PDA

View Full Version : DIgital cameras for kids? Any advice?

shelly1170
01-09-2011, 9:21am
We have decided to buy our two daughters digital cameras for Christmas. They have loved their little toy pretend cameras so much that the batteries have gone!

By Christmas, Penny will be nearly 5 and Abi will be 3 1/2.

I'm thinking of getting the Fisher Price camera or the Vtech. I know it's a long shot, but do any of you good people have any feedback on these? Or any other alternatives?

Main criteria is that they have to be super easy to use and be tough (think dropping on tiles and concrete with monotonous regularity!).

Debra Faulkner
01-09-2011, 10:00am
Seems like you're on the right track with either of those cameras. I haven't had personal experience with supervising toddlers with cameras but I have heard that the Fisher-Price one is good value. Since you have to buy two, why not get one of each :D ?

shelly1170
01-09-2011, 11:17am
Google is my best friend and worst enemy! I have found a Vtech that is 2MP as opposed to others which are up to 1.3MP via interpolation. Only problem is it's not in Australia! Just as well the dollar is so strong, off to order from the UK! Now I just have to time it so it arrives in Australia while I am there. :eek:

yummymummy
01-09-2011, 1:14pm
the vtech ones are AWESOME!!!!! I have friends with two little girls, one has fisher price, one has vtech, two years on, the vtech is the only one still going.. it's been dropped, kicked across the floor etc, just amazing!

shelly1170
01-09-2011, 1:35pm
Thanks yummymummy! My girls are taking after their mummy...mini paparazzi!

MiniFighter
01-09-2011, 1:40pm
I have 7yo twins (boy and girl) and we were looking at the same. Last year we ended up buying a Fujifilm 12mp from Big-w. They were on special for $79.

4G SD card was $9.95 and $7.95 for a soft case. So just under $100 each. He got Black, miss got Pink.

In auto mode they cant go wrong with them and theres very rarely any out of focus shots, quite a few very VERY random shots, but all in focus lol. We were on hand the first few times while they were using them to make sure they were careful with them and also to teach them the very basics etc. Once they learnt how to auto focus they were off.

Over 12months has passed and the cameras are still going great and the kids still love them like the day they got them. Not sure if the same would suit your kids, maybe the eldest? but just wanted to share my experience :) Hope it helps

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/fu/fuji-finepix-a235-pink.jpg

Wayne.

ktoopi
01-09-2011, 1:41pm
I don't know if this is going to help or hinder but I bought my daughter one of those tough kiddie cameras when she was three and it was a piece of rubbish. Sure it was easy to use and drop proof but the picture quality was so poor that it wasn't worth it. Also the shutter took forever to go off and she constantly missed shots and became frustrated and said that the camera didn't work and Mummy should take it back!! "Santa" bought her a real digital camera the Christmas that she had just turned 5 (two years ago) and she loves it and hasn't looked back. The quality of those kiddie cameras may have improved in the last few years but I wouldn't waste my money. i reccommend a cheap waterproof real camera. I (sorry Santa!) got my daughter one for about $100 which at the time was not much more than the kiddie ones anyway. Hope this was useful:)

shelly1170
01-09-2011, 5:08pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard about the shutter lag in the kiddie ones. My only concern is that they just won't be able to figure it out if there are too many buttons. Mind you, the 3 year old has figured out her iPod (loaded up with movies) already!

shelly1170
01-09-2011, 5:10pm
How about something like this? Could it really be THAT bad for the price???

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/otek-9mp-waterproof-digital-camera/

shelly1170
02-09-2011, 5:53am
OK...Hubby has had the final say. He just wants to get them waterproof/shockproof cameras. Since it will be the only Christmas present they get, the price is OK. They also have the added bonus of having lithium ion batteries rather than standard AAA.

Now off to google to fine the cheapest Nikon/Canon/Pana/Ricoh etc....

campdog
02-09-2011, 10:26am
No matter how old they are when you get kids a camera I think that it should be one of decent quality. There are some great little cameras around without having to go to noname brand or toyworld. Kodak make some great litle cameras as well. Im getting my grandson a camera for Chrismtmas and something decent with a rechargeable battery as well. If he is going to take photos they might as well be good ones.First impessions count with kids as well.Otherwise he will keep wanting my SLR.
You could always make some camera armour for it.:)
John