PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have an understandascope I can borrow?

Bercy
29-09-2011, 4:06pm
I am generally (and probably) rightly - prohibited from camera shops, but getting ready for trip to Bali, goodly wife suggested I go to favourite shop on Hutt Street in Adelaide to get a good camera bag. What a great idea I thought - as my regualr camera bag is luggable, so really needed something more amenable for trekking about. So gleefully got another Lowepro back pack, small and had pouch for Ipad and looked great. Showed wife how things would fit..but no! "Just take that small camera, the rest of the compartments are for the kid's drink bottles and snacks".....:Doh:

peterking
30-09-2011, 12:43am
I can sympathise.

rookie
30-09-2011, 5:39am
understand a woman good luck with that :scrtch:. (joking girls)

geoffsta
30-09-2011, 7:47am
Haventgotahope's are generally free. If you try to add a "ineeda" and a "Shewantza" you might get a "Harvachance".
Even if you try a "Hunny-I-wonna". you still end up with a "Bucklees":lol:

Redbaron
30-09-2011, 9:26am
I'm hearing you mate - going through a similar situation with regards to my lens collection....

Kym
30-09-2011, 10:41am
:scrtch: Tell her it's a special camera bag and it has chemicals in the lining to help keep camera gear dry and safe and they are toxic to food and drinks.

Use the untechbsometre for this.

camerasnoop
30-09-2011, 11:10am
Whenever I want to buy myself a new toy, the boss always calls out to her favourite ancestor Emma....as in Emma Chissett. Apparently I am then required to state the lowest price while the boss consults telepathically with the aforementioned Ms Chissett, before refusing the request.

yummymummy
30-09-2011, 11:32am
*sighs* boys boys boys.. this is why I'm the minister of finances in my house ;) hehe.. good luck Bercy!! :th3:

Redbaron
30-09-2011, 11:42am
With regards to Emma Chisset - I've discovered a new tactic. Eg lenses - in my case I'm looking at a $500 lens. I show her a few $2000-3000 lenses, and when she shrieks at the price I say, "I know, but they'd take great photos!"
Few days/a week later the $500 lens pops up on special at Adorama or somewhere - job done!

fillum
30-09-2011, 1:25pm
A few years ago I casually mentioned to my wife that I had just bought a cheap case of wine. She responded by saying that now I'm in my 50's I shouldn't be bothering with cheap wine any more and should be buying the better stuff (which of course she would also be drinking). I didn't check with her, but I assume she would want this philosophy to apply to all purchases, including camera gear :D. I have assumed correctly here haven't I?

She is somehow :confused013 under the impression that most things photographic cost "a few hundred bucks" :D.

Good luck with it Berni...

Cheers.

Boo53
30-09-2011, 2:19pm
I think you need a lot more lateral thinking.

Earlier this year I photographed and published a cookbook for my Mother-in-Laws 90th Birthday. That justified a Tamron 90 f2.8 macro and a 50 f1.4 to replace the 50 f1.8. The book was a hit so I got sigma 120-400 as a reward.

My wife has organised the local communities Carols by Candlelight for the past 4 years on behalf of the Lions club and is doing it again this year. I'm the bunny that has to write most of the letters and find where she's put various files on the computer (frequently). So I can do a better job with the official photos on the night I'm currently waiting for a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 to arrive.

However it can come back to bite you. When we were updating the specified items in our home & contents insurance last year, and she saw what my gear was worth she went out & bought a new car - change over $17,000

In short - you can't win, but can you afford to try :D

Bennymiata
30-09-2011, 4:15pm
Remove the batteries from the small camera, put in a dud card and tell her it's out of action and there is no time to go and get it fixed, THEN you can take your SLR on the trip.
Do this the day, or even the morning before you leave. :)

Arg
18-10-2011, 5:13pm
Explain to her that you will take the small camera if she will take one pair of undies for the whole trip. That way you will both be happy for the same length of time!