PDA

View Full Version : What's a good Carbon Fibre tripod?

Bennymiata
14-09-2011, 5:02pm
I currently have a Vanguard AT 263(?) tripod in aluminium, but I am looking for a carbon tripod with similar features, like a centre column that can be used horizontally, and will take the weight of my Canon 60D with the 100-400 lens as well as a flash unit.
The Vangaurd barely copes with this weight and I have to let the tripod settle for a few seconds before I can take the shot, otherwise it is still shaking.
I need the variable angle column as I do a lot of product and macro shots and this feature is very handy for me.

I was thinking about the Manfrotto 055CX3 Pro and was wondering if anyone out there is using one and what they thought of it using a big lens.

I'm not tied to Manfrotto, so any suggestions would be welcome.
I don't mind paying up to say $600 for it without a head, as long as it is light weight, strong, and will last for 10 years or so.

What do you guys suggest?

mongo
14-09-2011, 5:23pm
Benro make some very good gear at very good prices. Try looking at the "photoshop studio" website. It is in Parramatta Rd Leichhardt, Sydney.

KeeFy
14-09-2011, 5:37pm
Try looking at Sirui as well, which in my opinion makes a better product for the same price vs benro.

Can't go wrong with Manfrotto and if you can afford it the Gitzo.

At $600 i reckon you can go with a Gizto which will last you a LONG time.

rowdy23
14-09-2011, 6:38pm
x2 for benro ;)
travel angel carbon fibre

peterb666
14-09-2011, 7:53pm
At $600 i reckon you can go with a Gizto which will last you a LONG time.

Agree - unfortunately I cannot afford that sort of price.

Longshots
14-09-2011, 8:23pm
I just bought a Benro - while its not carbon fibre, its light for its size, and amazingly well priced.

Tommo1965
14-09-2011, 9:16pm
feisol.

http://www.feisol.com/english/purchasect.htm

ausguitarman
14-09-2011, 11:39pm
Benro make some very good gear at very good prices. Try looking at the "photoshop studio" website. It is in Parramatta Rd Leichhardt, Sydney.

Got a Benro CF Tripod and Monopod from these guys :th3:.

Cage
15-09-2011, 10:05am
I need the variable angle column as I do a lot of product and macro shots and this feature is very handy for me.

I was thinking about the Manfrotto 055CX3 Pro and was wondering if anyone out there is using one and what they thought of it using a big lens.

What do you guys suggest?

I have the 055CXPRO3 with a Markins Q10 and am very pleased with both.

My heaviest load is the K20D + T/C + DA* 300mm + Flash, all up a bit over 2.5Kg and no problems at all.

I almost always use either 2sec delay or a remote release.

dannat
17-09-2011, 9:02pm
I got an induro from US cheap, has done very well, silk is also good value

maccaroneski
18-09-2011, 11:02am
Another vote here for Benro from photoshop studio - it is reasonably local for me so got a chance to go into the store. Went in looking to buy a CF, but the guy in the store actually convinced me to go with the significantly cheaper aluminium model. The difference in weight wasn't worth $300 (to me).

swifty
18-09-2011, 3:38pm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/is_this_the_worlds_best_tripod.shtml
But at $1k its bloody expensive. No centre column too but if you read the article it explains why.

I have a Feisol something.. can't remember the model number but its a 3-section CF tripod. It works well enough for me but my current heaviest lens is only an 85mm f1.4 on a D700. Not exactly very heavy.

Papou
06-02-2012, 4:13pm
Just lashed out and payed out for te Benro C48T.Online mindyou as i also wanted the B1-PU60 ballhead..Anybody onboard own these two or either??..

Bennymiata
06-02-2012, 7:49pm
I ended up getting the Benro C2680T travel tripod.
While it has 4 leg sections, it is very strong and stable.
I've had it a month or so and have carted it around on foot, as well as using it at home with my 100-400 lens + conveter + grip, taking shots of the moon as well as places 6km away, and it is much better anmd stronger than I expected.
It came with a small ballhead, but I sold this on to someone as soon as I got it, and I have it married up to my Acratech GP ballhead, and it's a match made in heaven, as far as I'm concerned.
The whole shebang weighs in at under 2kg, and I can fold it up and put it under the flap of my camera bag, so I'm just carrying the bag and not having to cart the tripod seperately.

I had my heart set on getting a Gitzo, but I'm glad I saved the bucks and feel I've got something that will do me well for many years.
The Benro is beautifully made, and everything really feels like it's good quality, and the legs go up and down really easily.

The only gripe I have is that without the column being extended it is a little short for me, but all my tripod shooting is done using live view, and with the tiltable screen of my 60D, it's fantastic.