PDA

View Full Version : Results of Perth Royal Show entries

Shelley
05-09-2011, 7:08pm
I entered the nature section of the Perth Royal Show Photography competition - first time entering something of this size. Bit puzzled about interpreting the results. Can someone who has done this before, enlighten me a little.

The nature level has a

Acceptance level of 12

legend says M = merit, A = Acceptance, 1,2,3 = Placing, Maximum Possible Score = 15

My results were:

Splendid Fairy Wren photo, I got 14 and A (guessing accepted for display)

Splendid beauty, I got 13 with a M, which is a merit (is this a merit for trying but not getting acceptance for display?)

Osprey photo, I got 13 and M, which is a merit (is this a merit for trying but not getting acceptance for display?)

My Sacred Kingfisher missed out..... got 11

It was a good experience for me, on reflection looking back, I felt I could have done better in my selecting of photos to enter - I struggle with that because, its not about what I like, but if the photo is good enough.

ricstew
05-09-2011, 7:25pm
I have no idea Shelley but good on you! I do hope someone can explain how it works??
cheers
Jan

Gemini2261
06-09-2011, 10:48pm
You did well with your Fairy Wren! Great, I bet there is stiff competition. I missed entering, have to watch out for that next year. Looks like you may get a sash or something?? :th3::th3:

Shelley
06-09-2011, 11:19pm
Thanks Gemini. It pushes me to do better and to learn stuff.

Gemini2261
07-09-2011, 12:06am
Thanks Gemini. It pushes me to do better and to learn stuff.

It sure does, and some of your bird pix are simply stunning so goes without saying you'll win:th3:

fillum
07-09-2011, 12:41am
Congratulations Shelley, looks like you did really well.

My (very minimal) understanding is that a Merit is basically "very good but not quite the winner", so would be better than an Acceptance. But this doesn't make sense if your two 13s got Merits but the 14 didn't, unless they were in different categories but that doesn't look likely based on subject matter. Might be worth reposting the question with a more descriptive thread title - there are a few members here with judging experience who should be able provide an answer.

Cheers.