PDA

View Full Version : Photojournalism Behind The Scenes, A Critique of Conflict Photography

Kym
06-10-2011, 1:25pm
http://laughingsquid.com/photojournalism-behind-the-scenes-a-critique-of-conflict-photography/

A very interesting observation, the people in the scene play to the presence of the photographers and thus create the news.

How often does this happen, even in our local news?
I've seen situation of the trash current affairs shows (ACA, TT etc.) where this seems to be the norm.

What are the ethical responsibilities of photo journalists?

Please ignore the politics of this specific situation, simply comment on the effect that the presence of a 'tog has on news.
There is NO point in getting into a IvP debate.

rellik666
06-10-2011, 2:42pm
Very interesting Kym, thanks for sharing that. Whilst we all know what you can do with a camera to improve a scene, you don't expect it to affect what you think of a news story. Watching that was more like, duh for me, rather than wow. Of course an image can convey a thousand words but what thousand words is up to the photographer and how that photographer interacts with their surroundings.

geoffsta
06-10-2011, 3:49pm
Ain't a story... Make one. We all expected something like this. but to see it ????
I suppose they are there to take photos to make money. And they can't make money if there is no story. :umm:

reflect
08-10-2011, 2:16pm
Playing for the cameras to gain attention for whatever cause it may be isn't new, however the ethics behind the way the photojournalist present the images is questionable to say the least. Money and editorial pressure often prevail over photographic integrity. This just reinforces that you shouldn't always believe what you see !. Thanks for sharing this interesting video.

WhoDo
08-10-2011, 3:15pm
A wise person once warned me that, in regard to news media and photojournalism, I should believe NONE of what I read and only HALF of what I see. This piece only serves to show that journalism, in all its forms, has become more about making a story than reporting one. It's the butterfly effect on steroids in conflict situations, isn't it? :confused013