PDA

View Full Version : I think I just sold my soul...

AmyK
28-09-2011, 9:45am
A photographer friend of mine contacted me this morning, telling me to get in contact with another lady, as she needed someone to shoot a wedding for her.

Phoned up the other lady, who is also a photographer, and she basically said that I'll just be her assistant all day, will take a few photos, and that I'll be using her memory cards, so I don't get any images from it for my folio. I'll be shooting/assisting for just over 3 hours, and won't be getting paid for it.

She was prepared to pay me, until she asked what camera's I have [2x Canon 400D bodies] and she said that she wouldn't pay me because she couldn't be guaranteed good photos from it, but she was going to pay the other lady [my photographer friend that I first mentioned] because she has A 60D body. Yet, me being the stupid pushover that I am, I agreed to do the shoot anyway. I don't want to sound like I'm pretentious, but I think my photos are better than the other woman who she was prepared to pay.

I'm pretty sure I just sold out. ARGH!

fess67
28-09-2011, 9:51am
lol probably.

However, you could look at it that all you have done is devoted 1 day of your life to doing something you enjoy and in return you are going to get an experience that you may not otherwise have got :)

The lead photographer is being protective of the images in terms of not allowing you to keep any and I understand that. The comment about images from the 400D not being good enough is either snobery or ignorance. I still think she should pay you as it is a resource that she is willing to use regardless of her opinion of your cameras.

If it was me I would go along for the experience anyway but I have never done a wedding so it would be worth it for me.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 9:57am
Yeah, I'm glad to get the opportunity to shoot it, and I've already got two other weddings lined up for October, but yeah, it was just the principle of the matter that I'm a little frustrated about. I'm one of those people who can't say no to people who want help with something. I ended up getting off the phone to her feeling very frustrated, so I needed a vent :P

Kym
28-09-2011, 10:37am
The moment they said to 400D was no good I'd have walked.

agb
28-09-2011, 10:42am
It does seem a very low price for one soul.
Can you buy it back by saying that you have changed your mind,that you have reconsidered and that the deal is not good enough.

mechawombat
28-09-2011, 10:42am
It aint always about the camera :th3:

Just ask my buddy with a A900. :scrtch:

Tricky
28-09-2011, 11:13am
How about suggesting a "pay for use" deal? ie if she ends up using any of the photos taken by you with your 400D, then she'll pay you for each photo that she uses. This circumnavigates her misplaced distrust of the 400D and would give you some reward if you do produce better photos than the other lady with the 60D.

Either way, there is value in gaining experience during the course of the day, so probably worth doing anyway. Perhaps also worth asking if the photographer would mind you looking over her shoulder when she eventually gets round to processing the photos / selecting the best ones for the client. This is an important part of the 'end deliverable' that the client sees.

Fredo
28-09-2011, 11:18am
Amy, Amy, Amy . . . oh, you only have a 400D . . . well, that must mean you don't really know what you are doing then doesn't it??
Okay, come on, say it with me - Nooo . . that's it, try it again - NOOO.
See, it's easy.
So the next time a condescending, arrogant, fluffed up, brand snob makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by talking to, when in fact you are helping them out, tell them to get . . . sorry, sorry, tell them NOOOO!
:action5:

AmyK
28-09-2011, 11:35am
It does seem a very low price for one soul.
Can you buy it back by saying that you have changed your mind,that you have reconsidered and that the deal is not good enough.

Maybe not so much my soul, but my personal integrity.

Thanks Tricky :) Once she emails through final details I think I'll reply saying that she has to pay for the images she uses. Cause I'll be freaking peeved if she gives the bride and groom their images and they're mostly mine!!

AmyK
28-09-2011, 11:36am
Amy, Amy, Amy . . . oh, you only have a 400D . . . well, that must mean you don't really know what you are doing then doesn't it??
Okay, come on, say it with me - Nooo . . that's it, try it again - NOOO.
See, it's easy.
So the next time a condescending, arrogant, fluffed up, brand snob makes you feel like they are doing you a favour by talking to, when in fact you are helping them out, tell them to get . . . sorry, sorry, tell them NOOOO!
:action5:

Ohhh Fredo, you make it sound so easy! I'll know for next time though :)

Boo53
28-09-2011, 12:13pm
When I was reading your op I must say my first thought was the same as agb, but as its been arranged through a friend that would cause a problem. My next reaction is the same as Tricky's, if they're good enough to use they're good enough to pay for, but how will you know what she gives the couple.

gw.toad
28-09-2011, 12:39pm
You have her phone number.....Tell her no deal it's not the camera that takes the photo it's the photographer...

kiwi
28-09-2011, 12:40pm
Look, its pretty hard getting a gig as an assistant to a good wedding photographer (Im assuming they are)

Make the most of out it imho

stoogest
28-09-2011, 1:18pm
Congrats on getting the gig, should be a real eye-opener!

One thing you could also consider is telling her that you will use your memory cards in your camera. That way you'll have a bit more control over those absolutely rubbish ;) images that you'll shoot.

Andrew.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 1:37pm
Look, its pretty hard getting a gig as an assistant to a good wedding photographer (Im assuming they are)

Make the most of out it imho

I dunno even know how good she is. Just got the message from my friend this morning saying please contact the other lady, have searched both Google and Facebook for the other lady's name, and haven't found anything relating to photography. So I can't even look at her work to see how she takes her shots etc.

You have her phone number.....Tell her no deal it's not the camera that takes the photo it's the photographer...

Yeah too right. Argh, this woman has just gotten me all riled up with her blatant snobbery and pretentiousness.

Congrats on getting the gig, should be a real eye-opener!

One thing you could also consider is telling her that you will use your memory cards in your camera. That way you'll have a bit more control over those absolutely rubbish ;) images that you'll shoot.

Andrew.

Yeah I'm considering that Andrew. There at least has to be a bit more incentive there for me to do the best I can, instead of just being someone's lackey.

kiwi
28-09-2011, 1:49pm
check whether she's in aipp, might find her there.

mikew09
28-09-2011, 1:54pm
Hmmm - strange comment - 400D is only purchased by crappy photographers who can't take a descent photo so they buy a crappy 400D - LOL. My daughter hired a photographer for her wedding who arrived with a 40D and a 24-105 lens.
I arrived at my daughters wedding with my 400D and my Tamron AF SP 17-50 2.8 and took photo's when not required for formalities.

When my daughter was looking through all the shots with her friends etc to choose which ones to print for frames on the wall - guess whose shots she chose MINE. Maybe I got the only really good copy of the 400D.

I have since upgraded to a 50D and some new glass but still carry my 400D with Tammy mounted and to be honest, sometimes I prefer the 400D for low light shots.

What I don't get, is if this person has so much knowledge and experience in photography, why would she make a stupid comment like that. If anything, I thought it was more about the glass than the body for IQ and all down to the eye behind the hands holding the body that made good photography.
Be nice to have someone say how great your shots are compared to this person hey. Go the 400D, a great camera and served me well.

:angry0:

crf529
28-09-2011, 2:17pm
Fine if the gig wasn't a paying one to start with. But I don't tolerate ignorance or arrogance well, would've told her in which orifices she could insert the gig...

AmyK
28-09-2011, 2:27pm
I should probably add that my friend had contacted me saying 'can you do this job for me, I don't have time, she's willing to pay $50 per hour or more'

And she was prepared to pay me the $50 per hour UNTIL I said I was using two 400Ds.

Have also since discovered that the photographer herself "only" uses a 40D...which is kind of one step up from mine. Yeah sure if she was using 5D MKII's or 1Ds MK III or something I could understand the snobbery a bit better, but come on! One step up doesn't give her the right to not pay me. Sure my friend would have been using her 7D, but who cares?!

Thinking I'm definitely going to back out, but at what cost to me? Will she spread my name as being a timewaster and a flake? Or is it going to be better in the long term for me to just grin and bear it?

And Kiwi, nope she isn't AIPP.

kiwi
28-09-2011, 2:29pm
Do you want the experience ? Forget her, its about what you get.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 2:32pm
Meh, not overly, but it gives me some extra practice for the few weddings I do have coming up that I am being paid for.

I just don't want my name as a photographer to suffer if I do back out.

KeeFy
28-09-2011, 2:34pm
I would take the gig, but since she's not paying you, request to keep the photos as well to use for your portfolio. Everyone wins. You get experience, she gets photos to give to the clients.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 2:38pm
I would take the gig, but since she's not paying you, request to keep the photos as well to use for your portfolio. Everyone wins. You get experience, she gets photos to give to the clients.

She's quite adamant that I'll be using her memory cards...

crf529
28-09-2011, 2:54pm
She can only be so adamant for $0....

Analog6
28-09-2011, 3:02pm
That is absolutely outrageous, she is using you. An assistant is paid for the day even if they don't take any photos.

However, on the plus side you'll get experience of how she operates and what shots she takes and how she manages the guests/wedding party. Take notes, keep alert, and hand out your card to anyone who asks for it.

camerasnoop
28-09-2011, 3:11pm
I really don't understand all the discussion. You discussed it with her. She put her terms. You accepted. If you now tell her you're not interested, then fine, but if you leave it too late for her to find someone else, she WILL spread the word that you're unreliable.

I personally wouldn't ask people to work for no pay, but them I also wouldn't expect to work for no pay myself. I would provide cards and expect them before you went home. I don't like NOT having all the images at home and backed-up.

I shoot for other people from time to time, and I also have others shoot for me occasionally. Unfortunately when you hand over the images, it is a bit like taking a pee in a wetsuit. You get a nice warm feeling, but only those closest to you will notice.

fillum
28-09-2011, 3:13pm
Did you ask her what her issues were with the 400D, or have you just assumed she is an equipment snob? Perhaps the timing / location requires a level of high-ISO performance that she feels might be at the limits of the 400D?

It does seem odd however that if she feels the 400D is not up to the task, that she still offered you the gig anyway (although unpaid). Surely paying / not-paying won't have any effect on the quality of the images.

Personally if I'd already accepted the job I'd go through with it. However no point going through with it if you are not going to be in the right frame of mind to do a good job. If that's the case give her a call and discuss it honestly and professionally.

I hope it works out well for you...

Cheers.

Paul G
28-09-2011, 3:29pm
I'd tell her where to go Amy. How clued up is she really if she thinks it's the camera body that makes a quality shot....
IMO it's more to do with the person holding the camera, the lens used and the said person's ability to use light, than any other factors.

Interesting to see if she's a JPG or RAW / Manual vs Auto snapper. Oh no there I go I've started that argument again!

crf529
28-09-2011, 3:49pm
I really don't understand all the discussion. You discussed it with her. She put her terms. You accepted.

It isn't that simple. She didn't simply state her terms, she changed them.

AmyK contacted the 'tog under the expectation she was taking a job as a PAID assistant/second shooter. However in the midst of the discussion, the would-be employer changed her terms (for no justifiable reason). Doing so whilst talking to someone on the bottom end of an experience/power gradient places them under greater pressure to accept terms or conditions they don't believe they have time to question, process or even consider. How else do you think many workplace employer-employee exploitations are able to take place?

Just look at the wording used: "until she asked what camera's I have [2x Canon 400D bodies] and she said that she wouldn't pay me because she couldn't be guaranteed good photos from it"

There's no discussion of change of terms there. That's the 'tog using her position to pressure the change onto the more junior assistant, as if AmyK has already taken the job as a result of contacting her.

Unprofessional.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 4:19pm
I'd tell her where to go Amy. How clued up is she really if she thinks it's the camera body that makes a quality shot....
IMO it's more to do with the person holding the camera, the lens used and the said person's ability to use light, than any other factors.

Interesting to see if she's a JPG or RAW / Manual vs Auto snapper. Oh no there I go I've started that argument again!

Well, that's another can of worms. When I was on the phone to her, she asked me to shoot in auto, because she wanted the camera to be in control of the exposure, not me, because I 'might not know how to expose properly'. She also admitted that most of the time she shoots in auto as well. Wouldn't surprise me if she shoots JPG as well. I'm going to be shooting my images in RAW and manual modes [full manual, shutter priority and aperture priority] regardless, because that's what I deem to be a professional quality for post production to give a quality product to the client.

kiwi
28-09-2011, 4:21pm
she sounds like a FAUXPHOTOGRAPHER

AmyK
28-09-2011, 4:22pm
It isn't that simple. She didn't simply state her terms, she changed them.

AmyK contacted the 'tog under the expectation she was taking a job as a PAID assistant/second shooter. However in the midst of the discussion, the would-be employer changed her terms (for no justifiable reason). Doing so whilst talking to someone on the bottom end of an experience/power gradient places them under greater pressure to accept terms or conditions they don't believe they have time to question, process or even consider. How else do you think many workplace employer-employee exploitations are able to take place?

Just look at the wording used: "until she asked what camera's I have [2x Canon 400D bodies] and she said that she wouldn't pay me because she couldn't be guaranteed good photos from it"

There's no discussion of change of terms there. That's the 'tog using her position to pressure the change onto the more junior assistant, as if AmyK has already taken the job as a result of contacting her.

Unprofessional.

Exactly. You've summed up my previous posts incredibly well.

And she hasn't even bothered looking at my folio to see what I am capable of. I asked her on the phone if she had seen any of my work, and she said that she didn't need to look, because I would be 100% under her command, so will take the images she wants me to and no others.

crf529
28-09-2011, 4:31pm
I can only see more frustration than learning coming from this 'job'...

gw.toad
28-09-2011, 4:33pm
She's quite adamant that I'll be using her memory cards...

would her mem cards alter the image count on your camera I read it somewhere that they will

fabian628
28-09-2011, 4:37pm
did she even ask you want lenses you use? Wedding isnt exactly a place where fast fps is required like sports where the camera plays a more important part.

I would much rather someone shooting a fast 35/50 and 135L with a 400D than a 18-135mm on a 60D

kiwi
28-09-2011, 4:56pm
maybe ask if she'd like to assist you :lol:

JM Tran
28-09-2011, 4:59pm
Unfortunately, 'business image' goes a long way in photography - where the gear you use is very important too. The advent of the internet and online consumerism and reviews have allowed the average client to have an idea of what is good or not, whats new and old, what works well and what doesnt.

Having 2x Canon 400Ds is fine and all, you can even do internationally acclaimed photos on them if need be and easily done. But to be able to 'appeal' to clients an upgrade is inevitable in the near future. Real estate agents drive flashy cars to 'show' their clients that they are successful in their field of expertise and gives one the impression that they know what they are doing. When they could easily rock up in a 1.5 litre Civic as it gets great mileage and reliable little bugga! Wouldnt want to know what the client is thinking on first impression though.

Maybe the client knows that the 400D does not perform that great with high ISO from 1600 and above, even with fast lenses, she may or may not know a lot of things that we dont give her credit for etc.

Either way, she sounds like the Third Reich, so my advice is to just not do it at all, if she isnt happy with you now, will take a lot to make her happy later on anyway.

Paul G
28-09-2011, 5:03pm
Good points here Jackie.

gw.toad
28-09-2011, 5:26pm
Unfortunately, 'business image' goes a long way in photography - where the gear you use is very important too. The advent of the internet and online consumerism and reviews have allowed the average client to have an idea of what is good or not, whats new and old, what works well and what doesnt.

Having 2x Canon 400Ds is fine and all, you can even do internationally acclaimed photos on them if need be and easily done. But to be able to 'appeal' to clients an upgrade is inevitable in the near future. Real estate agents drive flashy cars to 'show' their clients that they are successful in their field of expertise and gives one the impression that they know what they are doing. When they could easily rock up in a 1.5 litre Civic as it gets great mileage and reliable little bugga! Wouldnt want to know what the client is thinking on first impression though.

Maybe the client knows that the 400D does not perform that great with high ISO from 1600 and above, even with fast lenses, she may or may not know a lot of things that we dont give her credit for etc.

Either way, she sounds like the Third Reich, so my advice is to just not do it at all, if she isnt happy with you now, will take a lot to make her happy later on anyway.

Is her 40D that much better then the 400ds....I think her 40D could be 5/7 years old doesn't sound to flash to me

JM Tran
28-09-2011, 5:36pm
Is her 40D that much better then the 400ds....I think her 40D could be 5/7 years old doesn't sound to flash to me

that would also depend on yours, or mine or her definition of what better is:D. A 40D isnt THAT old, came out end of 2007, not even 4 yrs old yet, and 1 yr younger than the 400D.

camerasnoop
28-09-2011, 5:37pm
Some of you blokes firing Amy up should take a deep breath. All she has to do is ring the photographer and tell her that she is having second thoughts and sort it out that way. Posting it all over the web isn't going to help you at all.

I note you said you have two weddings booked in October, Amy. I also see your gear list below your signature. Is that what you are going to do the two weddings with, and are you doing them alone?

WhoDo
28-09-2011, 6:01pm
All she has to do is ring the photographer and tell her that she is having second thoughts and sort it out that way. Posting it all over the web isn't going to help you at all.
I agree with this, but only in part.

If Amy is being paid then the 'tog has the right to set the terms. She is NOT being paid so the terms should be Amy's; after all, she's the one donating her time to help and support this 'tog who originally asked for help from Amy's friend! It shouldn't be a case of you're not the one I asked, or your camera's don't meet my standards.

By all means ring and say you've had second thoughts on the "deal" since you weren't given any option or input. Say you'll do it for free with YOUR cards and the 'tog pays for any she uses. Alternatively you want assistant rates as a minimum and her terms for cards etc will apply. Can't be fairer than that.

Any 'tog that wants to use your efforts without paying either in money or kind is exploiting you, Amy, pure and simple. JMHO. :confused013

camerasnoop
28-09-2011, 6:06pm
Any 'tog that wants to use your efforts without paying either in money or kind is exploiting you, Amy, pure and simple. JMHO. :confused013

I'd agree with that. Terms though need to be agreed though, even if one party says "Take it or leave it". It still needs to be agreed by the other party to be a deal. Don't be afraid to say no.

AmyK
28-09-2011, 6:11pm

Yeah, I'm planning on upgrading as soon as I can afford it. I did have money saved up for a new body...and then we got our power bill...nearly $1500 for the quarter :eek:

Some of you blokes firing Amy up should take a deep breath. All she has to do is ring the photographer and tell her that she is having second thoughts and sort it out that way. Posting it all over the web isn't going to help you at all.

I note you said you have two weddings booked in October, Amy. I also see your gear list below your signature. Is that what you are going to do the two weddings with, and are you doing them alone?

Yes, that gear is what I am doing the two weddings with, and I will be doing them alone [as sole photographer] but I have organized my partner to come and help out [he's into photography too to some extent] and the couples are happy with that arrangement. Both couples have had my folio presented to them, so they have seen what I am capable of and they obviously like my work, otherwise they would not have hired me. As far as I see it, if they're happy with the outcomes from previous shoots with the same gear, then it's not going to be a drama that I use the current gear I have. I do have extra bits and pieces not listed in my signature, such as reflectors, wireless trigger for off camera flash etc.

camerasnoop
28-09-2011, 6:22pm
Okay, but there is a saying that you should take on-board. It is "Two is one, and one is none." You have two bodies, but one of everything else. Borrow a spare flash and a back-up lens too. A standard zoom would be good as a back-up. See if you can get a f2.8 lens as well. Even if you leave it locked in the boot of the car, it may save your butt if something breaks. I have dropped cameras and lenses, and had flashes fry on weddings. Stuff happens, but if you're prepared, you can keep going and finish the job. Good luck with your dilemma too.

Tommo1965
28-09-2011, 6:32pm
OP

I think you need to ring the person back..tell him/her that you have been made to feel uncomfortable and the suggestion that you dont have a reliable camera or the knowledge to take images at the wedding has made you reconsider your original "yes", and change it to a "no thanks"

its irrelevant that you might want the experience...or that your friend has requested you do a favour , the way I see it is your very pissed off, and to just eat it up is not a good thing to do to your self .

for you own sake { thats all that really matters} let the person know how they have made you feel...life really is to short :(

AmyK
28-09-2011, 6:34pm
Okay, but there is a saying that you should take on-board. It is "Two is one, and one is none." You have two bodies, but one of everything else. Borrow a spare flash and a back-up lens too. A standard zoom would be good as a back-up. See if you can get a f2.8 lens as well. Even if you leave it locked in the boot of the car, it may save your butt if something breaks. I have dropped cameras and lenses, and had flashes fry on weddings. Stuff happens, but if you're prepared, you can keep going and finish the job. Good luck with your dilemma too.

I've got a few back up lenses that belong to my partner, and a flash that belongs to my parents that I can use as well as my equipment. One of the 400D's is actually his, but he hasn't used it for over a year, so I've pretty much claimed it.

Just had a thought...my parents just bought a 5D MKII to go with their 550D. I should just borrow their gear and rock up with the 5D and 550D!

camerasnoop
28-09-2011, 6:37pm
Just had a thought...my parents just bought a 5D MKII to go with their 550D. I should just borrow their gear and rock up with the 5D and 550D!

Yes, but you better get familiar with them first.

ricktas
28-09-2011, 7:32pm
The title of this thread was "I think I just sold me soul..."

Nup, you gave it away for free!:D

KeeFy
28-09-2011, 7:42pm
Yes, but you better get familiar with them first.

You'll need at least a couple of hours to do some shooting with the bodies to get accustomed to quirks and AF speed etc. Going from a crop to a FF, there is a main difference in FOV but the extra stop of DOF does change the composure of the images. Also factoring in the differences in a bright view finder, VF cropping etc. So best to have the gear a little earlier.

Stingray
28-09-2011, 8:11pm
wasn't sure whether to weigh in or not .. but I will lob 2c worth in like everyone else ;)
Not having being in this dilemma (yet ..lol.. but have 1/2 made the decision to ask to do some work exp with some photogs i know) , IMO when they said the bit.. "..and she said that she wouldn't pay me because she couldn't be guaranteed good photos from it" then they would have been "nicer" (LOL) to say why she doesn't think they are up to her quality, and maybe offer you the experience and to pay for any images used

bricat
29-09-2011, 9:44am
Perhaps you should ask your friend what this photographer is like. The photographer sounds very demanding and will only let you shoot when she says you can. So if I say jump you say how high. So really is there much experience to gain. And are you happy to work in that type of environment. If yes then take the job but if you do have reservations then pass. After all this is YOUR decision to do it or not. You are not compelled to do it. From the sounds of it your answer is not to do it. (perhaps say you have another engagement on that day you forgot about) Your happiness and piece of mind are the utmost importance. good luck with your dilemma.

nightbringer
30-09-2011, 12:19pm
From what I have read, if it was me would refuse to deal with someone like that ... it sounds like you're being taken for a ride if all you get is experience, and if the 'professional' shoots in auto/manual and refuses to spare 10 minutes to look at your work and is trying to exert so much control over you without paying you. It sounds like you don't get any of the benefit besides experience, and even that may depend on the events of the day.

Like bricat said, you have to put your own happiness and satisfaction first.

rookie
30-09-2011, 3:57pm
Swap cards (use your card) and at the end of the shoot hand back her empty card and say you are right the 400 dosnt take a good photo.:lol:

Karl
30-09-2011, 6:37pm
What is the experience that you will get from her - if you can't find any info on her or have seen her work how do you know her work is any good??

I would be more worried that she isn't that good and if she stuffs up the shoot she will blame her assistant (aka you), also sounds like a paranoid control freak so I doubt that she will be very enjoyable to work with anyway. But since you have made the commitment to work with her then I am of the belief that you should go through with it - however, I would use my own kit - incld your own memory cards - and shoot the way you feel comfortable with and at the end of the shoot email her the low res shots to allow her to choose which ones she wants.

Karl

AmyK
01-10-2011, 2:52pm
Okay, so here's what went down today;

I did end up getting paid $150, because she decided that she actually did like my photos once she saw some that I'd taken.

I didn't get any of the files, but she's going to send me through some of mine...as to which ones I don't know what I'll end up with, but it's better than none.

I learnt that some wedding photographers aren't as good as their reputation...she had no idea how to get young children to pose for her, so I did all the young kids photos [thank you 2 years of santa photography]. And the bride wanted more candid, happy type photos, yet the photographer was trying to get people to stand and pose exactly how she said, and would get grumpy when the moved slightly.

The bride pulled me aside at the end, and got my details, so she can pass it on to friends etc. and she also said she would have preferred for me to have been doing all the photos as I was so much more relaxed.

So all in all, it was a good learning experience, I'm glad I ended up getting compensation for my time & petrol, and I think I did well with building up rapport with the clients :)

crf529
01-10-2011, 6:00pm
I think you got the best possible outcome from that situation.

Your name will get spread for the right reasons, you'll get some portfolio stuff, you got paid AND you were able to learn a bit about keeping the client happy through her mistakes! Winner!

fess67
01-10-2011, 7:46pm
yep. sounds like you did well. time to chill, have a beer (wine) and enjoy the win <silently yells.....go the cats!!!:party7:> hmmm did anyone hear that??? :lol:

arthurking83
02-10-2011, 1:53pm

I learnt that some wedding photographers aren't as good as their reputation...she had no idea how to get young children to pose for her, so I did all the young kids photos [thank you 2 years of santa photography]. And the bride wanted more candid, happy type photos, yet the photographer was trying to get people to stand and pose exactly how she said, and would get grumpy when the moved slightly.

The bride pulled me aside at the end, and got my details, so she can pass it on to friends etc. and she also said she would have preferred for me to have been doing all the photos as I was so much more relaxed.

I originally missed the thread, and have only just seen it.

Seriously, sometimes you just have to say stuff it, and do it for nothing.
You know the saying .. what you lose in the swings, you gain in the roundabouts ... I'd have given the $150 bucks back, and simply used the opportunity to network the potential customer base available to you at the wedding.

If you are confident of your abilities, then you would understand that sometimes you have to give a little to gain a little bit more, and had you achieved two possible sales .. say of approx $1-1.5K(hopefully more) each from this excursion, then the lack of payment would have been insignificant by comparison.

That the photographer gave you $150 compensation is simply a bonus.

Of course sometimes it's not a good option to give away your time fro nothing, because there is a higher probability that you will get zero in return for it.. say the recent Tennis Australia debacle, where TA were offering work to any prospective slave.. As if TA would then come back and offer the prospective slave a proper job!? .. yeah, maybe but a far reduced rate to the person currently doing the job, because they now know how desperate the slave is to do the work... etc, etc ..

The point of this thread is that sometimes it is a wise choice to give something away and expect nothing in return .. as long as there is scope to further your future from it ion some way.

Each situation needs to be viewed in isolation and the person in the dilemma in question needs to weigh up if there is any advantage in working for nothing.

Now the initiative is upon you to follow up with this successful rapport with the customers. Don't wait for them to come to you. The must be a subtle way in which you can maintain contact with any prospective customers or the bride from the wedding.

Maybe you could offer here a personalised portrait day for her.. or whatever, whether free or paid or whatever.
If you have confidence in your ability then you may need to market yourself a bit more vigorously, but always maintaining a level of restraint.

anyhow.. good luck with it all.

agb
03-10-2011, 12:02pm
Okay, so here's what went down today;

I did end up getting paid $150, because she decided that she actually did like my photos once she saw some that I'd taken.

I didn't get any of the files, but she's going to send me through some of mine...as to which ones I don't know what I'll end up with, but it's better than none.

So all in all, it was a good learning experience, I'm glad I ended up getting compensation for my time & petrol, and I think I did well with building up rapport with the clients :)

Sounds to me as though you finished up with a very good result.
And some work might come your way.
All good .
Soul is probably comfortable with the price.:D