PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 105mm f/2.8 ex DG vs tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF Di

JasonR
06-09-2011, 4:54pm
Hey guys,

Im just about to buy a macro lens for my D90 and have come across these two which are in my price range. Just wondering what every ones thoughts are on the two and which one may be better? I will be doing a lot of macro shooting of reptiles so any pros and cons of these lenses would be great or any others lenses around this price range.
I already own a sigma 150-500mm and am pleased with the results i have achieved with that lens.

Jas

old dog
06-09-2011, 5:04pm
hi Jas. I can only speak for the tamron 90. I love mine and it`s terrific value for money. But if I didn`t have it/lost it etc I think the sigma 150 would be top of the list. Hopefully others will comment. I think either way you would do ok.

monsters
08-09-2011, 3:50pm
Hi Jas,
I can only speak for the sigma 105mm
The reason I got it is because
1. Sigma has 2 years warranty over 1 year (Tamron)
2. It's longer than 90mm which is an advantage for me

The sigma 105mm is sharp and I really loving it.
I have read review that rated 90mm tamron slightly higher than the sigma 105mm.

It all really depends on what you want. I think you cant go wrong with either one. Just which one suits your budget, purpose and liking more.

I will try to post up a few photos...

monsters
08-09-2011, 3:51pm

monsters
08-09-2011, 3:54pm

Mary Anne
08-09-2011, 4:02pm
I have never heard of a bad Macro Lens yet they all seem to be good..
I have three Macro Lenses two totally different Canons and the Tamron 90mm which I use more than any lens I own..
So another one for the Tamron :th3:

zhulearntophoto
08-09-2011, 9:08pm
78255I have the Tamron one. Pros: sharp, light and good value for money; cons: struggling to focus in low light, noisy. Maybe it is better on D90 since the body has a built-in motor. I am using D3000 which does not have a body motor. 90mm will be a nice portrait lens when mounted on a FX body.

swifty
09-09-2011, 9:57am
Though I haven't used many macros and don't own one, I have to agree with Mary Anne from my limited experience that there's not really a bad dedicated macro lens (disregard the zoom lenses with a macro setting). There are better and best ones but not really a bad one that I know of.
What it comes down to are features (eg. AF motor/lack of, VR etc.), working distance and price.

monsters
09-09-2011, 10:45am
Hi Jason,
Maybe you could also consider what other lenses you have.

I got a 35mm and that's part of the reason why I got the 105mm instead of the 90mm.
I really love the 35mm and to my suprise it is capable (but not as good) of taking close/macro shots.
And I am thinking of getting a 85mm f1.8 down the line...

So it really depends on what you want, your working distance, price and you cant go wrong with either one.
I know you speficially mention about just these two but there are nikon's 60mm and 105mm micro as well (if not mistaken).
Have you consider them?

Too bad i am not in NSW. If not you can have a try of my lens

Good luck buddy. Both lenses you mentioned are value for money!

JasonR
09-09-2011, 5:18pm
Thanks for the input guys.

I have ended up getting the tamron 90mm after talking with a few people who use it quite often and i also got it for $331 which was cheaper than i could get the sigma so i had money left over to buy to sb700's.

arthurking83
09-09-2011, 7:59pm
Thanks for the input guys.

I have ended up getting the tamron 90mm after talking with a few people who use it quite often and i also got it for $331 which was cheaper than i could get the sigma so i had money left over to buy to sb700's.

I think, that in the end this is the best way to do it.
If there is any advantage in IQ of one over another lens, the differences are usually too small to really be given much consideration for overall image quality.
But what really makes a big difference is the periphery accessories that help you capture moments that you may not otherwise have captured!
I think getting the two speedlights will be the bonus in the way you went about it.

Your D90 does wireless flash triggering, and the SB700's(whilst not the most powerful of all the flashes available) are a doddle to set up for wireless flash. :th3:
Is yours the model with the old style rotary switch for AF/MF switching, or the newer built in motor and push pull clutch mechanism?

monsters
12-09-2011, 11:45pm
Good one Jas :)
Happy for you. Show us some of the photos ya!
Oh ya, I am also looking into a sb700, share with me some of your opinion/experience with it :)
Cheers!