PDA

View Full Version : School needs Advice/Help

danny
28-08-2011, 8:36pm
Over the past couple of years I have been bringing my camera to school ( I am a teacher ) and using it to get some photos for the school. I must say that it has been a great place to practise taking shots as there is always something going on and usually in a range of different lightings. The school community (The boss in particular) have been really happy to have some "good" photos of the kids. Before I started photos were taken on cheap P&Ss.

Now the Boss has thought that the school should invest in their own camera. So... What are the suggestions? I suppose the criteria would be in order;

1. Cost effectiveness (it is a public school after all)
2. Needs to be able to take photos in a range of light, low light photos are a must.
3. Relatively easy to use. Myself and a few others have DSLR experience but some do not.

Basically I would love it if the school bought a D3S with a range of lenses.. but that is not really practical and P&S just don't cut it for the needs of the school.

Cheers
Danny

kiwi
28-08-2011, 8:43pm
D7000 and 18-200

enduro
28-08-2011, 9:05pm
Might be a good idea to invest in their own camera, however it might be a better idea that they to invest in your up skilling and some good lighting (considering the idea is for annual portraits).

A good tool is necessary to do a good job but one needs the skill use it.

danny
28-08-2011, 9:52pm
Might be a good idea to invest in their own camera, however it might be a better idea that they to invest in your up skilling and some good lighting (considering the idea is for annual portraits).

A good tool is necessary to do a good job but one needs the skill use it.

Sorry should have been clearer. Photos are used for newsletters, displays around school and community events, webpage and general PR. NOT annual portraits.

Cheers
Danny

ricstew
28-08-2011, 10:03pm
Kr and 18-250

jasevk
28-08-2011, 11:05pm
D7000 and 18-200

This kit would suit that need perfectly

fabian628
28-08-2011, 11:06pm
Over the past couple of years I have been bringing my camera to school ( I am a teacher ) and using it to get some photos for the school. I must say that it has been a great place to practise taking shots as there is always something going on and usually in a range of different lightings. The school community (The boss in particular) have been really happy to have some "good" photos of the kids. Before I started photos were taken on cheap P&Ss.

Now the Boss has thought that the school should invest in their own camera. So... What are the suggestions? I suppose the criteria would be in order;

1. Cost effectiveness (it is a public school after all)
2. Needs to be able to take photos in a range of light, low light photos are a must.
3. Relatively easy to use. Myself and a few others have DSLR experience but some do not.Basically I would love it if the school bought a D3S with a range of lenses.. but that is not really practical and P&S just don't cut it for the needs of the school.

Cheers
Danny

In my opinion, do not weight this heavily becuase all DSLR's are going to be confusing for a p&s shooter. I think the only thing probably make sure it has a green square mode of some kind. I don't think a entry level dslr is easier to use than a prosumer model camera, it will only limit the people who actually know how to take photos (you) from doing a good job eg. if fast frames / sec or faster AF are required for sports days.

ricstew
29-08-2011, 6:25am
Kr.......not too big not too small, has all the auto/scene modes, weatherproof ( with the correct lens ), great low light performance, inexpensive, easily found older lenses still fit ( did they look in the cupboard lots of schools used Pentax ).........

CAP
29-08-2011, 6:57am
Sony NEX-5 or NEX-7 with a couple lenses??????
Something of an in between and takes rather decent pics.

arthurking83
29-08-2011, 7:15am
As always the most important element here is price range.

D7000 + 18-200 kit lens is pretty useless if the max price is something like $1000-1500!(unless you're looking at secondhand gear).

Bennymiata
29-08-2011, 11:23am
Fuji HS-20.
Not an SLR, but does everyhing well and isn't intimidating to use.

I worry about SLR's when used by various people, as lenses go astray eventually.
This superzoom takes good photos and HD videos and when left on full auto, the pictures are great, but it has all the manual adjustments you'll ever need.

I know we all love our SLR's, but think of how it will be used, and by how many different people.
Having it all in one would be the most practical IMHO.

danny
29-08-2011, 7:32pm
This is great! Just what I was looking for.

The Nikon D7000 was certainly on my short list. It was great to hear someone recommend the Sony Nex range as I too was wondering about this camera however I know little about it, Cap have you used one? Ricstew the KR is something that, to be honest, I have not considered but I am now doing some research as it certainly does tick a few boxes. I knew that older lenses still fitted on the KR but do they have auto focus?

Thanks for the advice... keep it coming ;)

Cheers
Danny

ricstew
30-08-2011, 5:29pm
only if they had auto focus in the first instance Danny! But like most camera brands there are heaps of off brand A/F lenses within a sensible price range
cheers
Jan

bricat
01-09-2011, 7:01am
I would look at the idea of having a photography class with the purchase of a camera if this is possible. Not everyone wants to play aussie rules(why not) so it does give the more interlectual students another choice. And what a fantastic way for you to learn on the job. Also involve the students in the camera selection as this will gauge interest in a possible class. And sometimes it could be held after school hours for say 30 minutes. Nice of me to give away your time isn't it....cheers

JM Tran
10-09-2011, 3:31am
I would recommend the Pentax DSLRs, as it is easily backwards compatible with the K mount lenses and the students can learn about manual focusing and metering with cheap and decent 2nd hand lenses in a variety of focal lengths without breaking the budget.

You can also get a Pentax K1000 camera, and shoot it side by side with a Pentax DSLR using the same glasses, for the kids to understand the differences and relationship between film and digital.

I always thought it is always important to practice with the current technology, and learn about the past as well.

TOM
10-09-2011, 8:45am
Olympus EP-3; it looks like a compact camera, but has a heap of flexibility and quality, and can be used in "p&s" modes (A,S,P).