PDA

View Full Version : a conscious vote

ricstew
23-08-2011, 7:05pm
would you vote with your feet or not.........if you knew a judge was qualified by facebook? Even if its only at local level :)
:lol:
Jan

kiwi
23-08-2011, 7:11pm
I dont undertand

ricktas
23-08-2011, 7:12pm
I don't either...

ricstew
23-08-2011, 7:15pm
If you were going to enter a competition ........and you found out via the grapevine.......that the only qualification the only judge has was from being liked on FB...... would you bother entering :) Bearing in mind they are supposed to be secret judges :)

ricktas
23-08-2011, 7:17pm
depends on what sort of competititon, there are heaps of them on FB, so it makes sense that the judges might come from FB. I think we need more information. After all making an informed decision to vote with your feet, needs us to be informed to start with.

ricstew
23-08-2011, 7:18pm
a photographic competition.......not on facebook but open to the public

kiwi
23-08-2011, 7:19pm
we've had comps here judged by other members too, I dont see a difference

Mark L
23-08-2011, 7:25pm
Someone's got to judge. Possibly depends on what sort of public comp. it is. Why do you think this person wouldn't make a good judge?

ricstew
23-08-2011, 7:28pm
I get that Kiwi......and I am not sure I actually have an issue but a few others do. It turns out the person judging " at local level " has no " formal" qualifications and some are judging that with their feet?? :crike:

ricktas
23-08-2011, 7:29pm
Judging : making a judgement!

Anyone can do that, we all have the ability to judge, choose, select, decide. A beginner photographers vote is worth the same as an advanced one on AP. I have no issue with anyone being selected a judge as long as they show no biaise towards friends etc, in making their judgement.

ricstew
23-08-2011, 7:34pm
I think I am cranky cause some just need to find fault where none is really due.........and ruin things for lots of other people.......
Finding a judge for anything is dang near impossible ........so few want to get involved

kiwi
23-08-2011, 7:35pm
i guess its how they are presented, ie "an expert judge" etc

Pentax Pete
23-08-2011, 8:14pm
From reading previous threads you have posted on the forum I think I know what your on about, there is going to be an event in your area that also involves a photographic comp ????
I personaly enter similar comps and have done so for the past 4 years since moving to the South Coast 5 years ago, with 7 of these events in our local areas on the South Coast and into the Southern Highlands each year.
I have never known who the judges are for these photographic comps, Just have to take what comes along, as judgeing is done prior to the actual event behind closed doors no person gets to see or meet the judge, as to their accredidation I would have no idea.
During this period I have won over 120 awards with 11 championships and 5 grand championships so have no reason to query who the judges are.
If there are others in your area who are concerned then let it be their problem and go ahead with your entries and accept what happens.
Best of luck and look forward to hearing about your results in the near future.

Pentax Pete (Geoff)

jasevk
23-08-2011, 10:18pm
Why would holding a qualification make any difference? A couple of my favorite photographers who I draw inspiration from (one being a regular on this forum) are completely self taught, and they're critiques as valuable as any 'qualified' photographer

ricstew
24-08-2011, 6:56am
I think Geoff has the idea jasevk.............small town hooha. I never realised how much politics gets involved in the most mundane things. I am sitting here ready with the sticky tape and black cardboard, fielding phone calls............"How can so and so be the judge???blah blah blah...........I wasn't sure it made diddly squat difference.....didnt know if they were supposed to be qualified in some way?? So the best thing I could come up with was to ask here!

ricktas
24-08-2011, 7:18am
If judging is supposed to be anonymous, the role of this particular judge is not compromised. I think the best thing you can do is advise the organisers and ask them to look at replacing this judge with another person (hopefully who can remain anonymous).

This would be the only fair thing to do, to meet the anonymity condition. Though knowing what small towns can be like, one has to wonder if getting this judge out of his/her role, was not the reason for the breach or anonymity in the first place. "we don't want them as a judge, lets tell everyone and see if we cannot get rid of them".

It is a shame, but the organisers could use them again next year/next time, and keep it anonymous and then the whingers will not have any idea.

Kym
24-08-2011, 9:56am
Here in SA the camera club judges via the SAPF (http://sapf.org.au/) (part of the APS)are qualified is as much as they have a done a training day and recognised as being reasonable 'togs.

There is no formal (Govt recognised) qualification.

I disagree with frac13 to frac12 the scores given on a club night.
I.e. Monday night my best image (my view) did not score as well as I thought and another of mine won the open large print category :confused013

But... Judging is subjective, so that is not disparaging the judges, just a different view.

ricstew
24-08-2011, 7:27pm
Quite frankly its a pain in the proverbial..........and now that you have said it Rick I wouldn't discount a bit of hocus pocus.....replacing judges at the last minute is fraught with difficulty.......we would never get any at all if we try to change things at the last minute. I wish the community would remember that all of this stuff is donated..freebies.....from the goodness of various little hearts. No one gets paid lol. and I further bet not one of these whinging people will be there on a cold thursday night helping.

Mark L
24-08-2011, 8:04pm
I'm only a couple of hours drive away, so I can be a last minute replacement judge. :D:D
Qualifications. Member of AP, when pressed I can have an opinion, I also live in a small town and no one there knows me. :D

ricstew
24-08-2011, 9:12pm
wow I forgot being a member of AP! I am sure that counts........well thank you Mark.....I will mention your name to the bigwigs! :):D