focal length too as I do something else during the progression of the day.

btw, option D is the worse as there is no wide, no tele, and only the normal focal lengths between 2 cameras and will end up looking the same and boring very fast:D

fabian628
07-10-2011, 6:06pm
I would go with A but also switch occationally between 70-200 and 50L on the 5d

swifty
07-10-2011, 6:46pm
I pick A too. But if you go B, consider a fast 85 or 105 instead of a 50.

Dylan & Marianne
07-10-2011, 10:34pm
I'd go with with Jackie recommended (it's still what Marianne and I do ) - 24-70 on the 5dmkII, 70-200 on the 7D though - probably the landscape influence , but a wide-ish 24 on the FF camera suits us better than 24 on the 7D.

kiwi
07-10-2011, 10:50pm
Posted any photos yet ? Im not sure that since you've only new to photography and asking this sort of question that you're ready to be a primary wedding photographer ?

KeeFy
08-10-2011, 1:07am
Posted any photos yet ? Im not sure that since you've only new to photography and asking this sort of question that you're ready to be a primary wedding photographer ?

I told him that i am not ready to be a primary! But he keeps insisting that he trusts in my photography. I told him countless times that what i do with street is not as applicable to wedding, but he says just try my best. *sigh* You have no idea how many times i've objected and asked him to find another photog, but he's relentless. Oh wells, so i'm extremely stressed and am reading up as much as i can with wedding photog. Hopefully all will go well on the day.

I do have some wedding shots which i think are so so but it seems my friends think it's decent. It's in my archives somewhere i'll need to dig them out.

KeeFy
08-10-2011, 1:07am
Thanks for the opinions guys! :)

fabian628
08-10-2011, 2:56am
I told him that i am not ready to be a primary! But he keeps insisting that he trusts in my photography. I told him countless times that what i do with street is not as applicable to wedding, but he says just try my best. *sigh* You have no idea how many times i've objected and asked him to find another photog, but he's relentless. Oh wells, so i'm extremely stressed and am reading up as much as i can with wedding photog. Hopefully all will go well on the day.

I do have some wedding shots which i think are so so but it seems my friends think it's decent. It's in my archives somewhere i'll need to dig them out.

should try to get one of your photography friends who wants wedding experience to shoot 2nd just for the fun of it :)

kiwi
08-10-2011, 8:28am
See this is the point, it's only partly ok he might be happy, what about everyone else relying on your great photos from the day ? Not just this generation but the next

But most importantly what about your conscience ?

Tell them to fork out $1000 to get a photographer and 2nd shoot

You don't really want to shell out a few thousand just to do one wedding do you ?

And yes, I'm still waiting to see you post any pictures, let alone wedding ones.

KeeFy
08-10-2011, 8:21pm
The wedding is in bangkok, so no joy there when it comes to finding someone to help. Great news tho, after many many many times expressing inabilities, he has finally heard me. He got a photographer and i'll be the 2nd. :)

I've yet to dig up my wedding photos but my general stuff can be seen here. http://blog.keefy.net

I feel as if a heavy burden has been lifted off my shoulders. :)