PDA

View Full Version : Bowens gemini 500r

donnnnnny
29-08-2011, 6:30pm
I have recently bought a 3 strobe Bowens 500r lighting kit for my studio.Purchased from B+H in new york, I have been sent the usa type which at 110v 13amp, when i switch them on i get E1 on the LED panel, which according to the manual is voltage out of range.no charge.
I have spoken to B+H who are happy for me s to send them all back and replace them.
They want me to pay for the freight both ways which when i purchased them was $460.
IS there any reason why the lights wont work with a transformer?? B+H said they will burn out.
MY dilema is i feel B+H should pay the freight both ways, they say they wont.
cheers donnnnnny

ricktas
29-08-2011, 6:56pm
B&H would send you what you ordered. It is fairly obvious to all these days that different countries use different outlets at different voltages. I think expecting B&H to pay for shipping both ways on this is a bit rough. Maybe talk to a local electrical fitting store about options would be the way to go.

JM Tran
29-08-2011, 7:07pm
I havent used the new 500R yet as I used to own a 500 classic monolight

However, with my latest 1000 Pro Bowens, it has the multi voltage system thingy to be used anywhere around the world by plugging in the local power cable and shoot from there without any adapters, Im not sure if the 500R has that capability or not.

Just curious as to why you did not buy it locally? My 1000 Pro worked out to be only 50 bucks more buying it in Aus than B&H or Adorama when you factor in the shipping costs - and significantly less hassles than what you are facing now, as the shipping fee $460-500 is the norm for a monolight kit from the US.

peterb666
29-08-2011, 7:19pm
The problem with a transformer is that it won't change the supply from the Australian 50 Hz to the US 60 Hz so although you can change the voltage you also need to change the frequency.

Re the voltage of units, it isn't that unusual for some US equipment to have a power supply that is suitable only for the US while other markets get a multi-voltage, multi-frequency power supply bu it does seem a little rough. An electrical repairer or the local Bowen's agent may be able to convert the units to be able to work in Australia.

donnnnnny
29-08-2011, 8:51pm
Thanks, the 500 r dont have that option. As for buying local i was $1300 cheaper after shipping and GST.

I havent used the new 500R yet as I used to own a 500 classic monolight

However, with my latest 1000 Pro Bowens, it has the multi voltage system thingy to be used anywhere around the world by plugging in the local power cable and shoot from there without any adapters, Im not sure if the 500R has that capability or not.

Just curious as to why you did not buy it locally? My 1000 Pro worked out to be only 50 bucks more buying it in Aus than B&H or Adorama when you factor in the shipping costs - and significantly less hassles than what you are facing now, as the shipping fee $460-500 is the norm for a monolight kit from the US.

donnnnnny
29-08-2011, 8:52pm
YTa i might try and see if i can do that then
thanks for the help
The problem with a transformer is that it won't change the supply from the Australian 50 Hz to the US 60 Hz so although you can change the voltage you also need to change the frequency.

Re the voltage of units, it isn't that unusual for some US equipment to have a power supply that is suitable only for the US while other markets get a multi-voltage, multi-frequency power supply bu it does seem a little rough. An electrical repairer or the local Bowen's agent may be able to convert the units to be able to work in Australia.

donnnnnny
29-08-2011, 8:55pm
Well to me i would have thought B+H would have sent me something that will work in australia. anyway thats not really an issue now its a fact. they wont work here.
Ill keep plugging them and hopefully they will just take the 3 lights back and exchange them which will cut the freight down by a big margine.
My preference would be to get them to work jhere, so ill also ask a few sparkys i know and maybe bowans repairers in aus
B&H would send you what you ordered. It is fairly obvious to all these days that different countries use different outlets at different voltages. I think expecting B&H to pay for shipping both ways on this is a bit rough. Maybe talk to a local electrical fitting store about options would be the way to go.

MarkChap
29-08-2011, 10:23pm
As far as B&H paying return freight both ways, to me that is going to depend greatly upon whether you ordered the 110v units or the 240 volt units.
You haven't told us which you ordered
If you ordered the 240 volt units and they sent the wrong ones, then yes they should pay the freight.
If you ordered the 110 volt units or did not stipulate which you wanted, then very sorry, you are out of pocket for the return freight.

donnnnnny
30-08-2011, 12:01pm
ya i guess i should i ordered a lighting kit as an australian buyer.
The thread seems to be getting of course,
im not really interested in who should pay the freight , what i am interested in is wether i can get the lights working here with a transformer or maybe have something done to get them to work on aus 240 v 10 amp.There must be a component from the factory which would make this work?!!!!! i have contacted Bowens in australia and will; wait to see what they say
As far as B&H paying return freight both ways, to me that is going to depend greatly upon whether you ordered the 110v units or the 240 volt units..
someone mentioned above that its obvious that different countries have different voltage etc, I am aware of that, but how about when you go overseas and get a plug converter so you can charge batteries, to me i would have thought i could do the same with a Transformer,??? seems not
cheers don
You haven't told us which you ordered
If you ordered the 240 volt units and they sent the wrong ones, then yes they should pay the freight.
If you ordered the 110 volt units or did not stipulate which you wanted, then very sorry, you are out of pocket for the return freight.

donnnnnny
30-08-2011, 12:16pm

Re the voltage of units, it isn't that unusual for some US equipment to have a power supply that is suitable only for the US while other markets get a multi-voltage, multi-frequency power supply bu it does seem a little rough. An electrical repairer or the local Bowen's agent may be able to convert the units to be able to work in Australia.Peter checked this and the units work on 50 and 60 HZ, i have also talked to a friend whos an electrician ,who said they will work on a transformer 500 wats X3 =1500wats which will work on 10 amps..
thanks for pointing this out to me re the HZ

I @ M
30-08-2011, 12:23pm
They want me to pay for the freight both ways which when i purchased them was $460.

The thread seems to be getting of course,
im not really interested in who should pay the freight ,

Sorry, I can't agree about it getting off course donnnnnny, in your first post you state that your dilemma is in your feelings that B&H should pay the freight both ways and Mark's reply about that is pretty valid I reckon.

peterb666
30-08-2011, 1:22pm
So is the issue you just plugged them into 240v w/o a step-down transformer. BTW, I would suggest you get a higher rated transformer than the absolute minimum rating to provide a little overhead.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MarkChap
30-08-2011, 6:10pm
I have recently bought a 3 strobe Bowens 500r lighting kit for my studio.Purchased from B+H in new york, I have been sent the usa type which at 110v 13amp, when i switch them on i get E1 on the LED panel, which according to the manual is voltage out of range.no charge.
I have spoken to B+H who are happy for me s to send them all back and replace them.
IS there any reason why the lights wont work with a transformer?? B+H said they will burn out.
cheers donnnnnny

How can it be off topic

donnnnnny
31-08-2011, 8:30pm
Ya peter it looks like the good people at farrel transformers have helped me out of the dilema, i can get a twin plug transformer with a good and higher rating than needed for $270 and they will fit a 3rd socket for my lights.
Im hoping to finalize this soon. thanks for your usfull input :)

So is the issue you just plugged them into 240v w/o a step-down transformer. BTW, I would suggest you get a higher rated transformer than the absolute minimum rating to provide a little overhead.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

peterb666
01-09-2011, 12:12pm
Not so bad and the transformer will be useful if you acquire any other US gear.