PDA

View Full Version : September 2011 : BEST CRITIQUE OF THE MONTH : is on again

ricktas
26-08-2011, 8:55am
Time to improve your critiquing skills!

September 2011 will be : BEST CRITIQUE MONTH :

The moderators and I will judge all the critiques done on MEMBERS PHOTOS for the month of September and a Prize will be given to the AP member who we deem has posted the best critique on another members photo during the month.

* The critique must be posted during September to be eligible.
* The critique must be a critique of another AP member's photo (in the Members Photos Forums only).

As the mods and I may not see every post, we will be asking you (the members) to help us out, by reporting any posts
you feel warrant our attention and possible inclusion as a "best critique" during the month.

There will be a prize on offer to the winner of BEST CRITIQUE OF THE MONTH. The prize will come from AP funds,
available thanks to members supporting the site advertisers (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13499-Ausphotography-Site-Advertisers). More details on the prize later.

So why not start now, improve your critiquing, get some practice in, and then in September we hope to see a
lot of great constructive critiques happening on the site.

CapnBloodbeard
26-08-2011, 1:02pm
Great idea ricktas. I see a lot of comments complimenting an image, but relatively few actually taking the time to point out where an image can be improved (and I'm guilty of doing the same at times too).
Perhaps we should all make more of an effort to point out WHY we like a particular shot, as well as finding room for improvement in some of the sets posted here.
Often there's images posted by somebody who's just beginning to learn their craft, and the responses are just your standard 'nice shot, well done' - while it's nice to receive compliments, these sorts of responses don't help anybody improve their craft.

ricktas
26-08-2011, 1:36pm
Great idea ricktas. I see a lot of comments complimenting an image, but relatively few actually taking the time to point out where an image can be improved (and I'm guilty of doing the same at times too).
Perhaps we should all make more of an effort to point out WHY we like a particular shot, as well as finding room for improvement in some of the sets posted here.
Often there's images posted by somebody who's just beginning to learn their craft, and the responses are just your standard 'nice shot, well done' - while it's nice to receive compliments, these sorts of responses don't help anybody improve their craft.

We did it back in May, and the idea of a Best Critique worked then to improve the quality of constructive critique on the site, so as well as the upcoming September one, it will be something we do reasonably regularly on the site now.

Chinook
04-09-2011, 11:30pm
I really think it is a great idea. I am often afraid to be too actually put down what I feel because I am not even moderately any good myself. I hope by reading some of the critiques it will help me when I post comments.
I know what I do like to see in a photography but I have yet to grasp everything myself.

Looking forward to it.:)

andrewwebster
20-09-2011, 10:08pm
sounds like a great idea. i know what i like but also know i am only starting learn what is good and what needs to be improved.

Brian500au
21-09-2011, 7:45pm
Hey Mods,

What is the procedure to nominate a person for best critique?

ricktas
21-09-2011, 7:50pm
Hey Mods,

What is the procedure to nominate a person for best critique?

find their critique post and report it, using the report icon (its the small triangle with the ! mark in it)

Adrian45
24-09-2011, 3:18pm
Sounds like a great idea.

kyteflyer
26-09-2011, 7:45am
Its an excellent idea, and will also give those of us who are perhaps not as adept as others at crits, to be able to see how its done. I'm always worried that a) I'll upset someone, and b) I'm too inexperienced at crits. Who the heck am I to be making critical remarks about anyone's phtography when mine is only fair to mediocre. Likewise, when I like something, its often difficult for me to specify what it is that I like about it. Oh well, this will be great for learning.

ricktas
02-10-2011, 9:22am
The moderators and I are now discussing all the contenders. If you see a critique that was posted during SEPTEMBER, you still have a chance to report the post, TODAY ONLY. Remember it must have been posted during September.

We will be looking and 'critiquing the critiques' (as it could be called), and expect the winner to be announced tomorrow evening (Monday 3rd October).

Thanks to everyone who took it on board, and worked at increasing the standard of critiquing on the site. Please keep it up, if we can have good quality, informative, educational critiquing, all the time on AP, it makes the site so much more beneficial for all members.

There were some amazing efforts during September, and the mods and I are going to probably have a hard time selecting just one.