PDA

View Full Version : Full week of photography - now Im back

ksolomon
18-08-2011, 5:45pm
Hi all,
Im back on line after agreeing to do the photography for a corporate 3 day conference. Wow I take my hat off to all professionals. I had a great time all the while learning some curve balls along the way but it is all experience. I took over 1200 photos during the time they wanted a photo documentary of everything. Have been processing over the last 2 days and still away to go.

Just wanted to say hi and hope to catch up with the threads in the next few days and will post some photos for CC of my adventure and challenges.

Kassy:)

kiwi
18-08-2011, 6:14pm
I hope you charged and didn't do a pro out of a job kassy ?

colinbm
18-08-2011, 7:22pm
I think this pro is trying to grow :scrtch:
Col

ksolomon
18-08-2011, 8:19pm
I hope you charged and didn't do a pro out of a job kassy ?

Yes Kiwi I did they even paid for all my expenses including accommodation/food.

Just a thought .. how does one build and become pro if they don't take on jobs like this, just because they think they may not be ready? Maybe you didn't mean it that way

kiwi
18-08-2011, 8:48pm
Good

I agree it's a tough issue

On one hand as a part time professional I don't want to take bread and butter off a ft pros table, on the other hand I want to and can do professional work and want to be compensated accordingly

I think it comes down to charging a fair rate for your time and materials and taking into account your experience

I think personally that there are plenty of opportunities to gain experience without purporting being a professional and only start charging when you reach a certain standard and can provide a consistent product, buts that only my opinion and in the meantime not giving away stuff for free

ksolomon
18-08-2011, 8:54pm
Good

I agree it's a tough issue

On one hand as a part time professional I don't want to take bread and butter off a ft pros table, on the other hand I want to and can do professional work and want to be compensated accordingly

I think it comes down to charging a fair rate for your time and materials and taking into account your experience

I think personally that there are plenty of opportunities to gain experience without purporting being a professional and only start charging when you reach a certain standard and can provide a consistent product, buts that only my opinion.

Kiwi, I agree. I was asked to do this job, they know my experience level etc and I was grateful for the experience and learnt alot. For the record I didn't make a lot from this above the company covering my expenses at the venue. I believe also charging a fair price and I have worked very hard for it including the time I am now taking to process the images. I have a very high work ethic and know I have put much more time into this than the price charged. However the way I look at it, this is the second time this firm has used me and providing I live up to their expectations I hope it won't be the last.

This is needed to built the business I hope to have. If I fail at least I have put myself out there and tried my best :)