PDA

View Full Version : Bean bag

fess67
03-09-2011, 11:47pm
Going on safari in October. Thinking I will need a bean bag to rest the lens on the window / side of the bus / landrover......if that makes sense. :)

Anyone had any experience of safaris or using a bean bag and can give me any advice?

Cheers

Wobbles
04-09-2011, 1:44am
Hi Fess,
a bean bag is a great option for stabilising a large telephoto lens in a vehicle. I used them extensively while in Africa last year. Being a relatively cheap bit of gear most safari operators will supply them, so check before buying, unless you intend to use back home as well. If you need to take your own (eg. for "self drive") I'd suggest a good quality one with a zipper so you can take it empty and buy beans/rice to fill it once you get to Africa. You also may want to have more than one as (depending on vehicle set up) they can be a bit low, so need to stack another on top (and/or keep on either side of vehicle for quick changes in position). If you are regularly shooting birds and/or mammals in trees (eg. leopards) they can be a bit akward, I found a monopod useful in these situations. I recommend a 4-section model as they fold up shorter and just the right height for propping off the seat next to you.

Cheers
John

fess67
04-09-2011, 1:25pm
Thanks John,

I will check with the safari operator.

Bennymiata
13-09-2011, 12:47pm
What I don't understand is, is why are beanbags so expensive?

Buy an old cushion or pillow frorm garage sale for $1, then fill it either with sand (if you want a heavy one) or with polystyrene beads.
Make sure you put the sand or beads in a sealed plastic bag before you put them into the cushion, otherwise it may start leaking out.

Actually, you don't even need to buy a cushion at all, just put the sand or the beads into 2 plastic bags and use it raw.