PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tripod for travel or buy a proper tripod?

Cullen
28-09-2011, 12:13am
Hi,

I think I have read everything there is on this site about tripods, plus more on the net. But I'm looking for some more specific guidance to my circumstances, if possible. I have a Canon 7D, the heaviest lens I have now is a 15-85.

I am travelling soon and want to take a tripod with me for some landscape & general shooting (the best I can do with my current lens anyway). Should I take a cheap tripod for travel (any recommendations?) or bite the bullet and get a better tripod for multi-use?

If I go for a 'proper' tripod my budget would be around $500. I want it to be as lightweight as possible for that cost and with a ball head. But I don't want to risk my camera with anything remotely unstable. I see a lot of people recommend not going cheap as you will just end up replacing it, and I would rather not waste money that way if I can help it, unless I get something really cheap.

What would you do?

Cullen

gingermegs
28-09-2011, 8:02am
It's ultimately up to your budget Cullen but I agree going cheap only means you will need to replace it later!
I don't know if you can push your budget a little:) one site we have dealt with is http://www.photovideo.com.au/ They have a good range & are offering a little off regular price for a couple in the Gitzo explorer series.
I really think getting a good one to begin pays out in the end ... apart from the fact that it will last you well into the future you have a good expensive camera so to get the most out of your images you need a good strong tripod that will support it:)
Cheers, Annette

fess67
28-09-2011, 10:12am
I just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB with a 322RC2 ball head grip for well within your budget. Total weight for the 2 is around 2.5kg. Can easiily support my gripped 5D2 with the 100-400 on it. Collapses down to 54cm so fits into even a small suitcase and has a good range when set up from 8.5cm to 146cm (fully extended) 122cm without the centre column extended. Head is easy to move and locks solidly. Spirit bubble in the heads helps with levelling. Nice and solid and not too heavy. Will suit me for many years I think. Bought it to take to Africa next month. :)

The overall weight could be reduced by getting lighter carbon legs but that will come at an increased budget range and in reality only save about 1kg max for the legs. I suppose it depends on how tight your weight budget is as to wether you go carbon or aluminium. Either way, quality over cheap is certainly the way to go.

Boo53
28-09-2011, 10:21am
A few people on AP, me included, have Benro tripods. There travel Angel range pack quite small and come in carbon fibre as well as aluminium.

A quick google search turns up this page, although I got mine from China through ebay. Crazy sales, a site sponsor, has some models as well

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/p2.asp?ItemClass3=BENRO+Alum.+%2F+Carbon+Fiber+TRAVEL+ANGEL+TRIPODS&ItemClass1=BENRO+Tripod+%26+Ball+head&ItemClass2=BENRO

junqbox
28-09-2011, 10:31am
I generally use a Manfrotto 055 Pro with 322 head. I have a road case for this if I'm travelling domestic and will have at the other end. Otherwise I also have one of the lighter manfrotto tripods (w/ball head) (#7015??) for travelling lighter. Holds my gripped D300 without any problems, all the plates still work with my other tripod and it's handy for a backup or to hold an off camera flash. You may want a lighter tripod for the moment, but it's worth seeing if it can build into a larger 'tripod kit' over time. I also use a 190 for my LF camera, but it still fit's with the kit.

Darey
28-09-2011, 2:45pm
Like John R above, I have a Benro Travel Angel tripod and it is excellent on trips. I have used it with a Nikon D7000 and Sigma 100-300mm f4 for bird shots and it has handled the work very well.

I got my Benro (Travel Angel A-068m8 & BH00 Head) from Photo-Shop-Studio for less than $200.

Good luck in tripod hunting and enjoy your trip.

Cullen
03-10-2011, 11:13pm
Thanks everyone for your help! You have all given me great advice, much appreciated. I went on a shopping expedition on the weekend, I still haven't decided on which tripod to get, but I've got a much better idea.

Hypop
22-11-2011, 5:01pm
Hi Cullen,
You may also want to have a look at our range of tripods available.
Great quality and great price :)

http://www.hypop.com/accessories/tripods.html

Cheers,
Paul