PDA

View Full Version : Flash Experts...? Difference between Flash Sync Speed and Flash Shutter Speed?

darrenmars
31-08-2011, 6:06pm
I'll be experimenting more soon (tonight hopefully) to try to fully understand, but does anyone know what the Flash Shutter Speed setting does and how it relates to Flash Sync Speed? Not sure about other bodies but in the D700 the flash shutter speed option is under e2 and the options range from 1/60 to 30s.

Also, it's been bugging me a little but what is FP short for in "Auto FP" (under flash sync speed, e1)?

Tjfrnds
31-08-2011, 6:28pm
Flash sync speed is the highest shutter speed useable with flash, whereas the shutter speed option allows you to chose the slowest shutter speed when using flash.
I believe FP is short for focal plane.

I @ M
31-08-2011, 6:30pm
Darren,
menu item e2 on the D700 is the slowest shutter speed at which the flash will fire.
the auto FP settings 1/250 auto FP and 1/320 auto FP are there to allow the range of Nikon speedlights to define the lower speed range at which the speedlights will fire in pulsating bursts as opposed to one single "flash". You will see in your menu that 1/250 (without auto FP after it) is there as well and that is the setting for the maximum shutter speed that the speedlight will fire in a single "flash".

darrenmars
31-08-2011, 6:48pm
Ahhh... that's why I couldn't get my speedlight to pop last night then... It was rather frustrating - Change batteries, check my settings, check new batteries, try off-camera, change remote batteries...AGGH!! Anyway... Thanks, that was very helpful!

Hmm... I don't think FP = Focal Plane in this context. Probably "Flash Pulse". Regardless, the name isn't exactly self explanatory :scrtch:

Spidy
01-09-2011, 3:01pm
Darren, FP does in fact stand for Focal Plane.

Have a look at the below link for an explanation:

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-explained.html

Regards,

Spidy.

darrenmars
03-09-2011, 11:03am
Excellent explanation! I've bookmarked that blog... that guy seems to know his stuff very well