PDA

View Full Version : Looking for boom recommendation for monoblock + beauty dish

KLi
19-08-2011, 5:38pm
Hey all, I have been looking for a boom to mount an Einstein with a beauty dish, which should weight no more then 5kg.

I see a lot of recommendation for the avenger D600, but they are no where to be found in Australia and shipping would be $100 from B&H.

Therefore I am wondering if anyone here have used one and could recommend it.

Thank you

Wayne
19-08-2011, 6:00pm
I too am looking for stands that will support Elinchrom freelite A heads and a deep octa and the Octabank 74" outdoors without flying away so easily.

Weight not an issue for me, heavy is good, less sandbagging etc but availabillty here in Aus, and shipping from USA is more than the stands cost.

Be interested if you find something :)

kiwi
19-08-2011, 7:38pm
Check out dragon imaging peeps

JM Tran
19-08-2011, 7:46pm
those booms from dragons arent that......strong and I have no faith in them for big monolights with big softboxes mounted on it - in the vicinity of 10kg and more

I used something called a Super Boom - cant remember who makes it but I hire it from Silverback Studios in Adelaide, it is a massive boom able to dangle a adult human on it - thus making me feel a lot safer when I have a big 1000ws light attached to a 5 or 7 foot softbox on it.

maybe send Simon from Silverback Studios an email and ask where he got it from, he told me it was only about 700 bucks or so

that being said, I did buy 2 very cheap and lightweight booms for external flashes and LED panels - cant comment much on it as its not delivered yet, but the link is below

http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l3.aspx?goods=LF0085&cam=14

ricktas
19-08-2011, 7:48pm
Can I make a recommendation? I just looked at your posts KLi, and I had to go back to June to find where you had critiqued another members work. Ausphotography is a two way interaction, so along with asking all your questions, how about giving something back to the other members as well

KLi
19-08-2011, 8:17pm
those booms from dragons arent that......strong and I have no faith in them for big monolights with big softboxes mounted on it - in the vicinity of 10kg and more

I used something called a Super Boom - cant remember who makes it but I hire it from Silverback Studios in Adelaide, it is a massive boom able to dangle a adult human on it - thus making me feel a lot safer when I have a big 1000ws light attached to a 5 or 7 foot softbox on it.

maybe send Simon from Silverback Studios an email and ask where he got it from, he told me it was only about 700 bucks or so

that being said, I did buy 2 very cheap and lightweight booms for external flashes and LED panels - cant comment much on it as its not delivered yet, but the link is below

http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l3.aspx?goods=LF0085&cam=14

I would imagine the super-booms being huge, I am looking for a more portable solution. Those cheap ones would be closer to the size I want, not sure about their max load since it's not on the website.

Can I make a recommendation? I just looked at your posts KLi, and I had to go back to June to find where you had critiqued another members work. Ausphotography is a two way interaction, so along with asking all your questions, how about giving something back to the other members as well

I will be sure to try help out others as well.