PDA

View Full Version : Old Sunpak flashes

birdy
05-10-2011, 7:43pm
My partner has given me a couple of old flashes that he used years ago, a Sunpak auto134 and Sunpak auto 3075 G, there is also a hot shoe to pc adapter. I have done a few google searches but I'm not sure if it is safe to use these with my new Canon Eos60D. From what I have read it is ok if used as a remote flash, but is the adapter safe to use?
Also does anyone know of a site I might be able to find a guide or manual on using them. Which one is better? What are the differences between the two?
I am a total newbie and really have no idea what I am doing so any advice is appreciated.

JohnRA
06-10-2011, 11:44am
Probably not wise to try on your camera, I also have an old Sunpak & had visions of using it on my Canon DSLR but after a few warnings from various people I decided to give it a miss.
There is a fair bit of info available on this subject, so Google "Flash Trigger Voltages" & you should find enough there for you to make a judgement.

birdy
06-10-2011, 12:31pm
Thanks will do

snappysi
06-10-2011, 2:14pm
I too have one of these old flashes Birdy and have never used it on my Nikon directly, only ever as an off camera flash. From memory they are not suitable on camera as the voltage is too high and could fry your camera. It was quite a while ago that i researched it so i may be wrong. They were designed originally for use with film cameras. I might also point out that with mine at least, the power is not adjustable, it simply flashes... not exactly great ..... but it may get you through a learning period till you acquire something a little better.

Simon.

birdy
06-10-2011, 5:06pm
Thanks for your replies.
I googled "Flash Trigger Voltages" as suggested and found that yes the voltage is too high to use on camera.
I think I will buy a new hot shoe to pc adapter, just to be on the safe side. I would like to have a play with them before outlaying any money on new flashes.
Does voltage thorough the pc connection matter?

Old Skool
06-10-2011, 8:29pm
Buy a set of cheap Yongnuo wireless flash controllers of Ebay and use them to fire the flashes as an off camera flash. I do that with an old Ricoh flash and works a treat without danger of frying your camera.

SteveInNZ
07-10-2011, 9:03am
Have a search for "Safe-sync". I'm sure there will be similar things around too. It's a hotshoe to hotshoe/PC adapter with a voltage clamp built in so you can use a high voltage flash with the camera never seeing more than 6V.
I second Old Skool's suggestion of cheap wireless (or dumb optical) triggers if that suits the way you want to use the flash.
From memory, both the Canon and Nikon PC socket is good for around 200V while the hotshoe is limited to a low voltage. Personally, I'd want to see it in writing for my own camera, rather than risking it from an internet posting.

Steve.

birdy
07-10-2011, 5:43pm
Thanks guys
The wireless triggers sound like the way to go.