PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Strret photography questions.

GrahamS
27-08-2011, 4:45pm
Hey all.
Recently I've had an interest in taking some candid/street shots. I saw a video on Youtube the other day , done in America somewhere, where the photographer was just walking up to "interseting" people and asking if he could take a very candid, up close photo, I say up close as he was using a 50mm lens on a FF camera. Now what surprised me is that most of the people he asked were cool with the idea! I have no idea if the video was heavily edited or not but my question is.... would this technique work in Australia?
The Americans are somewhat extrovert in my opinion (not trying to generalise) but do you think Aussies would take the same attitude to having an intimate, very personal photo taken by a complete stranger, I have my doubts.
I would love to get the opinions or thoughts from others who are successful in their own street photography as to whether they use this technique or go for the more candid/discreet shot.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers.

ameerat42
27-08-2011, 6:00pm
A hard hat, a force field set to maximum, thick skin, and ear-plugs to protect the sensitivities from the resulting invectives, and... I don't see why not.
:D

JM Tran
27-08-2011, 6:17pm
I do it all the time around the world for my travel photography as well as photo-journalism purposes. Its not hard you just need to have an approachable personality and confidence, lots of confidence. Not to mention you have to understand the customs and traditions and norms of where you are at and the population etc.

I dont believe in standing far away with a telephoto and snapping unsuspecting people, you cant capture the emotions and feel as great as you would, using a 50mm or 35mm is my preferred choice - sometimes even wider, for better impact and visual story telling.

TOM
28-08-2011, 10:03am
It depends on what type of image you are wanting. Standing back, observing, and waiting for the decisive moment will achieve a completely different result to the technique you are primarily enquiring about. Street photography is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, genres in photography to begin to master. Arguably best photographer of all time, Cartier-Bresson, certainly favoured the more discreet 'fly on the wall' approach, which IMHO yields the most honest results. But I think you are talking more about candid portraiture rather than street photography.

agb
28-08-2011, 10:41am
I think I have seen some threads about scotty doing something like this.

Erin
28-08-2011, 3:20pm
They sure do work in Australia. A friend of mine accosts people every time she has her camera out in hand. She loves faces. It's all about attitude and your own behaviour. If you don't behave like a creepy freak and explain the whys and wherefores, then most of the time people will have no problems with getting their picture taken. But I agree with the other comment that this is more random portraiture than street photography.

GrahamS
29-08-2011, 9:50am
Thanks to all the replies, I would like to try both types of Street Photography, candid and random portraiture. I'll try both and see which i like the best.
Thanks again all.

virgal_tracy
31-08-2011, 9:27am
I dont believe in standing far away with a telephoto and snapping unsuspecting people, you cant capture the emotions and feel as great as you would, using a 50mm or 35mm is my preferred choice - sometimes even wider, for better impact and visual story telling.

In this I have to disagree with Jackie. I believe that you get much more honest actions and emotions crossing the face of the subject if they are unaware of their picture being taken. Have you ever asked a subject to "act natural". They do anything but as they are conscious of the camera.

Street portraiture is different as you are finding interesting people (vendors, street performers, characters) and trying to show their essence. For this I do agree with Jackie and find the 50mm or 35mm or whichever lens you choose to be more suitable.

Be prepared for knockbacks if you are asking first. Some will be open to the idea whereas others won't be. Accept their decision with good grace, thank them and move on.

Good luck

JM Tran
31-08-2011, 10:30am
In this I have to disagree with Jackie. I believe that you get much more honest actions and emotions crossing the face of the subject if they are unaware of their picture being taken. Have you ever asked a subject to "act natural". They do anything but as they are conscious of the camera.

Street portraiture is different as you are finding interesting people (vendors, street performers, characters) and trying to show their essence. For this I do agree with Jackie and find the 50mm or 35mm or whichever lens you choose to be more suitable.

Be prepared for knockbacks if you are asking first. Some will be open to the idea whereas others won't be. Accept their decision with good grace, thank them and move on.

Good luck

that may be so, but the ability to capture them naturally or unawares, and up close in their own environment is an art in itself - something I have experience with around the world for private photos or for work. I dont really ask people for photos up close most of the time, I just shoot them as they go about their business or while they are talking to me or others.

shots at 200mm away, with the subject sideways or walking or whatever, doesnt do it for me anymore - that shows no real ability to connect with them emotionally for greater impact. I find that most street shooters start out from far away, the more experienced and confident shooters will inevitably get closer and closer - its just a natural progression of skills and experience.

everyone has their own styles, I shoot from far away sometimes too, but I prefer to be up close and personal - which doesnt mean I have the camera up at my face pointing at them, it could be just in my hands around my waist etc. Street/Travel photography is all about being there at the right time and place and capturing that right moment.

camerasnoop
31-08-2011, 10:51am
As the Indian man said, "Oh excuse me sir. Can you be telling me the time, or shall I just #$%^ off?" Good luck with that. :lol: