PDA

View Full Version : Bowen's Travel Pack or Elinchrom's Ranger?

Edgar
27-09-2011, 11:50pm
Hi guys

Need some help here, I was looking at getting the Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed battery pack + 2x A-Heads, but then I found out for much less, I could go for the Bowens Gemini travel pack with 2 heads + all the softbox/umbrella, stands etc (the Elinchrom has none and needs to be purchased separately).

Although the Elinchrom is rated at 1100ws, and the Bowens I am looking at is only rated at 500ws, is there any other advantage going with the much more expensive Elinchrom?

My intend is to use on location shooting. I just need someone to convince me that Bowens is as good as the Elinchrom. To me Elinchrom is more expensive but with reasons but I just can't figure them out.

Please help :)

kaiser
28-09-2011, 10:27am
Do you need the full 1100ws from the RX? Is portability a factor? Have you considered the Ranger Quadra 2 "A" head pack? 400ws per head but lighter than a speedlight and the the battery is a heap lighter too. That kind of portability I am finding very tempting. It's not much cheaper than the RX Ranger kit but I think you're paying for that portability as opposed to outright power. FWIW I am also in your position and am deciding between Elinchrom Quadra / PCB Einstein.

I can't comment personally on Bowens having never used them - one of their benefits I can see is easy access to a big range of modifiers using the Bowens S mount. PCB uses the Balcar mount and seems to be going through a lot of teething issues with heavier modifiers. The PCB modifiers are relatively inexpensive compared to Elinchrom and the PLMs seem to be very popular. Elinchrom also use a 7mm umbrella shaft which may make any of your current 8mm shaft modifiers redundant. The Quadras have user replacable flash tubes whereas I think the Ranger RX you need to send in for tube replacement? Could be something to consider.

If your go Elinchrom and invest in their modifiers - it offers you an option to upgrade.

I guess you could always hire each set for a weekend and really test them. As much as internet reviews can help - you really need to play with them and see if they suit ur needs.

Kayell are also running a try before you buy on Elinchrom stuff for $20/day.

It's a tough decision and a big investment - good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on.

Edgar
28-09-2011, 8:29pm
Hi Kaiser

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's good to be able to take in as many information from others as possible. I probably won't need the full 1000ws power but I guess I would be thankful if I end requiring it one day. I have actually considered the Qandra and like you I find the portability rather attractive, but they have rather limited light modifiers around.

I only started looking at Bowens after I struggle to find a retail/dealership here in Adelaide that carries Elinchrom in stock for me to test it out. They are all on orders which to me doesn't really help my situation and I have to rely on informations on the internet. But the camera stores I deal with do carry Bowens in stock although I haven't really try it out, it is very appealing to me considering the Travelpaks comes with softbox, umbrella, stands, and carry case.

But every time I research on the internet, I hardly find much reviews on Bowens.

JM Tran
28-09-2011, 9:35pm
Adelaide IS A BOWENS STATE lol, we have a Bowens rep here as well to deal with warranty and repairs. There is zero support for Elinchrom in Adelaide, in Melb and Syd there is:)

Simply put, Bowens accessories are available much more widely from genuine to chinese copies on ebay and online, therefore much more easier to source stuff in Bowens S mount.

I shot with Bowens and Travelpak yesterday for a fashion label on location, I love the Travelpak for its ease of use in swapping batteries when one simply dies, takes about 5-10 seconds of changing batteries, and you can have the option of using a small or large size battery too etc.

Edgar
28-09-2011, 10:54pm
Yeah it definitely is a very tough choice, especially with the fact that I choose a brand and stick with the brand in the future, just like choosing between Nikon and Canon.

Edgar
10-12-2011, 12:30pm
Hi all

I've forgotten to keep you guys posted on the updates. I ended up purchasing the Bowens, it was a tough decision as I really liked the Elinchrom's setup, lightness of the Ranger head and the power.

However, what disappointed me was the lack in stocks and product support. None of the retailers (both SA and interstate) have any stocks available, and could not guaranteed the next stocktake. Then I was also told I need to wait in line as the next stocks are already reserved for other customers.

So I contacted Kayell and they do have stock but are not willing to sell at retail market price as it would be in breach of their agreement as suppliers.

After all that hassles, I am a bit put off by the Elinchrom's distribution systems in Australia and I get a feeling that it is going to be hard to parts and services in the future. And I don't want to go through Kayell as it means I am going to pay a premium over the retail price, but at the same time, no stocks available for retailers???

As confused as I am, I took the bet and go with Bowens. Got my system in 2 days (delivered from supplier in Vic to Adelaide). Although the entire system weighs in at over 23kg, at least I've got the peace of mind I can get all the help and support I need.

Wayne
10-12-2011, 12:46pm
Congratulations on the purchase. Kayell are pretty good to deal with support wise, and of course there is always overseas suppliers who have plenty of stock at much cheaper prices (which is where I got my Ranger RX Speed AS).

Is that 23kg just the battery pack + heads? If so that is heavy!!!

JM Tran
10-12-2011, 2:22pm
Congratulations on the purchase. Kayell are pretty good to deal with support wise, and of course there is always overseas suppliers who have plenty of stock at much cheaper prices (which is where I got my Ranger RX Speed AS).

Is that 23kg just the battery pack + heads? If so that is heavy!!!

no the battery is around 5kg and each head is about 4kg, it comes with support bag and stands and everything hence the weight

well Edgar, I told u how easy it is to get Bowens in SA:)