PDA

View Full Version : MX5 Mazda Roadstar worth buying?

Pine
15-09-2011, 11:26am
Now I know this is badly out of focus but I need to get some opinions.

I am thinking of selling my Hayabusa motorbike and buying a MX5 Mazda sportscar.

Have always adored the old Austin Heally and I believe this car has a similar feel.

Has anyone got a MX5 and is it recommendable or should I buy something else?

Regards

junqbox
15-09-2011, 11:31am
Haven't owned one, but have worked on them. very reliable, fun to drive. Try and get a later model one without the pop-up headlights, they nearly always end up causing grief.

Pine
15-09-2011, 11:47am
Thanks for that will avoid the pop-up lights.

Was also thinking of buying at least the 2 liter model would you agree?

Regards

junqbox
15-09-2011, 1:18pm
I like to follow the old adage - there is no substitute for cubic inches.

JM Tran
15-09-2011, 1:25pm
I love the old Austin Healy too but the MX5 will definitely win in the handling and cornering stakes, not to mention easier servicing. Have been thinking of buying one as a weekend car for driving in the hills, Adelaide has some of the best hills driving roads and scenic routes in Australia and Im only 15 mins from it:)

I'd go with the mid to late 90s model if you can, the late 80s model with the pop up lights are racking up the kilometres on the engine, albeit still a very realiable performer.

add a set of decently gripped sports tyres, front and rear swaybars and strut braces and it will grip the corners like crazy.

kiwi
15-09-2011, 1:25pm
Michael Coppola from here has one.

I think they are the best open top out there without doubt for the $

Like all 2nd hand cars though you get what you pay for

JM Tran
15-09-2011, 1:31pm
Mike definitely has one and is a very good driver with it too on the streets and on the track, best bet would be to speak to the bald man:D

Rattus79
15-09-2011, 2:38pm
The biggest problem with MX5's is that I'm yet to see any bloke in one not look like a **insert a synonym for rooster here**

Which sucks because I think they are a beautiful car.

kiwi
15-09-2011, 3:12pm
yes, a lot believe them a hairdressers car. A bit unfair.

KeeFy
15-09-2011, 3:12pm
I'd go with a NA vs the NB or a NC anyday. Comparing the 3 versions the feel of the NA , albeit old, is so much better. Small and agile where the NC feels fat and clumsy in comparison. The NB is just a little more numb as well. My friend has a NA with a 2lit turbocharged engine in it. Rapes pretty much anything on the road in terms of cornering and straight line. Of course throttle control is imperative as the back end will bite you with so much power on tap. He once "caused" a heavily modded EVO 9 to roll in Sepang (malaysia) cause the evo kept pushing through the corner trying to keep up with the mx5. At the end of the day the driver matters a lot as well.

To me the 2 roadsters that are track awesome will always be the S2K and the mx5 NA. :) I'm looking to pick up track work again in the next couple of years once i've settled down and i reckon a supercharged s2k will be on the list :)

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:13pm
I love the old Austin Healy too but the MX5 will definitely win in the handling and cornering stakes, not to mention easier servicing. Have been thinking of buying one as a weekend car for driving in the hills, Adelaide has some of the best hills driving roads and scenic routes in Australia and Im only 15 mins from it:)

I'd go with the mid to late 90s model if you can, the late 80s model with the pop up lights are racking up the kilometres on the engine, albeit still a very realiable performer.

add a set of decently gripped sports tyres, front and rear swaybars and strut braces and it will grip the corners like crazy.

We want to do the same and drive it weekends on a breakfast run as we now do with the bike.
I have had the Hayabusa now for 4 years and its a great bike with insane power and speed.

However its time to move on and the MX5 should do nicely.

Thanks for your advice

Regards

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:27pm
I'd go with a NA vs the NB or a NC anyday. Comparing the 3 versions the feel of the NA , albeit old, is so much better. Small and agile where the NC feels fat and clumsy in comparison. The NB is just a little more numb as well. My friend has a NA with a 2lit turbocharged engine in it. Rapes pretty much anything on the road in terms of cornering and straight line. Of course throttle control is imperative as the back end will bite you with so much power on tap. He once "caused" a heavily modded EVO 9 to roll in Sepang (malaysia) cause the evo kept pushing through the corner trying to keep up with the mx5. At the end of the day the driver matters a lot as well.

To me the 2 roadsters that are track awesome will always be the S2K and the mx5 NA. :) I'm looking to pick up track work again in the next couple of years once i've settled down and i reckon a supercharged s2k will be on the list :)

Thats interesting I will take the various models for a drive and see which one I like.

Its all in the driving, power is nice but not everything.

I have a modded Golf 4 1600 with which I have great fun as everyone underestimates it but lots come off second best. Below 3000 revs its as dead as doornail but thereafter the motor is suddenly sweet.

The Busa is strong from the word go but the fastest cars ignores me its no fun.

I like the S2K as well but I am a bit big for it.

Regards

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:32pm
The biggest problem with MX5's is that I'm yet to see any bloke in one not look like a **insert a synonym for rooster here**

Now that is a low blow ha ha ....

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:33pm
Michael Coppola from here has one.

I think they are the best open top out there without doubt for the $

Like all 2nd hand cars though you get what you pay for

Thanks will talk to him!

Regards

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:35pm
yes, a lot believe them a hairdressers car. A bit unfair.

Hmm will not let that put me off.
Its all the very old people driving it that worries me.

Regards

Pine
15-09-2011, 3:37pm
I like to follow the old adage - there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Agree with you but my head goes stupid and I then drive like a maniac.

One of the reasons why the Busa has to go.

Regards

old dog
15-09-2011, 3:46pm
ah....methinks you are thinking as I am. My bike is going very soon and we will probably need a second set of wheels....and the mx5 is a very strong contender. Same as you too about doing the breakfast run on the weekends. julie has a crook back and the cruiser hitting a bump is no fun and I really only enjoy doing a run with her anyway so like I said....the bike has had it`s day.

KeeFy
15-09-2011, 4:52pm
Thats interesting I will take the various models for a drive and see which one I like.

Its all in the driving, power is nice but not everything.

I have a modded Golf 4 1600 with which I have great fun as everyone underestimates it but lots come off second best. Below 3000 revs its as dead as doornail but thereafter the motor is suddenly sweet.

The Busa is strong from the word go but the fastest cars ignores me its no fun.

I like the S2K as well but I am a bit big for it.

Regards

If you think the S2K is small, the NA is definitely out. The NB is about the same. NC is slightly bigger IMO. Looks like NC is the way to go? At the end of the day the NC is a fantastic car to drive and is comfortable to boot. It still handles in the top 20% of cars and is easy to drive day to day. Only qualm is i wished there was more power. Being used to a decently modded skyline, when i jumped into the NC. I felt that the car had a lot more potential with a better engine. May not be as neutral where you can "keep the pedal to the metal" round the corner kinda thing but where's the fun in a car that doesn't bite back? :D

KeeFy
15-09-2011, 4:53pm
Hmm will not let that put me off.
Its all the very old people driving it that worries me.

Regards

/me looks at your profile picture *scratches head*

You think? LOL. Just joking.

Tommo224
15-09-2011, 5:13pm
Personally not a big fan of the MX5, however this year model I don't mind (2001-2003??)
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/carsales/car/private/7073268.jpg

My dad does quite like the MX5s too.

However, my vote goes to a Honda S2000, they really appeal to me! Sound fantastic, perform very well (two close mates had one, both done differently though. One JDM Panda spec, one in a magazine TopSecret Gold)

So if it came down to my vote (which it obviously doesn't), I say go an S2000 :) But I recall you saying it's too small for you?

Well, the MX5 is quite a good little car, from what I've heard they handle quite well, and can be a lot of fun through the twisties (knew a couple of people with modified ones). A fun driving car!

Or what about an RX7? =D too much?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/MazdaRX7-w.jpg

KeeFy
15-09-2011, 7:57pm
Personally not a big fan of the MX5, however this year model I don't mind (2001-2003??)
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/carsales/car/private/7073268.jpg

However, my vote goes to a Honda S2000, they really appeal to me! Sound fantastic, perform very well (two close mates had one, both done differently though. One JDM Panda spec, one in a magazine TopSecret Gold)

So if it came down to my vote (which it obviously doesn't), I say go an S2000 :) But I recall you saying it's too small for you?

Well, the MX5 is quite a good little car, from what I've heard they handle quite well, and can be a lot of fun through the twisties (knew a couple of people with modified ones). A fun driving car!

http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/MazdaRX7-w.jpg

That's a NB series. There is a mk1 and mk2 and the last of it came with a 1.8 turbo which is quite rare to get your hands on! 1999-2001-2004-2005 were the significant dates if i recall.

I think he's out for a roadster so i reckon RX7 is out. Although (post hijack) i would love to have a RX7 one day as well :). Awesome engines those roatrys (not the new RX8 crap). 20B anyone? :D

mongo
15-09-2011, 8:53pm
Pine,

Funny you should ask this question. Mongo is a car fanatic. Mongo owns a couple of cars - one is a new MX5 hardtop convertible 2 litre - just what you have been asking about. Mongo has had about a year now to work out the likes and dislikes. Mongo even wrote to Mazda about his observations. Believe it or not Mazda called Mongo and had a very long discussion about his critique. Mongo probably still has the letter to Mazda and will post it for you. It contains most of the likes dislikes but there is more you should know. Mongo will try and give you more info over the next 48 hours. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

And to Greg who said the following:

Mongo is amused by your simplistic assessment. Do those rooster synonyms types also own WRXs - because this one does :D

KeeFy
16-09-2011, 12:11am
Pine,

Funny you should ask this question. Mongo is a car fanatic. Mongo owns a couple of cars - one is a new MX5 hardtop convertible 2 litre - just what you have been asking about. Mongo has had about a year now to work out the likes and dislikes. Mongo even wrote to Mazda about his observations. Believe it or not Mazda called Mongo and had a very long discussion about his critique. Mongo probably still has the letter to Mazda and will post it for you. It contains most of the likes dislikes but there is more you should know. Mongo will try and give you more info over the next 48 hours. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Mongo is amused by your simplistic assessment. Do those rooster synonyms types also own WRXs - because this one does :D

Dislikes: Lack of grunt, too much heat coming from the firewall, a little plasticy in some places, position of the accelerator, footbrake and clutch is a little weird, brake feel not that fantastic. That's all i can remember about my dislikes. :X I used to drive a REX as well :)

Pine
16-09-2011, 5:05am
ah....methinks you are thinking as I am. My bike is going very soon and we will probably need a second set of wheels....and the mx5 is a very strong contender. Same as you too about doing the breakfast run on the weekends. julie has a crook back and the cruiser hitting a bump is no fun and I really only enjoy doing a run with her anyway so like I said....the bike has had it`s day.

Old Dog exactly my feelings its only fun if Cilla my wife comes along so yes lets get our MX5's.

Keep in touch.
Regards

Pine
16-09-2011, 5:24am
If you think the S2K is small, the NA is definitely out. The NB is about the same. NC is slightly bigger IMO. Looks like NC is the way to go? At the end of the day the NC is a fantastic car to drive and is comfortable to boot. It still handles in the top 20% of cars and is easy to drive day to day. Only qualm is i wished there was more power. Being used to a decently modded skyline, when i jumped into the NC. I felt that the car had a lot more potential with a better engine. May not be as neutral where you can "keep the pedal to the metal" round the corner kinda thing but where's the fun in a car that doesn't bite back? :D

Its not as though I don't fit in the S2K its just a bit tight.
if Jeremy Clarkson, of Top Gear, makes it in the MX5 then I should as well and he is a bit taller.

Have Googled today and agree that I probably will go for the NC mainly because
its bigger and faster.

As you say a little more power like Golf GTI would have been nice but overall I like the MX5
more than the Z4 BMW and the SLK Merc which are too revined.

Regards

Pine
16-09-2011, 5:33am
/me looks at your profile picture *scratches head*

You think? LOL. Just joking.

Yea I might not be that young but there are even older and worse looking Dudes than me.

Mentally I have never grown up so from where I am looking from I am still young....ha ha...

Its all in the mind life is there to be enjoyed.

Regards

Pine
16-09-2011, 5:42am

Keefy
Dont get me wrong I like the Honda as well and although its a bit small I can live with it.

Funny I don't like the RX7 the sound puts me off.

Must admit a rode test by Top Gear grabbed me.
They of course love the Honda as well.

Regards

Pine
16-09-2011, 5:58am
Pine,

Thanks Mongo will love to see your letter to Mazda.

I have been consulting for 12 years which pays good money but it is erratic so if I buy a new vechile then the cash must be in hand.

So normally I control my car or bike fanatism until its time for another.

Selling the Busa is a big decision as I love the bike but its time to ease back.

So buying a little Roadster in the Busa place is a big decision and the replacement has to be special and must excite me.

So if Mongo likes the MX5 I will as well. (How about a picture of your MX5)

Lets keep in touch.

Regards

Rattus79
16-09-2011, 8:52am
Pine,

No Mongo, they own Skylines.

terry.langham
16-09-2011, 11:35am
Would have to be one heck of a car to come close to the feeling you get on a bike. I have tried a few (after selling my Z1000 and ZX6R), but nothing I have been in cut it, so now I drive a N/A diesel 80series Landcruiser and rely on big hills and bogholes for my excitement.

Must say, an S2K came very close but a bit impractical with two small kids.

KeeFy
16-09-2011, 11:59am
Would have to be one heck of a car to come close to the feeling you get on a bike. I have tried a few (after selling my Z1000 and ZX6R), but nothing I have been in cut it, so now I drive a N/A diesel 80series Landcruiser and rely on big hills and bogholes for my excitement.

Ariel Atom or a Canterham should come close if you want direct comparisons. But i agree.. not many road cars beats a bike. Also cornering hard in a bike is so different from doing so in a car! So i'd say apples and oranges.

Bennymiata
16-09-2011, 3:11pm
I've had 3 MX-5's (all bought new) starting with an NA (pop-up headlights) in 1993, then an NB8A in 99, then in 2002, I bought an SP (the rare, high powered turbo model) which I still own and covet greatly.

They are fantastic cars!
In fact, I traded in a Porsche Turbo for my first MX-5!

I've done lots of road driving as well as racing in my MX-5's, and they are great fun.
Power is not really important in an MX-5, as they are just so responsive and fun to drive.
Other cars may beat you on the straight, but they will fall back under brakes or around corners (unless you get a turbocharged one, then they won't see where you even came from)!
I've driven a few Honds S2000's as well, and they are also great to drive, but you have to rev the beejeesus out of them to get any fun, and they are very impractical with tiny boots and virtually no glovebox etc.
At least with the MX-5, you can fit a lot into the boot, in fact, my wife and I use it for our supermarket shopping and we've even gone away for 10 days in it and managed to fit everything we needed into the boot.

There are MX-5 clubs all over the world, and they are a very friendly bunch and happy to help out, so I would find out about your local MX-5 club and contact them and arrange to go to one of their events, where you can see all the models in one place and I'm sure the owners would be happy to take you for a ride so you can see and feel what they are really like.
They're easy to drive, yet they are very tough cars.
I used to teach people how to drive on a race-track, and have driven many types of cars, but the MX-5's were one of the few cars you could thrash aroud a track all day long, and all they needed was petrol, where many other cars had all sorts of problems even just doing a few laps before their power steering pumps overheated, hell, I even had an MG drop a wheel on me once, and a BMW M3's fancy automated manual box try and select numerous gears all at once.

Mx-5's are cheap to run, cheap to insure and you can get parts forthem very easily too. both OEM and aftermarket, and there are so many things you can do to them to personalise them just for you.

If you buy one, and find out it doesn't suit you, they are also easy to sell afterwards as they have a great, and deservedly so, reputation.

Here's a poor shot of my car.

KeeFy
16-09-2011, 4:46pm
I've had 3 MX-5's (all bought new) starting with an NA (pop-up headlights) in 1993, then an NB8A in 99, then in 2002, I bought an SP (the rare, high powered turbo model) which I still own and covet greatly.

They are fantastic cars!

I've done lots of road driving as well as racing in my MX-5's, and they are great fun.
Power is not really important in an MX-5, as they are just so responsive and fun to drive.
Other cars may beat you on the straight, but they will fall back under brakes or around corners (unless you get a turbocharged one, then they won't see where you even came from)!
I've driven a few Honds S2000's as well, and they are also great to drive, but you have to rev the beejeesus out of them to get any fun, and they are very impractical with tiny boots and virtually no glovebox etc.
At least with the MX-5, you can fit a lot into the boot, in fact, my wife and I use it for our supermarket shopping and we've even gone away for 10 days in it and managed to fit everything we needed into the boot.

There are MX-5 clubs all over the world, and they are a very friendly bunch and happy to help out, so I would find out about your local MX-5 club and contact them and arrange to go to one of their events, where you can see all the models in one place and I'm sure the owners would be happy to take you for a ride so you can see and feel what they are really like.
They're easy to drive, yet they are very tough cars.
I used to teach people how to drive on a race-track, and have driven many types of cars, but the MX-5's were one of the few cars you could thrash aroud a track all day long, and all they needed was petrol, where many other cars had all sorts of problems even just doing a few laps before their power steering pumps overheated, hell, I even had an MG drop a wheel on me once, and a BMW M3's fancy automated manual box try and select numerous gears all at once.

Mx-5's are cheap to run, cheap to insure and you can get parts forthem very easily too. both OEM and aftermarket, and there are so many things you can do to them to personalise them just for you.

If you buy one, and find out it doesn't suit you, they are also easy to sell afterwards as they have a great, and deservedly so, reputation.

Here's a poor shot of my car.

I expected more out of a photographer than that kinda shot! Does the car no justice :( LoL. I've always wanted to try out the 1.8t but it's just so rare! I like the NA for the gokart feel when driving the car. Great writeup on the MX-5 and i have to agree. They are phenomenal cars that works as both a daily and some trackwork. The boot of the NC is so big i could fit a 20 men bbq food and drinks and extras!

I agree that it does have a lot more creature comforts vs the S2K. I drove my friend's S2K and ... well as a daily driver... i'm constantly wanting to rev the hell out of it just for it to move. Low end torque is like driving a 1.3 liter pickup that's fully loaded. LoL. Thus the need for some supercharging. I've read a lot of good stuff about supercharging the s2k and have yet to experience one as well. Makes it's a daily driver i guess? I don't know. Just part of my "have owned and driven that" kinda thing. I might go back to a MX-5 one day as well if i can pick up a turbo version.

BTW... I'm no better! :D
http://thewedding.melissaandkeith.info/wp-content/uploads/catablog/originals/_MG_2860.jpg

mongo
16-09-2011, 10:22pm
Pine,

Just a few very quick images taken in less than 10minutes today just to give you an idea of what Mongo-2 looks like. Also threw one in of Mongo-1.

One of the best things about this particular car is the colour. Mongo would not have purchased it unless it was this colour. No end of comments from most people who see it about how much they just love the colour . After all, it is a fun car that deserves a fun colour. Black is for people with no imagination and certainly, not for this body shaped car.

I have attached the letter to Mazda – you will note it is fairly direct – Mongo does not mince words when he feels strongly about something. In addition to those items , Mongo also mentioned (during his discussions with Madza) that the clutch pedal travel distance is longer than one would expect in this sort of car. That is, do not design the clutch for women in high heels – get serious and design it for real drivers. Also mentioned that the flow through air is always hot. When Mongo examined this he noted that the flow through air is the same air for the engine intake and therefore is channelled through the engine bay. This, Mongo thinks is another design flaw and the air will always be hot in those circumstances. The notchy gearbox was largely fixed by Mongo replacing the existing oil with a much better oil – Castrol “Syntrans” or “Syntrax” (cannot remember which but also used it to cure the same problem in the WRX)

The most important thing is size. If your Avatar is accurate, you look to be about 6 foot plus and of normal weight for your height. Mongo is a petite creature and just manages. Strongly suggest you sit in one and get in and out of it with the roof up (not folded down). This will reveal a lot about its suitability for you. The extract of the Mazda letter is below. Mongo has removed the text under " factory technical support" as it may be inappropriate to reproduce here. Suffice it to say that Mongo was very very disappointed and unimpressed :

1. Foot rest / clutch pedal operation.

The foot rest can and does interfere with the operation of the clutch pedal. In my view, the foot rest is unnecessarily larger (wider) than it needs to be particularly given the limited space in and around the pedal area. It should be remembered that the "foot rest" does not have to be and is not intended to be a "foot pad"; particularly where it has the potential to interfere with the safety and enjoyment of driving the vehicle. It is very concerning when it appears that Mazda is placing higher priority on fancy pedal design over and above driving pleasure and safety. I take a size 6 shoe and have this problem. Friends who have driven the vehicle with a larger and more average shoe size have also encountered this problem. In my respectful view, a smaller foot rest would be more than adequate and would overcome this entire problem at very little to no cost to Mazda. I regard this as a minor fix which will result in major improvement.

2. Gearbox

(a) operation
Gears, 1, 2 and 3 (particularly 2 and 3) at very notchy and even difficult to engage until the vehicle has driven approximately 6 kilometres. I assume that this occurs until the gearbox is a little more "run in" or because the gearbox oil needs to reach a higher operating temperature (from cold). Until the gearbox reaches this operating plane, it is awkward and even dissatisfying to drive the vehicle. All other gears operate smoothly from cold to full operating temperature. It is difficult to assume that Mazda's engineers intend the vehicle to operate in this manner. If it does not improve significantly after an additional period of running in, I can only assume that my gearbox is defective or has a design flaw.

(b) ratios
The present ratios are a little too tall for the torque characteristics of this engine. A reduction in the ratio of at least the first 3 gears would greatly improve the driving experience with this vehicle. The present ratios detract from the full drivability of the vehicle giving it an underpowered and disappointing characteristic.

3. Power

Whilst that the vehicle handles extremely well and the engine has some pleasing characteristics about it, it is a little underpowered and disappointing given the nature and potential of the overall vehicle. Whilst I feel the vehicle could better reach its potential with a mild turbo, there is no doubt in my mind that noticeable and perhaps adequate gains in this area could be achieved by adopting more appropriate gear ratios (see item "2" above).

4. Fuel intake system

As you know, the fuel cap and intake are located on a horizontal plane. The design characteristics of the petrol cap (which is tethered) and intake nozzle give rise to some difficulties when putting fuel in the vehicle. It is awkward (and certainly less than comfortable or ideal) to try and position a browser nozzle where you have a tethered cap within a limited space. This also creates a greater possibility of scratching the vehicle's paintwork around the open petrol hatch. I have also noticed that the design of the intake often leads to the browser pump switching off presumably because it encounters fuel backup or resistance at or immediately below the fuel intake point. These are design issues about which I can add very little. One immediate improvement might be to lengthen or do away with the tether to the petrol cap but there are clearly other matters which may require your attention.

5. Running - in instructions

These are virtually non-existent in the manual. A mere statement to avoid excessive engine revs is quite meaningless and does not properly set out how to correctly run in the engine. That information alone will not properly run in an engine and as such, may lead to unnecessary damage being caused. The correct method is well known and would cost Mazda nothing to ensure it is printed in the manual.

6. Spare tyre

Whilst noting the limited available space for a spare tyre, the fact that the vehicle does not have one is a major feature flaw. It was the major feature which almost led me not to purchase the vehicle and I still have concerns about it. Whilst these features may be considered fine in Europe with its closer knit towns, it is certainly not the case in Australia with its expensive unpopulated areas. The repair kit provided is equally undesirable if it leads to the destruction of otherwise good and often expensive tyres. Perhaps some thought should be given to a design which will incorporate a spare tyre.

7. Factory technical support

(see Mongo's note above - very very disappointed and unimpressed)

fess67
16-09-2011, 10:41pm
I have an RX8 and I can recommend it for a fun drive. Looks great on the road and corners very well. Have to drive it hard on the revs to do anything and I have to admit it really is in desparate need of a turbo. Despite that, I always ge look in my car and everyone under 80 wants to race me......of course I do not oblige but it is fun to know they have a need to beat me :D

Advantage of the RX8, it really is an honest 4 seater, and I mean 4 full sized adults fit easily.

Looking for a fun drive, RX8. Looking for fast and fun, stick with the bikes.

PS. drive in iracing.com have a blast driving in a simulated environment. MX5 is there as well as the Falcon V8. Several V8 drivers use it as a practice tool as it is pretty accurate.

OwenS
16-09-2011, 11:01pm
MX5 is great fun but JESUS MATE! You've got a BUSA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQP4v_Z0nQ Nuff said.

KeeFy
16-09-2011, 11:21pm
Mongo... i pretty much feel the same way.
I always thought it's the nozzel when it cuts off. I've experienced it in all my cars and always thought it's just part and parcel of a crappy Western Australian fuel pump nozzle. Now that you've mentioned it.. it does occur more on the MX-5... i think?

A few points i don't really agree to:
The gearbox thingy, maybe i'm used to notchy gearboxes i guess. It wasn't hard to put it in like an abused GC8 or skyline.
Running in instructions - i feel it's quite comon knowledge on how to run in a car's engine. First new car onwers may not know.. so that's a good point?
Gear Ratios - Actually i felt a drop in the final drive would have been better rather than the first 3 gears. Or a turbo :D

mongo
17-09-2011, 6:32am
..The gearbox thingy, maybe i'm used to notchy gearboxes i guess. It wasn't hard to put it in like an abused GC8 or skyline.
Running in instructions - i feel it's quite comon knowledge on how to run in a car's engine. First new car onwers may not know.. so that's a good point?
Gear Ratios - Actually i felt a drop in the final drive would have been better rather than the first 3 gears. Or a turbo :D

The gearbox thingy – believe Mongo when he says that when this sort throw 6 speed box is working as silky as Mongo’s is now, it is a delight (and quicker to use) to use and could never go back to the tractor-like box of before.

Running in correctly is not common knowledge (especially to hairdressers and high heel wearers). Only good car enthusiasts would know so there is a point in Mazda printing it and it would cost them nothing to do so.

Not sure Mongo agrees with you re the first 3 gears but agrees with you about the final drive ratio.

Additionally, it seems turbos are not the go with these as much as superchargers are . About $3000 bolt on from the US when it runs out of warranty in a couple of years time.

Pine
18-09-2011, 1:46am

Hi Terry
You are right a bike is better than sex but it is time to sell the Hayabusa really I drive like a maniac.

I have various hobbies that helps including going off road with my Cherokee Jeep which I bought new (See photo taken at Sani Pass)

Funny my modified Golf 4 is also great fun although its not that fast it has a willing little engine and gives a lot of unsuspecting cars a bloody nose.

I intend to have the MX5 tuned as well.

The problem with known performance bikes or cars is that no one takes them on.

Also here in South Africa we still drag one another at robots.

My kids are grown up so Cilla and I can use 2 seater

Keep Well

Pine
18-09-2011, 1:55am
Hi Keefy
The MX5 is simply stunning in red and one of my favourite colours!
I would never have sold it.

Regards

Pine
18-09-2011, 2:58am
Hi Mongoo
Your right at 6 feet 3 inch and 106 kgs I am a bit big however have sat in the NC and its okay...

Thanks for the info its most useful.

I like the yellow on the MX5 as well lovely car.

How big is your boot when the canopy is down?

Really looking forward to my MX5

Regards

Pine
18-09-2011, 3:15am
[QUOTE=Bennymiata;917395]I've had 3 MX-5's (all bought new) starting with an NA (pop-up headlights) in 1993, then an NB8A in 99, then in 2002, I bought an SP (the rare, high powered turbo model) which I still own and covet greatly.

They are fantastic cars!

Hi

Cilla and I am now at the stage of our life were we take a pleasant drive on a breakfast run chatting away.

So I need a cute little roaster that drives well.

When I am on my own I will trash it a bit and its important that is not that powerful otherwise I can just as well keep the Busa.

Sure here is a MX5 club will go and talk to a few owners and bum a ride.

Thanks for the info I am now dead set on a MX5.

Regards

Pine
18-09-2011, 3:21am
Oven7
Yes you are right but I have had the Busa now for 4 years.
I bought it new in 2007 and have had great fun on it and it still scares the sh.....t out of me.

But that only lasts until I open it up the first time and then I don't care and drive like blazes and that is the rub.....

It pulls like a steam engine from the word go and goes like the devil its absolutely insane and I will miss it.

However its time to move on and I think the MX5 will do me nicely.

Can always buy another bike.

Regards

Pine
18-09-2011, 3:38am
I have an RX8 and I can recommend it for a fun drive. Looks great on the road and corners very well. Have to drive it hard on the revs to do anything and I have to admit it really is in desparate need of a turbo. Despite that, I always ge look in my car and everyone under 80 wants to race me......of course I do not oblige but it is fun to know they have a need to beat me :D

Advantage of the RX8, it really is an honest 4 seater, and I mean 4 full sized adults fit easily.

Looking for a fun drive, RX8. Looking for fast and fun, stick with the bikes.

PS. drive in iracing.com have a blast driving in a simulated environment. MX5 is there as well as the Falcon V8. Several V8 drivers use it as a practice tool as it is pretty accurate.

Look you are right the RX8 is great.
I have actually driven one and it is really nice.

My friend's Porche Boxer is just as nice but my attraction to the MX5 goes back to loving the Austin Heally in my teens as its similar.

All a matter of choice

Best Regards

mongo
18-09-2011, 12:33pm
....Your right at 6 feet 3 inch and 106 kgs I am a bit big however have sat in the NC and its okay...

How big is your boot when the canopy is down?...

Mongo is surprised at 6ft 3in you fit comfortably in this car but that’s great if you do.

In relation to boot space when the canopy is down, there is NO change. The roof folds down into a separate compartment located between the boot and the back of the seats so the boot space is totally unaffected and is quite reasonable in size to begin with.

Pine
18-09-2011, 3:17pm
Mongo is surprised at 6ft 3in you fit comfortably in this car but that’s great if you do.

In relation to boot space when the canopy is down, there is NO change. The roof folds down into a separate compartment located between the boot and the back of the seats so the boot space is totally unaffected and is quite reasonable in size to begin with.

Now that is nice the SLK for instance has virtually no boot.

Cilla and I will probably use the MX5 for longer distances and some boot space will be nice.
Like Australia we have great distances to travel and we love to drive.

Make no error its a tight fit but so be it.

Of course the SLK is made for me size wise but its too refined and does not grab me.

Thanks for all your info.

Hopefully I will post picts of my MX5 soon.:rolleyes:

Regards

KeeFy
18-09-2011, 5:16pm

I'm surprised as well! I'm 1.75m/5.7" and about 80+kgs. So i'm not that big nor tall. But i feel a little cramped in the mx-5 and have hit my head on the roof on one occasion going over a speed bump too quickly (didn't see it).

Boot is definitely big for a car size that small. If i recall i could fit 2 maximum sized cabin legal carry on suitcases with plenty of room to spare for other stuff here and there! I was amazed at how big the boot is. The porsche boxter has a smaller boot than a slk ... if you think the slk is bad! LoL.

mongo
18-09-2011, 9:02pm
good luck Pine. Mongo would love to see the photos of the new car when you get it.

Pine
19-09-2011, 12:01am
I'm surprised as well! I'm 1.75m/5.7" and about 80+kgs. So i'm not that big nor tall. But i feel a little cramped in the mx-5 and have hit my head on the roof on one occasion going over a speed bump too quickly (didn't see it).

Boot is definitely big for a car size that small. If i recall i could fit 2 maximum sized cabin legal carry on suitcases with plenty of room to spare for other stuff here and there! I was amazed at how big the boot is. The porsche boxter has a smaller boot than a slk ... if you think the slk is bad! LoL.

My head was close to the Boxer's roof as well and must admit it felt a bit crowded.

Also in the Honda the leg space was a bit short so at my lenght it is a problem.

The top was down when I sat in the MX5 will have to check again.

I am really interested in driving with the top down when on a breakfast run the top is really just for rain. In the winter we will mainly park it.

We have another 3 cars so the MX5 is supposed to replace the bike and be the fun vechile driven on occasion.

Keefy thanks for all the info.:th3:

Regards

Redbaron
19-09-2011, 6:10am
Have fun with it Pine, sounds like the MX5 will suit you well. You're only as old as you feel. Drive safe.

Bennymiata
19-09-2011, 3:27pm
]
I expected more out of a photographer than that kinda shot! Does the car no justice :

Is this any better?

Or maybe this one taken with my new Tokina UWA.

The pics are just snapshots.
I never get the time to prepare my cars for photos!
Mind you, sometimes I don't know which wheels are on the car as I have a number of sets of wheels depending on if I'm just street driving, racing or drifting in it.

If you want to have a ride in it Keefy (and it puts out around 200kW at the back wheels!), send me a PM. I work in Botany and live on the lower North Shore, and I'd be happy to give you a ride whenever you like (within reason).

ving
19-09-2011, 9:36pm
I know they are good cars, but like kiwi I can't help but to think hairdresser. Go a Porsche, it more respectable (says the guy with an astra :rolleyes:)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

KeeFy
19-09-2011, 10:07pm
]

Is this any better?

Mind you, sometimes I don't know which wheels are on the car as I have a number of sets of wheels depending on if I'm just street driving, racing or drifting in it.

If you want to have a ride in it Keefy (and it puts out around 200kW at the back wheels!), send me a PM. I work in Botany and live on the lower North Shore, and I'd be happy to give you a ride whenever you like (within reason).

I know what you mean. I've not taken photos of my own cars as well. Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on that offer one day! With 200KW it is quite a monster for a car that light and sized!
I used to run Bridgestone RE55s for track use, I've tried Falken RT 615 as well but still love the 55s. Kumho KU31s for dailys. What do you use?

I know they are good cars, but like kiwi I can't help but to think hairdresser. Go a Porsche, it more respectable (says the guy with an astra :rolleyes:)

Well that's the typical mindset of people who are not true car fanatics IMO. :)

kiwi
19-09-2011, 10:13pm
I'm a car lover, but it's a stereotypical view of the mx5 as being an effeminate sportscar, IMO.

Is it fair ? No, course not, doesnt mean it's not true though does it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hairdressers%20car

Most cars have a stereotype associated with it

Eg, who drives a falcon xr8 ..... A Kia carnival......a rolls ?.....a Mazda 3 ?

Pine
20-09-2011, 10:49am
]

Is this any better?

That is serious amount of power.

Is this a standard motor ex factory or tuned afterwards.

Nice shot of the back light ...:rolleyes:

Must say the MX5 looks good in silver

Regards

Pine
20-09-2011, 10:54am

Its all a matter of opinion :lol:

Can always say "Its my wifes car my Mustang is in for service" :rolleyes:

Seriously I simply love the classic British sportscar look..

Regards

Pine
20-09-2011, 10:58am
Have fun with it Pine, sounds like the MX5 will suit you well. You're only as old as you feel. Drive safe.

Thanks Baron I am looking forward to my "Red MX5" has to be red..........:D.

Regards

Pine
20-09-2011, 11:13am
I'm a car lover, but it's a stereotypical view of the mx5 as being an effeminate sportscar, IMO.

As Jeremy Clarkson says "Verdict: Hairdressing just got butch"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article725965.ece

If he likes it cannot be too much of a gay little car ......:rolleyes:

He really does not mince words.....

It was their review that got me interested in the MX5.

They review a lot of cars and also critise some good cars if they like the MX5 it cannot be that bad...

Nice talking to you

Regards

Bennymiata
20-09-2011, 11:18am
If Mx-5's are hairdresser cars, then there are a lot of hairdressers racing, as the MX-5 is the most popular car raced in grass-roots racing in Oz, and the NSW MX-5 CLub have won the interclub Golden Shield for Supersprints for about 5 of the last 7 years.

Anyway, my wife's hairdresser drives an HSV Holden, so what does that make him?

My Mx-5 is an SP, which is a high powered turbo version of which only 100 were ever made.
Standard, they put out 157kW at the engine, but I've had the chief mechanic of Mazda Motorsports re-build my engine and tune it properly.
While it puts out prodigious amounts of power, it's smooth and reliable and happy to idle along in traffic.
It has all the requisite things like huge aluminium radiator, oil cooler, all forged internals etc etc, and it can be like a wild animal to drive.
I can also adjust the boost from inside the cabin, and if I have it on full street boost, I can easily get it to break into wheelspin when I hit about 4,000 RPM in 2nd gear.
On full race boost, the car has to be on racing rubber, otherwise it's just wheelspin city.
I run the Falken RT615's on the street, as ordinary rubber doesn't last long and makes the car feel squirmy.
I've also got a Guru limited slip diff and fully adjustable Bilstein coil-overs, so it handles really well too.

While it's not set up for drag racing, it has run a 12.94 at the drag strip, so it's great fun to blow off hot V8's.
I get some very perplexed looks from some people when they try and run me at the lights, and my wife (God bless her) is always hassling me to get into the left lane at lights and drag people off.
Not the sort of thing you expect from someone in their mid fifties!!

But I guess tht's what an MX-5 does to you.
It brings out the kid in you, and this is why they are so much fun to drive.

By the way, I was vice-president of the NSW MX-5 Club for 2 years, then president for another 2 years, so I am a bit biased towards them.

kiwi
20-09-2011, 11:30am
As I said, I think they are great cars..........for hairdressers or others :)

KeeFy
20-09-2011, 11:31am

Car lover != Car enthusiast? I've got friends who loves cars but are not car enthusiasts as they don't do what real car enthusiasts do. Drive hard.

Pretty much most of my friends who are car enthusiasts do not have that mindset. These are guys who have owned cars with no less than 300HP and everyone has a lot of respect for the MX-5 as it is quite a hard car to keep up round the corners on the track or ghymkana. Maybe if you did more trackwork, it'll change your opnion. I don't have any stereotypes for vehicles other than falcons being taxis :P. Sure if you see someone driving an expensive car he/she is rich. That is to be expected and not stereotypical.

I see much more girls/ladies driving xr8s. Is it a girls car now? :P

Oh yes, quoting urban dictionary has as much credential as "my friend who's cousin's friend's boyfriend's brother said" I can add an entry in there "Track-phenomenal car- ie. MX-5, Lotus Exige S, Ariel Atom" and it'll stay in there. :)

kiwi
20-09-2011, 11:33am
Im not talking about your mindset, or mine, Im talking about a general stereotype that urban dictionary, jeremy clarkson, and the guy on the bus all probably have.

KeeFy
20-09-2011, 11:35am
my wife (God bless her) is always hassling me to get into the left lane at lights and drag people off.

My wife is completely different! She always asks me to slow down and let people through. Oh wells!

Pine
20-09-2011, 2:52pm
Going on a bit here is a nice review by Topgear on the Gay Butch Hairdresser's car
:p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8ArZ3o8qE

Pine

Bennymiata
20-09-2011, 3:35pm
I was stopped at a set fo lights once, when some young guys came to wait for the pedestrian lights on the corner.
They were checking out the car and one fo them shouted at me "Nice chicks car you have" while he and his friends were laughing at me.

I said "Yeah, it is. Do you know how many chicks I pick up in this car?" then I laid 2 nice black lines on the road with plenty of tyre smoke.

Mind you, one day my wife and I were driving in my Mercedes with the windows down when a young punk pedestrian gave me a dirty look and shouted out "Rich Prick!"
I looked at him and said "Well, it's a lot better than being a beligerant, no-hoper like you" and drove off.

I @ M
20-09-2011, 4:01pm
"Nice chicks car you have"

They must have been right Benny, this video sums it up. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eZNnVrVUAQ

Bennymiata
20-09-2011, 7:56pm
Where's the nice chicks?
VBH is far too masculine for me, an the other one seems a bit on the dumb side.
VBH didn't do the top up properly either, so she isn't a brain surgeon.

Mind you, she can't be that dumb, she likes the 5's.

Have a drive of one one day.
You can rent one fairly cheaply, and have a look at your face a half an hour after driving it.

You'll still be smiling. :)

Big Pix
20-09-2011, 8:27pm
....... MGB Roadster does it for me

Pine
21-09-2011, 3:45pm
I was stopped at a set fo lights once, when some young guys came to wait for the pedestrian lights on the corner.
They were checking out the car and one fo them shouted at me "Nice chicks car you have" while he and his friends were laughing at me.

I said "Yeah, it is. Do you know how many chicks I pick up in this car?" then I laid 2 nice black lines on the road with plenty of tyre smoke.

Mind you, one day my wife and I were driving in my Mercedes with the windows down when a young punk pedestrian gave me a dirty look and shouted out "Rich Prick!"
I looked at him and said "Well, it's a lot better than being a beligerant, no-hoper like you" and drove off.

Sticks and stones can hurt me but I still like the MX5.

Liked your comments. :lol:

Regards

Pine
21-09-2011, 11:23pm

Hi Keefy and Mongo
Maybe we taller guys are used to space in a car being a bit small.

Had another look at a 2006 MX5 and yes its a bit tight but I can live in it.

With the hood closed it is a bit small but not much worse tha a Boxster or SLK

I am once more convinced that I will love the car.

Don't I just look good in the MX5!

Regards

Pjay
22-09-2011, 8:30am
I've had three NB models, and one NC. Headroom was just adequate (188cm tall). The NB has a cam belt that needs replacement every 100k, the NC is chain driven and demands less maintenance. The power retractable hard top is horrible IMHO, reduces headroom, adds 37.5 kg of weight to a car where the engineers worked to shave 20g off the rear view mirror stem! We drove our NC for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Just stay clear of club politics!

ving
22-09-2011, 9:54am
Im not talking about your mindset, or mine, Im talking about a general stereotype that urban dictionary, jeremy clarkson, and the guy on the bus all probably have.look kiwi is just stating the facts.... stereotypes exist even if you try to deny them... the mx5 is a great car and whos to say the a hairdressers car cant be fun to drive, have a bit of power and handles corners well! these types of cars also scream another stereotype, MLC. :rolleyes:

at the end of the day we ignore these stereotypes and get on with what we enjoy.

Pine
22-09-2011, 11:59am
I've had three NB models, and one NC. Headroom was just adequate (188cm tall). The NB has a cam belt that needs replacement every 100k, the NC is chain driven and demands less maintenance. The power retractable hard top is horrible IMHO, reduces headroom, adds 37.5 kg of weight to a car where the engineers worked to shave 20g off the rear view mirror stem! We drove our NC for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Just stay clear of club politics!

Hi
Thats interesting at 1.905 we are about the same height.
The 2006 just had enough clearance between my head and the soft top so
it seems I should steer clear of the hard top.

What did you buy after the NC?

Politics are everywhere even in a church its human nature unfortunately.
Its really painful.:o

Regards