PDA

View Full Version : How to expose?

Glenda
11-09-2011, 10:14pm
I have been trying to get a successful photo of my two dogs. I have a golden lab and a border collie/kelpie cross who is predominantly black. The lab comes out fine but the collie X is like a black blob. If I increase the exposure or add fill light the lab becomes over exposed and while I can then see the collie X face his coat becomes more a greyish black. Even when I photograph the collie on his own I'm never happy with the lack of detail on his face. Any tips someone can offer?

ricktas
11-09-2011, 10:30pm
Border Collies can be both black and white, exposing for this is possible. I suggest you post some of the photos in the pets forum ,ensuring you keep the EXIF data (shooting data) intact in the files and we can assist more when we see what exactly you are experiencing.

Glenda
11-09-2011, 10:52pm
How do I know if my exif data is on the photos I post? Guess it could be as I posted some flower photos and Mary Anne said my shutter speed was okay. Can I access posted photos exif data? I don't know how and as a beginnner I like to see that if I can.

ricktas
12-09-2011, 6:57am
EXIF is the data embedded in your photos that contains a lot of information. Thinks like camera used, time and date taken, lens used, ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, what metering mode and camera setting (manual or program), whether the flash fired and more.

I had a look at your photos in this thread and you are including EXIF (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?91446-snapshots), so just keep doing what you are now.

As to how to read it, you need an EXIF viewer Add-On for your browser. I use Firefox and have installed this add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxif/) then all I need to do is right-click a photo and click read EXIF, if EXIF is included by the photographer, I can then read the camera settings.

If you do not use Firefox, then google your browser name and EXIF add-on, to find some for your browser.

Whilst having this available to CC photos is not necessary from a composition/subject point of view, it can be invaluable in assisting other in how to improve their results when the settings are the cause of the concern.