PDA

View Full Version : Elinchrom Ranger Q To Go Set

Shelley
18-09-2011, 4:28pm
Anyone use this portable lighting set up?

I have elinchrom d-lites inside, which I love, but am interested in this. I do a little outside stuff and think I would cover the cost of purchasing by work I have lined up. Is it worth it - I have been close several times over a 12 month period to purchasing, but I then hesitate for some reason.

:)

Shelley
04-12-2011, 10:07am
Well, even though no one answered this one. I went out purchased the kit as the tog doing my daughters wedding used them and I saw them in action. She did a beautiful job of my daughters wedding - the photos are just amazing, not because she use the ranger kit - she just was talented (that is why I chose her).

I used ranger for the first time doing a small wedding yesterday and I love them. I got the adaptor for elinchrom softbox from my dlite 400 kit. I have much to learn.

kaiser
04-12-2011, 4:20pm
Enjoy the new lighting kit. I ended up going for an Einstein kit from PCB and am itching to get some time off work to really put them to good use. Look forward to seeing your results :)

JM Tran
04-12-2011, 4:40pm
Hi Shelley, Ive been meaning to write up a review of them since I did a client shoot with them about 2 weeks ago, but I can give a few of my opinions right now.

PROS:

1) very small and light weight
2) asymmetrical power - A head gets 67% power and B head gets 37% - good for some to use A as main and B as fill

CONS:

1) overpriced for something so weak
2) incredibly slow recycle time at maximum power - 400ws even with just 1 head
3) inability to mount large light modifiers onto them due to the small and lightweight size of the heads
4) inability to overpower the midday sun especially when you want to stop down a lot too

I have been trialing several systems and options for some major commercial shoots in Europe and Asia next month, so I used the Quadras for a wedding and a fashion shoot - definitely not happy with them for the reasons listed above - even my assistants were not that impressed by them.

I'd rather buy the Elinchrom Ranger RX with 1100ws power and much faster recycling time and build than the Quadras. But in the end I made my long awaited switch to the Broncolor system as I wanted the best of the best, and ease of hire of accessories and stuff over in Europe and Asia. Just bought a 2nd hand Mobil A2R kit with 2 lights with the power pack running up to 1200j (watts) and the heads can go up to 1600j with other Broncolor power packs. Much better build quality and recycling time than the Quadras. Even though at new pricing they belong in a different category and not really recommended for casual/amateur/hobbyist users due to pricing of accessories and availability.

Shelley
04-12-2011, 6:36pm
Hey thanks Kaiser - cannot post a lot, but occasionally I get permission.

JM Tran - yep, spot on with your assessment. I would imagine they would be no good for commercial purposes. Yesterday, was the first time I used them. I was shooting a wedding 12.00pm and it was very hot and bright. My 580ex II (I did have a back up flash - but the heat was intense) overheated and I fortunately had put the ranger in the car. I put my guys in the shade as there was plenty and did not attempt to overpower the sun, but my backgrounds were still nice, as I used low power. I just love the portability of the light - even with my softbox - just love the light from elinchrom lights.

I let people know I prefer to shoot when the sun is low as I love natural light - but I am experimenting.

The issue of wattage was something I had looked at, but to be honest for the type of shoots I am doing, small photoshoots etc. I think its fine, recycle time was fine for me - but yet to try the 1/1600 limit for action stuff - something I am looking forward to.

Thanks for your honest review and will let you know in the future if I regret it.

:)

Shelley
29-12-2011, 10:48pm
Well, I am really enjoying my ranger and just love the portability of them. I think I will be adding to the lights, the idea of getting rid of the bigger lights appeals to me now. So far it was worth it for me. They are plasticity, especially around the reflector piece when fitting, but still seem sturdy enough for me.

I struggled at first to get the batteries together, but have mastered that now. I definately need a longer cord though, as I tend to pull the battery over, when moving the lights around, especially outside. When placing people in two different spots for one photo - I would need a longer cord on the light to the battery. I have a strap and bag to carry the battery and can walk around carrying the light on stand, battery pack on my shoulder with my camera if I want to be super light. I often only work with one light, so its super portable.

So far I am having fun with this stuff. :)

Puzz1e
30-12-2011, 1:06pm
If these lights could output 600ws, I would of bought them already!

I did have a couple of questions about them:
1) if you only plug in 1 head to outlet A do you get 100% power or is it still 66%?
2) if you plug only 1 head into the 'Faust's outlet B, what's the Max watt seconds you can get?
3) if working indoors can you run them through mains power!
4) is it right that you can buy an adapter to use the larger soft boxes with these?

Shelley
30-12-2011, 5:03pm
If these lights could output 600ws, I would of bought them already!

I did have a couple of questions about them:
1) if you only plug in 1 head to outlet A do you get 100% power or is it still 66%?
2) if you plug only 1 head into the 'Faust's outlet B, what's the Max watt seconds you can get?
3) if working indoors can you run them through mains power!
4) is it right that you can buy an adapter to use the larger soft boxes with these?

1) - if you use one power outlet you get 100% - when using two A gives the higher output.
A - gives 100% and B gives 33% - two outlets ; asymmetric 2:1 ratio.

Taken from the booklet is the following information:
Outlet A & B: 66% A, 34% B for asymmetric light distribution of power 25ws - 400 ws.

2) Yes you can plug in and use indoors, I haven't as yet, but it says you can. It does say in an emergency whilst charging - it says that efficient recharging will only commence when the unit is turned off. It take 1.5 hrs to fully charge, okay to top up, will not damage it.

3) Max power is 400W that I can get from one power outlet - A outlet.

4) I purchased the adaptor at the same time and use my softbox from my dlite set - so yes. Works well.

Puzz1e
31-12-2011, 2:51am
Thanks heaps Shelley! My decisions are getting tougher...I guess I want flashes that do 'everything's yet cost the minimum lol. Obviously impossible. If these damn quadras were just a bit more powerful I would be all over them! The other issue I read is that people say the quadrant mount isn't very solid when using the adapter and large softboxes. How have u found it?

Shelley
31-12-2011, 11:23am
It really depends, I can only tell you what I use the quadra for. Being portable, there is limitations on what you attach, it's lightweight, but it's what I like. I am not one for dragging arounds heaps of equipment, as I am only little and a wimp as my husband says.

I will post some photos of my setup later today. I have not attached a octagon or strip soft box, which I am interested in. Also, when outside it can fall over if it's windy, so you need weights or a person to hold it.

JM Tran did not like the setup, as he does commercial type stuff and I would imagine it would not be suitable.

You can hire if you really are undecided, as it is a lot of money. I like elinchrom, but you pay for it. I tend to stay with a system, like I do with canon, it makes it uncomplicated for me for accessories etc. You could look at a more powerful light with a battery (still portable) from elinchrom, I did consider, but it was getting out of my set price range. A lot photographers have done this.

It's worth knowing that I do photo shoots, but not high volume - just enough to fund my passion for birding and saving for a lens for birding.