PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing Alienbee

disruptfam
07-09-2011, 11:45pm
Hey guys,

I've been using Speedlights for a a lil wow now and the main thing i've realized is that speedlights just don't cut it in alot of situations... I just need more power!!! :D

So the next logical step for me would be Strobes.

I've been browsing the alienbee range And tossing up between a few options -

AB800
AB1600
EINSTEIN

Basically i will be starting with the one Strobe and building up from there as i need/afford to.

I currently own a couple Dual layer umbrellas and a 28" Softbox with a 50" Softbox and Beauty Dish next on my purchase list.

Firstly excuse my ignorance but what are they differences between the AB1600 and EINSTEIN besides the LCD screen? I read that the EINSTEIN has better color consistency.

I would like to the ability to shoot at midday with those above modifiers so i'm guessing i will need the more powerful options ruling out the AB800?

So would the EINSTEIN be worth the extra $200? The Paul C. Buff "Aus Site" has the AB1600 priced @ $500 and the EINSTEIN priced @ $700 I will be matching the strobe with a vagabond mini.

Am i missing anything here? Any tips of things i need to know from other Alien Bee Owners

JM Tran
08-09-2011, 1:37am
My suggestions

1. skip the AB800 - lacks the power and expansion for later on when you need more

2. I would go the AB1600 or the Einstein - the latter is great for high speed shots ala sports/action etc

3. the bigger the softbox the better the diffused light and better wrap-around light effect (less shadows etc) - but bigger softbox requires greater light source - hence I said to skip the AB800

4. I would invest in a large 150cm or 200cm Octabox instead of square/rectangular softboxes for better wrap around effect and more even light coverage. But it also depends on your own purposes for lighting. I have a 200cm Octabox coupled with 1000ws Bowens for commercial/editorial shoots, and switch to a smaller 120cm Octa for small/private shoots.

disruptfam
08-09-2011, 1:50am
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeap i was leaning towards the more powerful models.

Just reading about the Pro's/Con's of each Unit aka EINSTEIN VS AB1600

As far as i can tell the EINSTEIN is worth the extra $200 unless someone would like to add something I may be missing.

I tend to shoot on location a fair abit being able to shoot anytime during the day would be a big plus for me.

Also thanks for the tips on the Octobox, I haven't used one personally but will do some research :)

I've been reading about Beauty dishes and like the the type of light it puts out that would probably be the first modifier i would use with the strobe/s

cheers