PDA

View Full Version : Laptop calibration

triptych
16-08-2011, 4:56pm
I bought a Spyder 3 Express on the weekend, and calibrated my laptop screen and now it is very warm...almost yellow. I followed the instruction and let it warm up for 30mins and no direct light on it while I was doing it.

Wonder what I have done wrong?

Here is a link to some images I edited after the Calibration...do they look ok as far as that is concerned?

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89822-A-gorgeous-family

ricktas
16-08-2011, 5:06pm
MOST monitors are to cold out of the box. By cold I don't mean not warmed up, but rather they have way to much blue in their factory default viewing settings. So if you are used to that, when you first calibrate a monitor, it is not unusual to think it looks to yellow/orange, till your eyes adjust to this

Your photos in your link look good to me (on a calibrated screen). Colours look very natural

JM Tran
16-08-2011, 5:09pm
gosh I was meant to post in this thread but posted in the other one somehow, so I'll just paste it here for reference sake!

on my calibrated macbook pro monitor the colours are a bit cooler and more pleasing, on my calibrated Dell external monitor the colours are very warm with a strong hint of magenta etc in it - something I have come to notice from using Spyders in the past hence I dont use them anymore.

bottom line is, even after calibration you cant expect a laptop monitor to be very accurate, to be required for professional editing. Use a decent external monitor as much as you can.

triptych
16-08-2011, 5:19pm
Thanks! So a monitor is added to the list of needs hehe...it gets longer every day!

peterb666
16-08-2011, 5:25pm
I have big differences between my laptop and my external monitor. Make sure the profile is correctly picked up when swapping over.

kenlip
06-09-2011, 3:29pm
I bought a Spyder 3 Express on the weekend, and calibrated my laptop screen and now it is very warm...almost yellow. I followed the instruction and let it warm up for 30mins and no direct light on it while I was doing it.

How do they look when you print them?

Ken

kenlip
07-09-2011, 9:52am
Here is a link to some images I edited after the Calibration...do they look ok as far as that is concerned?

On both my Macbook Pro and my 30" Apple Cinema monitor (both calibrated with an Eye1) the images look fine with respect to colour balance.

Very nice images, with #4 having that special quality of capturing the emotion.

Ken