PDA

View Full Version : White Balance Preset Manual

Gunsoftheworld
12-09-2011, 1:35pm
I just got a new D5100 Nikon, and was wondering if I need to set the White Balance Preset manual by taking a photo? Or do I need to change anything else for the Preset Manual Setting or just use it as it is?

kiwi
12-09-2011, 1:40pm
Why use it ? What are you trying to do. The way to use it is to take a photo while preset is activated of a neutral subject. I use though a white balance lens cap

Gunsoftheworld
12-09-2011, 1:55pm
hmm so if I print out a page with white grey and black background and take a photo of that it should be fine?

CarlR
12-09-2011, 1:57pm
GOTW, as Kiwi asks, it depends what you are trying to do.
In many cases, auto WB does a pretty good job. If you shoot in RAW, WB can be set after the fact in PP.
Otherwise, a grey card or white balance lens cap is required.

Gunsoftheworld
12-09-2011, 2:04pm
I'm just trying to learn how to manual everything :P, only just got a new DSLR so wanted to get outa auto straight away:D, but auto does do a good job for most things.

kiwi
12-09-2011, 2:05pm
Your hand is as good as any

kiwi
12-09-2011, 3:05pm
I'm just trying to learn how to manual everything :P, only just got a new DSLR so wanted to get outa auto straight away:D, but auto does do a good job for most things.

I'd suggest not going manual, I'd suggest auto to start with while you get to grips with basic handling, and focus etc

Then move gradually to say av mode, lath one step at a time