PDA

View Full Version : CS3 camera raw v canon 7D

B D H
27-09-2011, 4:26pm
Hi All
I have a problem in that any raw image (CR2) taken with my 7D will not open in CS3,
it comes up with a box saying "could not complete you request because its the wrong kind of document"

Any CR2 image I've taken with my 40D opens without any grief

I currently have camera raw version 4.6.0.30 installed, but I note on details supplied with further version upgrade/s the 7D is not included in the upgrade

is there anything I can do to make it happen with CS3 or would I have to look at buying CS4/5

kiwi
27-09-2011, 4:30pm
That's my understanding too.

You could use though DPP and save as TIFF then open in CS3 ?

agb
27-09-2011, 5:19pm
I'm not sure but I think that CS4 does not have it either,I think that it is only CS5 which has the current raw converter for CR2 files from the 7D,
Best way if you cannot upgrade is to use lightroom, or if not that then download the adobe DNG converter, and convert the CR2 files to DNG which can then be opened in your version of photoshop.

B D H
28-09-2011, 7:42pm
Thanks agb & kiwi
I converted a CR2 image to tif to CS3 okay, I haven't worked out how to open/convert an image in DNG, any tips would be appreciated
Cheers

Damo77
29-09-2011, 6:07am
FAQ - Raw files won't open (http://damiensymonds.blogspot.com/2010/06/faq-help-my-raw-files-wont-open.html)

agb
29-09-2011, 7:50am
Thanks agb & kiwi
I converted a CR2 image to tif to CS3 okay, I haven't worked out how to open/convert an image in DNG, any tips would be appreciated
Cheers
Damo's link covers it very well.

JanOD
15-11-2011, 5:39pm
Thank you, B D H for asking, and thank you to all participants in this thread!

I am now a proud new owner of a Canon 600D (up from 350D - YES!). I installed Canon software, and then snapped a few test photos. I had the same problem with RAW on CS3, and wondered what I did wrong. It doesn't even always like JPEG, but I got it to work today - still no RAW. I was just about to ask this same question, but did a search here instead and came to this thread. I haven't read the link yet, but am now heading off there.

I would love to upgrade software to a newer version of photoshop, but my computer can't handle it. I think I have a RAM issue (so says my stepson). So I think my next investment just might be a new computer! : )

Meanwhile, I hope I can make this one work with CS3.

Thanks again, everybody!

jimbob12
18-11-2011, 1:38pm
I had the same trouble, you have to download an update for raw files can't remember off the top of my head, a google search will find it then add it into the photoshop folder... Its an easy thing to do, then u can open the 7d and such raw files

LJG
18-11-2011, 3:29pm
I am pretty sure Adobe stopped updating ACR in CS3 before the 7D came out, so maybe the same with the latest batch of xxxD series as well.

JM Tran
18-11-2011, 3:50pm
no point converting them to TIFF when you can convert them to DNG files and remain a RAW! you can search for the DNG converter on the adobe website it comes for free

another thing, CS3 even updated to its latest Adobe Camera Raw before moving onto CS4 will not be able to open 7D files. The DNG method is the easiest and free solution.