PDA

View Full Version : Lens Pen for Sensor

CAP
18-08-2011, 8:50pm
Any of you AP guys & girls out there use a Lens Pen & Rocket Blower combo for cleaning your sensors??
Interested to hear all the reasons for and against.
Just purchased a new set of 3 Lens Pens and thinking of keeping the 3 point head one solely for the purpose of sensor cleaning.

kiwi
18-08-2011, 9:10pm
Nope, I wouldn't.

jasevk
18-08-2011, 9:13pm
Nope, I wouldn't.

I'm with Kiwi... No way. I clean my own sensors but I would only use an arctic butterfly. It's taken me alot of guts and practice on a cheaper camera though!

jjphoto
18-08-2011, 9:15pm
I have the lens pen, sensor pen or whatever they call it, and use it when I need to.

Thing is, I use a blower first. Then I use a brush, one of those electrified spinning static ones, whatever-the-heck-they're-called. Then I use the senor pen if I have to.

If all that doesn't work then I have a cry in the corner in the foetal position, shake some sense into myself, then give it a wet sensor clean.

Never had to go through all that shit with film...

JJ

Frank 44
18-08-2011, 9:17pm
I am with the above No way

Speedway
18-08-2011, 9:18pm
No1 The lens pen is too bulky for sensor cleaning, it's for lenses.Get a propper sensor cleaning kit like the Copperhill wet and dry kit, they are fairly simple to use and are designed for the job.
Keith.

Tricky
18-08-2011, 9:30pm
Definitely don't use a lens pen. And don't use a blower, you just blow all the dust around inside your body and onto the sensor!

The only way of cleaning your sensor, in my view, is the Copperhill method. See thread here on how to do it:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?53283-Sensor-cleaning-the-Copperhill-way.&highlight=copperhill

Copperhill kit available from Stu at forum sponsor Quality Camera. You can also check youtube for tutorials on how to do the Copperhill sensor clean. I've done it maybe 6 times since moving from film cameras... never had an issue. Just take your time.

Mark L
18-08-2011, 9:33pm
Link found in AP library http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/cleaning.html

jjphoto
18-08-2011, 9:40pm
No1 The lens pen is too bulky for sensor cleaning, it's for lenses.Get a propper sensor cleaning kit like the Copperhill wet and dry kit, they are fairly simple to use and are designed for the job.
Keith.

There is a product from Lens Pen called SensorKlear. This is the item I'm using, not a lens cleaning instrument. It's specifically for cleaning sensors.

I don't know if this is what the OP is talking about though.

JJ

reaction
22-08-2011, 2:15pm
Do a search for VisibleDust Sensor Cleaning Swabs Problems.
Then never think of cleaning your sensor again.