PDA

View Full Version : 2TB Seagate HardDrive $79.00 tonight only

ricktas
18-08-2011, 1:56pm
Dick Smith Electonics (DSE) are having a one hour deal this evening. 2TB Seagate external HardDrive for $79.00

Click HERE (http://dicksmith.com.au//offer/1hourdeal?FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474395181403&CONTENT<>cnt_id=10134198673356386) to see the deal

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 3:31pm
I clicked the link (then a second link) and you are then asked to pay $99 :(

Butts
18-08-2011, 3:37pm
Scotty, its for "THIS EVENING" between 7PM and 8PM when it will be $79.

Otherwise, its $99.

I'll be grabbing 2.

ricktas
18-08-2011, 4:06pm
Scotty, its for "THIS EVENING" between 7PM and 8PM when it will be $79.

Otherwise, its $99.

I'll be grabbing 2.

Thanks...yep Scotty, read the link when you first click, it says (and so does my original post) that it is a ONE HOUR DEAL, THIS EVENING!

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 4:59pm
Thanks...yep Scotty, read the link when you first click, it says (and so does my original post) that it is a ONE HOUR DEAL, THIS EVENING!

Oh, well, it seems an odd way to do this. They could state that on that page (after all, they are advertising it).

ricktas
18-08-2011, 5:05pm
Oh, well, it seems an odd way to do this. They could state that on that page (after all, they are advertising it).

Ummm .....

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 5:44pm
Clever editing Rick:D

If you follow the link (which you've cropped) you come to another page that isn't as informative. It says $99 with no mention of an upcoming deal.

Companies can easily get themselves into strife when different parts of a web site state different things.

Go into a Woolworths (as I do sometimes) and you will often find the same products on different shelves with different prices (because some employee has forgotten to remove a specials sign). It might be a genuine mistake but, it sometimes smells like a bait and switch.

Not saying this is the case here but, why couldn't they also put that clever marketing stuff on the next page - to be clear?

Probably because the first principle of marketing is to not be clear.:lol:

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 5:47pm
And remember, the key point.

That link - which you cropped out - is for the super-duper special...

NOT the product at it ordinary price.

A crucial difference.

ricktas
18-08-2011, 6:54pm
And remember, the key point.

That link - which you cropped out - is for the super-duper special...

NOT the product at it ordinary price.

A crucial difference.

of course the site has the $99 price on it now, cause the special doesn't happen till later this evening, and there is no legislation anywhere that states a retailer/seller has to advise anyone that something is going to be on special at some time in the future.:D

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 7:14pm
Fair enough but, I just don't think it is double-plus good to advertise a super-special then provide a link to the same item at a higher price.

You gotta admit, it is just a little slippery...

They really ought to make it so that, if you press the link at the wrong time, you are told to come back at the right time.

And my email to them told them so :th3:

gerry
18-08-2011, 8:56pm
interesting...could be trying to offload alot of these ones//

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-ST320005EXA101-RK/dp/B002BH4ONE

more details here

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Other-External-products/Seagate-Expansions-producing-loud-clicking-sound/td-p/30962

still, good price even if you rip the drive out and stick in a comp or enclosure.

Speedway
19-08-2011, 12:04am
Scotty if you clicked on the link at the correct time the price would have been correct. If you try to buy it outside the special time the $99 price tag is correct. "If all else fails read the instructions."
Keith.

JM Tran
19-08-2011, 12:42am
Scotty if you clicked on the link at the correct time the price would have been correct. If you try to buy it outside the special time the $99 price tag is correct. "If all else fails read the instructions."
Keith.

thats right, and thats all to it really! Dont know why such a fuss was raised, storm in a teacup.

jim
19-08-2011, 1:09am
Keith.

He knows that. It's just that how they've done it could be construed as verging on the unethical.

JM Tran
19-08-2011, 1:46am
He knows that. It's just that how they've done it could be construed as verging on the unethical.

I wouldnt even call it unethical, I see nothing wrong with it since it clearly states between 7PM-8PM on the ad.

Just like how I see Virgin or Jetstar posting up ads for happy hour sales or overseas sales from 4PM-8PM only with a link - yet if you click on it BEFORE THE SPECIFIED TIME - it will show you the normal price. So maybe click on it again at the specified time to get the bargain you want?

There is no misleading information or unethical practice from this ad or from the airline example I stated.

Have I mentioned storm in a teacup already?

Boo Hoo Hoo.......

rellik666
19-08-2011, 10:25am
I had the 1GB one of these and that had a loud clicking sound so I took it back and got another one.....all is good now! Did anyone actually get one? Scotty.......;)

Butts
19-08-2011, 10:27am
Okay, so the "special price" happened last night between 7pm and 8pm.
Who bought any?

I stated I was going to buy 2, but...........................after doing a bit of research about this particular drive I didn't!

gerry
25-08-2011, 3:05pm
I bought one, at that price you can simply rip the drive out, the problems appear to be more with the enclosure than the HDD.

Scotty72
25-08-2011, 8:35pm
Just once more...

I guess my intellect falls far short of the lofty heights of some others, but:

It said special price from time X to time Y... If you clicked it outside of this time, you were taken to the checkout for the same product at a much higher price.

This is a classic bait 'n' switch - (yes, people should be careful but, we could say the same about a lot things - we have many laws designed to protect people from themselves - I guess the intellectual elites may say, 'Why have any of those when people should just be careful?')

A more honest approach, to protect us in the hoi-polloi, would be to not direct you to the higher price, but to tell you to come back at time X.

Should the intelligentsia think that people should not be protected from seemingly obvious traps; that people should just be responsible for looking after themselves, then I guess they must also think:

- consumer / investment laws that protect us from dodgy products / scams (people should be more careful before they sign)
- safety fences around railroads taken down (why can't individuals be responsible protecting themselves?)
- nutrition info on food should be scrapped (every idiot knows a Mighty Angus or deep fried chicken is unhealthy)

But, when you are perfect, I guess you can afford you look down your nose at us lesser types.

Enough said.

Scotty

ricktas
25-08-2011, 8:42pm
Oh Dear, here we go again

Thread closed (as the offer is now over, and I cannot be bothered dealing with the crap that is posted on AP at times)