PDA

View Full Version : NEW.... from NIKON

Big Pix
20-09-2011, 9:29pm
http://iamcomings.com/

rellik666
21-09-2011, 2:28pm
http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/nikon-1

New Nikon One.....looks pretty cool....can't see my 70-200 2.8 on it though, even with the adapter!:lol:

ving
21-09-2011, 3:02pm
say it ving... go on!

no... its too guttery...

go on!!!

oh, ok!

http://iamcomings.com/ <---need a tissue?

rellik666
21-09-2011, 3:24pm
:lol: Thanks for that! :lol2:

ving
21-09-2011, 4:01pm
nikon-1 system sounds sound... :th3:

I @ M
21-09-2011, 4:06pm
nikon-1 system sounds sound... :th3:

Dunno about the sound ( speakers are off :p ) but the image samples (http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/v1/sample.htm) don't look too shabby.

Pity about the projected retail price though, seems about $200.00 to $250.00 too exxy in the current market.

Xebadir
21-09-2011, 4:21pm
Does anyone else find the picture of the Nikon 1 V1 with the 24-70 F2.8 attached using the adapter to look more than a little silly?
Seems an interesting system, but I would hope Nikon would be focussing on getting past the 1 DSLR and 2 lenses released this year....its a little light on, and from the looks of it this isn't that ground breaking.

I @ M
21-09-2011, 4:39pm
They do look a little out of place with big lenses but I guess their marketing gurus see a need for this camera ---

swifty
21-09-2011, 5:03pm
Hmm..I can't help be nervous about the sensor size choice but I guess I'll need to inspect the sample images properly when I'm at home and not on an iPhone.

It seems m43 has a larger sensor but equally small pancakes.
Where there might be an advantage if low iso images are good is with the f-mount adapter, a 70-200 would be a 190-540/2.8. So if images up to iso 800 are good it might make a good small wildlife kit assuming AF still works well.

BLWNHR
21-09-2011, 5:25pm
Wow, awesome, I've been hanging out for this! When I work out what the difference (apart from viewfinder) is between the J1 and the V1 I'll add it to my Christmas list. One of those + 10mm prime + F-mount adapter and I'd be happy. With the prime it'd be a great P&S, small and light to save me carrying my D700 to parties and the like.

swifty
21-09-2011, 7:23pm
OK.. phew! ISO 100 definitely's more DSLR like than P&S like. I'm not seeing any of the 'watercolour-like' effect I see in pretty much every P&S-sized sensor camera I've looked at.
ISO 400 seems aceptable. I think for me this camera might top out at ISO800.

Hmmm.. For a Nikon shooter like myself, things just got interesting. And I was so sure I'd go m43 for my small camera needs.

swifty
21-09-2011, 7:55pm
Hmmm.. may have spoken too soon.
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadget/files/Nikon_1_system_sample_image_1.jpg
Not sure of the firmware but in this shot its more P&S territory for ISO100.

arthurking83
21-09-2011, 8:03pm
Hmm..I can't help be nervous about the sensor size choice .....

Note the 10-100mm lens in the lens lineup! This is the vital clue as to why they've chosen a smaller sensor.
It's a lot easier to manufacture a lens like this for a smaller sensor and keep it compact, than it is to produce one for a larger .. even APS-C sized, sensor.
If this were an easy task (for a low price point) then it's have been done already.
The idea is that it keep the entire system more compact AND allows a certain amount of marketing guff ... oops!.. I mean leverage ;) when it's time to sell it against the competitors.

I can't see it catching on too much to be honest. This market seems to be fashion conscious driven. The gaudy colour options are the give away there. The camera itself has no style. It doesn't have the retro stylish 50's - 60's look of the PEN and X100 style cameras. No alligator skins, no silk covered knobs and buttons, no ruby/sapphire/opal inserts and embellishments to speak of... all amounts to lower sales than the competitors systems. It'll probably end up becoming the highest volume Nikon camera, but Nikon have traditionally floundered in the compact market(when compared to the DSLR market) anyhow!

Now with these silly paperweights out of the way .. they'll finally release their real cameras in time for the Christmas rush! ;)

Historically Nikon's 'MO' (marketing operandi :p) is to release a swag of compacts .. then a few days later updates of some of it's software .. c'mon!!! where's CNX3!!?? :action: ..... and then a DSLR or two.. maybe a lens or three too(if that makes sense).

Lenses will of course be along the lines of a 45mm f/2.8 Dx, or a 175mm f/3.5 Micro Dx, and possibly a 13-33mm f/2.8 Dx too and any obscure lens type that plugs the obvious holes in their lineup :D

Sometimes they can(or have been known too) announce the DSLR range prior to the compacts being released, but this doesn't work so well for the marketing department! The sad fact is that if they do it this way, there is very little to no internet chatter about the compacts, as all attention is paid to the DSLR announcements. DSLR internet chatter tends to last a lot longer than it will for compact camera internet ramblings.. so they may as well milk the internet gossip for as long as they can(generally up to a week or so) before they set the multitudes of fora alight with the D400. D800 announcement is optional depending on how many lenses they give birth too!

swifty
21-09-2011, 8:48pm
Note the 10-100mm lens in the lens lineup! This is the vital clue as to why they've chosen a smaller sensor.
It's a lot easier to manufacture a lens like this for a smaller sensor and keep it compact, than it is to produce one for a larger .. even APS-C sized, sensor.
If this were an easy task (for a low price point) then it's have been done already.
The idea is that it keep the entire system more compact AND allows a certain amount of marketing guff ... oops!.. I mean leverage ;) when it's time to sell it against the competitors.

The 10-100 looks pretty massive next to the body. Of course I'll need to see it in real life but I can't see how it would be much smaller than a D3100 with an 18-200/250/270 superzoom.

There are definitely some interesting things about the spec, and the 2.7X crop sensor will have both advantages and disadvantages.
But at least from the initial announcement, I'm not seeing them counteract one of the perceived weakness (smaller sensor than other mirrorless), with the theoretical smaller lens advantage. If the lenses were closer to Pentax Q sized but with a 2.7X crop sensor instead of 5.7X then we're talking.

With m43, Panasonic's doing great things with their new collapsible X kit lens, with more promised. Nikon should be concentrating more on these as well as great pancakes such as the Pentax SMC DA 40mm f2.8.
Perhaps it will come later cos the initial offering is aimed more at the upgrading P&S crowd IMO. I guess there's more volume there and they probably want to gain more traction with the initial offering.

But then there's the price and from that POV I think its more for the enthusiast DSLR buyer looking for a compact system. In this regard (and where I'm coming from), its a wait and see game.

Ultimately for me at least, it comes down to acceptable IQ at lower ISO's. I just saw an ISO 800 shot.. not impressed but to be expected I guess. Have to see more real world shots at various ISO.

Still digesting all the info and looking for more.

kiwi
22-09-2011, 11:01am
http://digitalcamera.jp/html/HotNews/image/2011-09/21/nikon1_137.jpg

I @ M
22-09-2011, 12:11pm
Darren, did you happen to check the exif of that file?

Apparently taken with a Panasonic DMC-GH2, that probably indicates that it is from within Nikon's marketing dept. :lol:

peterb666
22-09-2011, 12:31pm
Small sensors, odd feature sets and controls and slow/large lenses. The appeal is obviously to the consumer market rather than someone that wants and advanced compact system camera.

BLWNHR
22-09-2011, 1:12pm
Small sensors, odd feature sets and controls and slow/large lenses. The appeal is obviously to the consumer market rather than someone that wants and advanced compact system camera.

Just talking to a salesman at my local camera store, he mentioned a number of reasons why he thinks it will sell brilliantly. I'm tending to agree with him.

EDIT:

What's the go with iamcomings.com? It plays a horribly compressed video then just leaves it as a black screen?

ving
22-09-2011, 1:44pm
Small sensors, odd feature sets and controls and slow/large lenses. The appeal is obviously to the consumer market rather than someone that wants and advanced compact system camera.and thats why they will sell like hotcakes

Xebadir
22-09-2011, 2:08pm
At 849 and 649 a pop? Fairly steep one would think for whats being offered.

ving
22-09-2011, 2:24pm
At 849 and 649 a pop? Fairly steep one would think for whats being offered.not when you look at the intended market.

swifty
22-09-2011, 4:10pm
Somehow I think it'll sell well in Japan and east Asia. Forums are probably frequented more by enthusiasts and hence the stronger negative response to the 1-series offerings. But some of the intelligent auto features would probably go down well for the average consumer. It's a bit like sweep panorama from Sony. Serious photographers might avoid it but it's great to have in a snap. My wife has a shockproof Sony p&s that does this and it's great.

Given the seemingly consumer target, I think it leaves room for an enthusiast model. They obviously do have enthusiasts in the back of their minds even if the initial offering don't cater to them. The F-mount adapter and showing it mounted to big lenses suggests this. Or is that just a cool, show off factor. I'll wait for a reviewer to mount a Nikon 1 onto a 70-200 or similar to see if it's just gimmick or whether it's useful.
Maybe a 1-series P1 or a 3-series or something will emerge. Perhaps more direct ctrls eg. some scroll wheels and direct buttons that the Nikon DSLR user will be familiar with.

It remains to be seen whether 2.7xcrop will be enough. I guess I'm reminded of a MacBook Air. Initially that product seem underpowered but conceptually good. When technology catches up it's now becoming a mainstream product with so much potential. Perhaps by gen 2 or 3 of the Nikon 1, IQ indeed will be good enough and lenses small enough. But of course the competition would also have moved by then so the bar would be raised equally.

Dunno..still a fence sitter on this product. Price is definitely too high though. Maybe the volume will drive street prices down.

fillum
22-09-2011, 4:13pm
At 849 and 649 a pop? Fairly steep one would think for whats being offered.Prices should come down. But compare with Fuji X10 or Canon G12, both RRP ~$700 with smaller sensors.

It will really depend on whether it can perform as promised...If so, I'm in...

Cheers.

RRRoger
24-09-2011, 12:10am
The D3100 is too small for my hands and too light weight to handle.
So, this 1 system is only interesting to me.

I am waiting for the D400 or D800 with an Expeed 3 processor and
silent 10-100 FX lens.

knumbnutz
24-09-2011, 1:30pm
Wow, my 120-300f2.8 + 2xTC looks like it will become a telescope with 2.7 crop :)

Moon shots here i come !

BLWNHR
26-09-2011, 1:40pm
Wow, my 120-300f2.8 + 2xTC looks like it will become a telescope with 2.7 crop :)

Moon shots here i come !

1620mm f/5.6, heck yes!