PDA

View Full Version : Photography oriented 4wding trip in the ACT area 25-27 Nov 2011

Ezookiel
29-09-2011, 1:59pm
Nothing annoys non-photographer drivers much more than stopping every few minutes for someone to grab a photo of some interesting formation, or great view, or twisted tree, etc etc.
But a lot of 4wding trips have massive potential for photography.
I suggested in a 4wding forum that maybe those who love photography, might consider doing a trip where we'd all be like-minded, and so not mind stopping, and may actually learn from and inspire each other - "wow, I wouldn't have thought to take a photo of THAT" or "wow, I wouldn't have thought to use that angle to take THAT photo" etc etc.
It kind of appealed to way more people than I expected, and since it had to be in the ACT area for me, some people are now looking at arranging similar trips in their own States.

So far we appear to have between 4 and 6 vehicles, and possibly more, all coming along. Obviously if the group gets too huge it won't work, but there is probably room for a few more if anyone here is interested - even if you don't have a 4wd, we can possibly find room for people.

The plan at present is to start from Araluen or Moruya area (depending on which way you're coming) and start from Dry Creek Camp site (prettier than it sound), then hit the Mericumbene fire trail which is about 40km long with steep ups and downs, and great pano opportunities, and would take around 4 hours normally, but allowing much more for regular photo stops, and make our way down into Bendethera to camp the night - the Bendethera Valley is spectacular with views, history, wildlife, and even some pretty impressive caves that prior to the discovery of some of the better known ones, were some of Australia's best. Then out via a stop at "The Big Hole" (Scenic 4km walk) and maybe - and this is a very big "maybe" - extend the walk on past the Big Hole on to "Marble Arch," which is truly spectacular, but is 12kms return, so most likely not happen due to time constraints. Then on to Braidwood to have a coffee, say goodbye, and head off in various directions home.

The trip can be done with a very moderate 4wd, but is not suitable for faux-wheel drives (soft-roaders, AWD's, basically anything without true low-range gearing). There are quite a number of river crossings, so whilst a snorkel may not be necessary depending on river depths on the day, and depending on where your vehicle's air intake is located, but a snorkel would be adviseable - or at least a blind you can rig up for during the crossings. Also be aware that if the weather is bad, then some parts of the track could become quite challenging.

This is not being arranged professionally, it is just a bunch of people with similar interests getting together to travel and take photographs together, so there is no cost (maybe contribute to fuel if travelling with someone else), so if you come along, you do so at your own risk, and you will need your own equipment - having said that, you'd probably only need something to sleep in, as with this many vehicles coming there will likely be more than enough cooking facilities etc. November can be quite warm, but parts of this trip are at altitude and deep in shaded valleys, so come prepared for it to be quite cold at times. So if that hasn't scared you all off....

Let me know if anyone is interested.
If this is posted in the wrong place, my apologies, and feel free to move it.

Ezookiel
21-10-2011, 6:49pm
This is now a definite trip.
Even have the blessings of the Ranger, who has confirmed that the track is open, and put in the only proviso that there may be trees across the track and to take a chainsaw, which we will be doing so, and have cleared tracks before when they've been blocked by tree falls.
It looks like 4WD Action Magazine are either sending someone along, or getting one of the attendees to Freelance a story together for them as well.

I will have the exact details of times and coordinates at the end of next week.
There will be more than enough attendees now to put people into a vehicle if they don't have a 4wd but would like to have a photography weekend in some amazing scenery.

Redback51
11-11-2011, 8:25am
Hi Ezookiel...replied to your original note on 4WD action saying I would be interested. Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend. Will get there one day. Enjoy the trip and I look forward to the resulting pics. Cheers :food04:

Ezookiel
11-11-2011, 6:20pm
No problem.
I'll keep you informed whenever I'm going there to see if you're interested.

Ventureoverland
17-08-2012, 4:29pm
I really like the idea of this...

I have the (camera) gear, got the 4WD (LR Defender), just need to figure out if its too far away from Sydney for a weekend trip and if I can get the Monday & Tuesday off work...

I'll give it some thought.

Thx
Jon

Ezookiel
17-08-2012, 5:55pm
Wow. This is almost a YEAR OLD. This was LAST NOVEMBER!!
We've actually done THREE TRIPS since this was posted, and the fourth is fast approaching.
We did Bendethera the first trip (the one in this thread), then we did the "Lost City" and the Glow Worm Tunnels around Lithgow about 3 months later which appeared in 4WD Action issue number #181), then we went back and did the Bridle Track about 3 months after that (the story from that one is in THIS month's edition of 4WD Action, issue number #186), and the fourth photography trip is now planned for the end of October and is - quite coincidentally - back here in the ACT region.
It's planned to leave first thing Friday morning and go up to Mt Coree for sunrise photos, then down to McIntyre's Hut for lunch, then out to Lowell's Flat to spend the night.
Leave Saturday morning to go out via Flea Creek for lunch and down to Blue Waterholes, arriving late Saturday, and having the remainder of Saturday and all of Sunday dedicated to photography there, as there's just TOO much to not give a whole day to it, then Monday head out to Yarrangobilly for the thermal pool and the caves, and then head home on the Tuesday.
The only problem is, that with each trip, and especially with each article in the magazine (for which we got paid, and credit for our photos), the number of people coming has grown, and this coming October trip is up around 11 vehicles at the moment, and we're trying to set a 10 vehicle limit, or we'll break up into two groups and travel as two groups. However, there are always people dropping out, many at the last moment, so please still register your interest in the trip at the 4wd action forum, in the photography section, and as people drop out you'll already be on the list. The other issue for some people is that this trip is not a long weekend - people need to take annual leave or be free to take the time off.
There are people coming from Newcastle, Sydney, Nowra, and various other locations, so many of those are taking the Thursday off as well and travelling down here on the Thursday so we can start on the Friday bright and early.
Would love to have you along if you are still able to make it. It will be nice to have someone with a Land Rover to take the brunt of everyone's jokes away from my Triton ;P

ktoopi
17-08-2012, 11:38pm
Sounds like you all have a blast.....brings back memories of my 4x4 days with hubby. We just sold our Patrol (extremely modified) only a few weeks ago:action53::sad68:

Ventureoverland
17-08-2012, 11:55pm
Wow. This is almost a YEAR OLD. This was LAST NOVEMBER!!
We've actually done THREE TRIPS since this was posted, and the fourth is fast approaching.
We did Bendethera the first trip (the one in this thread), then we did the "Lost City" and the Glow Worm Tunnels around Lithgow about 3 months later which appeared in 4WD Action issue number #181), then we went back and did the Bridle Track about 3 months after that (the story from that one is in THIS month's edition of 4WD Action, issue number #186), and the fourth photography trip is now planned for the end of October and is - quite coincidentally - back here in the ACT region.
It's planned to leave first thing Friday morning and go up to Mt Coree for sunrise photos, then down to McIntyre's Hut for lunch, then out to Lowell's Flat to spend the night.
Leave Saturday morning to go out via Flea Creek for lunch and down to Blue Waterholes, arriving late Saturday, and having the remainder of Saturday and all of Sunday dedicated to photography there, as there's just TOO much to not give a whole day to it, then Monday head out to Yarrangobilly for the thermal pool and the caves, and then head home on the Tuesday.
The only problem is, that with each trip, and especially with each article in the magazine (for which we got paid, and credit for our photos), the number of people coming has grown, and this coming October trip is up around 11 vehicles at the moment, and we're trying to set a 10 vehicle limit, or we'll break up into two groups and travel as two groups. However, there are always people dropping out, many at the last moment, so please still register your interest in the trip at the 4wd action forum, in the photography section, and as people drop out you'll already be on the list. The other issue for some people is that this trip is not a long weekend - people need to take annual leave or be free to take the time off.
There are people coming from Newcastle, Sydney, Nowra, and various other locations, so many of those are taking the Thursday off as well and travelling down here on the Thursday so we can start on the Friday bright and early.
Would love to have you along if you are still able to make it. It will be nice to have someone with a Land Rover to take the brunt of everyone's jokes away from my Triton ;P

Oops. I feel like a bit of a dick now!!

That said, I'd like to tag along to the next one if I can make it. I'll have a look on the 4wd action site:)
Thx
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner