PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Believe I Dropped It

MiniFighter
17-09-2011, 9:48am
Hey all, a sad morning here indeed.

Got up early to see what the morning light would give me, grabbed the camera and headed outside. Was keen as i also yesterday received a wrist strap i purchased on eBay and wanted to try it. Put it on, screwed the tripod mount back on into its new spot not realizing the tripod mount sat skew if as it fouled on the screw that mounts the strap to the body. Clipped it onto the tripod, picked it all up by the tripod head to head into the back yard and yep, you can guess what happened..The camera fell off. I could have cried. It actually bounced then rolled under the bloody house :(
I had to lay down on my stomach and pull myself about 1 meter under the house, was a really really tight squeeze.

I cant see any physical damage other than a graze on the body and luckily, i had a lens hood on and it seems it took the most impact. But, even it has only received a few grazes around the edge.

It seems to AF no prob and everything i tried seemed to work still. I just want to know if there is anything i need to check or try to make sure its still functioning ok?

Should i take it in and have it checked?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Wayne.

PS: eBay wrist strap is still AWOL after being tossed across the yard.

Speedway
17-09-2011, 10:29am
Shocking feeling that Wayne, I would just try a few shots and if everything works, breathe a sigh of relief and think yourself lucky. It always amazes me when I see someone carrying a tripod over their shoulder with camera attached and no safety tether. Re the EBay wrist straps I have them on both my 400D and 7D and think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Keith.

MiniFighter
17-09-2011, 10:38am
Thanks for the reply Keith, ive been snapping random shots all morning and everything seems fine so far. I would never carry my camera like that, i was in the yard and merely taking a few steps forward.

Not sure on the wrist straps, this one in particular just seemed like a dodgy fit. Once i had a good look i noticed the tripod mount wasnt sitting straight so im guessing it didnt lock in properly. My silly fault for not checking it i guess.

enVision
17-09-2011, 1:08pm
Oh that really sucks mate, but I think they're pretty tough cameras. What sort of surface did you drop it on? I dropped my 500D on some tiles from about head height before. No lens hood either, and it all works fine. I wouldn't worry.

As for the grazes, I call it character :)

wideangle
17-09-2011, 1:21pm
Sorry to hear you sad new, but if all is working still then count yourself lucky and keep on shooting:) I was only watching this video of camera "durability tests" of cameras, not sure if it will make you feel any better, but they sure take a hell of a beating! > http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_972587&v=D1tTBncIsm8&feature=iv&src_vid=FWzsXeXCwuc (still wouldn't recommend what they did to their cameras though!)

By the way what are the wrist straps that above posters talk about, what are the benefits over the strap that comes with cameras?

scpleta
17-09-2011, 1:47pm
sorry to hear about that wayne. many many moons ago, i was also in the same situation when my camera fell almost 6ft from the ground. the camera slipped from my shoulder while i was climbing a wall and bang! hit the concrete pavement. the 80-200mm lens attached to the camera absorbed most of the impact. luckily the lens didn't break! while everything was functioning well, i noticed that the lens mount was dented a bit. i had some test shots and saw some issues with the focusing. to cut the long story short, i had it repaired for a minimal cost. :(

ashey
17-09-2011, 2:51pm
Not a nice feeling at all, as above just try all the functions check out some shots on your screen to see if the lens is still focusing ok, and if so all is sweet. Insurance is a good thing to have and not all that expensive, I have all my gear insured for fire, theft,damage, loss world wide. Which takes some of that stress off you, if something was to happen.

reflect
29-09-2011, 6:59am
Sickening isn't it. I dropped my back up body at the beach before sunrise( I actually slipped on rocks and fell, landing on the camera) the battery grip broke,but all else was good. $6.00 worth of "Knead-it" and some blacl spray paint and its good as new..almost. :th3: