PDA

View Full Version : Cartier-Bresson Heresy

coolie21
18-09-2011, 10:07am
Don't get me wrong. Cartier-Bresson is a god to me. So many iconic images, he has road mapped the 20th century.
But I would be interested in hearing from others who have actually seen the Cartier-Bresson exhibition (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89803-Henri-Cartier-Bresson-The-Man-The-Image-amp-The-World-In-Brisbane) to add in their thoughts. I went along yesterday, and while the street shots and photojournalism were all I had expected, some of the portraits of the rich and famous were - [heresy alert] well, a little bit technically crap [/heresy alert]. By that I mean, a bit ordinary, and often not even in focus. I realise I run the danger here that others run when they make similar comments on modern art.... :D

My other comment on the exhibition is that I would have loved some technical info, or even to be able to gaze on to one of his cameras...

What does anyone else think?

peterb666
18-09-2011, 10:49am
I have had similar feelings from exhibitions of significant photographers. Like all photographers, the work for which they are known is usually inspiring and the other stuff, including quite often the stuff that paid the bills, is less so. To create perfection in every shot may be a goal in some but it will always be unachievable. The real problem could be the people who selected the content for the exhibition.

BTW, I wish I could get to the exhibition.

agb
18-09-2011, 11:25am
I have had similar feelings from exhibitions of significant photographers. Like all photographers, the work for which they are known is usually inspiring and the other stuff, including quite often the stuff that paid the bills, is less so. To create perfection in every shot may be a goal in some but it will always be unachievable. The real problem could be the people who selected the content for the exhibition.

BTW, I wish I could get to the exhibition.

Henri Cartier-Bresson himself chose there images prior to his death. They are never to be printed again I believe.

coolie21
18-09-2011, 11:46am
One of the best bits of the exhibition is a video of the man himself, quite elderly, with a selection of his prints in front of him. He will pick up a print and start talking about it, about the memories it evokes. Occasionally he breaks off and stares into space, obviously the flood of memories is a bit too much for him at times. Priceless.

KeeFy
19-09-2011, 11:34am
To me photography is a two headed snake. You can create the best images in the world but without a background/story to it, it's souless. You can create a lousy image that people pass on looking but upon reading the story/background, appreciate the picture for it's soulfullness or "depth". Best is to create both at the same time but it's not always possible is it? :)

http://blog.keefy.net/?p=337 << one of the images i really like due to the amount of "patience" and "suffering" (vs true landscape photographers it's nothing) i had to go through to take it. Most people may not give 2 hoots about it... but to those who can relate, it's gold.

coolie21
19-09-2011, 12:10pm
http://blog.keefy.net/?p=337 << one of the images i really like due to the amount of "patience" and "suffering" (vs true landscape photographers it's nothing) i had to go through to take it. Most people may not give 2 hoots about it... but to those who can relate, it's gold.

Love it :)

Ms Monny
19-09-2011, 2:35pm
I would love to see the exhibition. I agree that a story sometimes needs to be told to bring the viewer deeper into the image.

KeeFY - I love your image and the fact that you had to endure the elements yourself makes it even better (not being sadistic! ;)). I am going to follow your blog...your images are beautiful!

KeeFy
19-09-2011, 10:08pm
I'm flattered that you guys like it :) Thanks, the photographic journey is still a long exciting one and i have much to learn!