PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase new lens..

drako4
01-10-2011, 8:27am
Hello,

Just found out today that my SMC Pentax DA 18-250 mm lens does not focus. I have had this problem from day one, just attributed it to being a newbie and possibly using the wrong settings. A local camera store tried 2 other lenses and both worked fine. Since I have a photography workshop this weekend, I need another lens.

Looked at a SMC Pentax F 35-70mm F 3.5-4.5 lens. Any thoughts on this lens or other recommendations?

Would appreciate any advice that is offered.

Cheers,
Carrie

olefella
01-10-2011, 10:02am
I guess it depends on what you want the lens for? I find the sigma 17-70 a handy one for general use, reasonably sharp.

xjjohnno
01-10-2011, 2:50pm
The F35-70 is a decent lens, had one myself for a while. You should be happy with the results. A year ago you could pick one up dirt cheap on Ebay but the price for one of them has jumped up significantly. I suppose the secret got out about what a pleasant lens they are.

drako4
02-10-2011, 12:31am
Hello,

Thank you for your replies.. My family and I are on outings a lot and so I would be looking to use it for some landscapes, pic's of my boys. I have read where it has a macro feature at the 70mm end so that would come in handy also. I can pick it up for $ 70 canadian.

reaction
02-10-2011, 6:07pm
35-70mm is such a narrow range, it's neither here nor there. it's not even a fast lens, I don't recommend it at all.
for F 3.5-4.5 at least get a 28-70 FA lens.

but seriously you'll need wider to 18mm or less for landscapes & family
find a 2nd hand sigma 18-55?

xjjohnno
03-10-2011, 4:56pm
Read the macro feature more as close up, so don't be expecting portraits of blow flies or similar macro pics. The price is about right these days but you might find one a tad cheaper off Ebay.

davidbrewster
04-10-2011, 9:10am
Also worth considering the DA 35mm f2.4 prime. It pretty much stays on my camera these days due to its sharpness and versatility with the extra speed. It's excellent for portrait work/pictures of the kids. Certainly a much better lens than the kit 18-55 and fantastic value. When I want more length I have the brilliant DA 55-300. What I'm left without is something good at the wider end – saving up for that :) – and that would obviously be an issue for your landscape pictures.

Cage
04-10-2011, 2:30pm
Suggest you have a look here for a wealth of info for all Pentax lens and most other brands with a Pentax mount.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/