PDA

View Full Version : Birders and snakes in Perth

Shelley
31-08-2011, 1:38pm
Just a word of warning to birders and others who venture into our bush, especially off track. We have had a lot of rain in Perth, and the bush is very thick with grass, particularly around our swamp areas.

I have already seen snakes on the move. Seen a huge tiger snake laying in the water, I didn't hang around to get his picture as he was very close as I walked past.

I think this season is going to be pretty bad with snakes.

So fellow APers in Perth, please be mindful and aware where walking, I am trying to be already as it has spooked me a little, with seeing them so soon. Also, off course birders around australia as well. :)

Michaela
31-08-2011, 3:16pm
Thanks for the heads-up, Shelley. I have always been pretty snake-aware, having grown up in the Pilbara, but they probably will be around more this Spring and Summer as there will also be an abundance of prey available for them.

Unfortunately, I knew a man who was bitten last Summer while sitting at his computer at home and, apparently, because he called a friend for help rather than an ambulance the extra delay caused the bite to be fatal. :(