PDA

View Full Version : Scotty's Garden meet-up in sydney - Darey's take

Darey
15-08-2011, 10:24pm
I had the pleasure of meeting with Scotty72 and Vanessa (Sunset) yesterday and we did a walk through the Sydney Botanical gardens to Mrs Macquarie's chair and then to Campbell Cove to get a Moon Rise over the Opera House.
We had a very enjoyable time and finished the night with Vanessa's family enjoying a nice Pizza at a pleasant Italian restaurant in The Rocks.

I haven't processed many of my shots but thought I would post the following as an example of the shots that were on offer.

Thanks Scotty and Vanessa for a good meet.

#1 A flying fox that got peed-off when some nasty person :cool: clapped their hands and woke him up.

#2 Scotty, Vanessa (Sunset) & Hubby and 2 other togs preparing to shoot the sunset.

#3 The Opera House (unprocessed except for conversion to jpeg in Elements 9 and resizing in BDSizer)

#4 Opera of the Moon - The moon rising next to the Opera House

#5 Campbell's Cove and to the Harbur Bridge

Scotty72
15-08-2011, 11:01pm
Your Opera House shot is great :) I'll have a go at a more subtle processing with mine after I finish marking the Trial HSC. 100 essays on the Great Gatsby. Yippee!

peterb666
15-08-2011, 11:02pm
Nice. I like the moon shot with the Opera House - looks a treat.

That second shot is a worry. Possibly a 10-stop ND would have helped unless you have a specific tog-filter.

Scotty72
15-08-2011, 11:16pm
Nice. I like the moon shot with the Opera House - looks a treat.

That second shot is a worry. Possibly a 10-stop ND would have helped unless you have a specific tog-filter.

Very funny Pete. :lol2: Har! Har!

I guess only someone of your immeasurable handsomeness could possible say such a thing. :lol:

I thought the Unabomber look was coming back into vogue?:Doh:

Scotty

Beauty is but skin deep: Ugly goes down to the bone.

sunset
16-08-2011, 7:41am
Hi Darey, have you gone all formal on me?!!! ... Vanessa .... What's wrong with Ness which you usually call me? !!
Like all your shots, well done. Great colours in them I'll ignore Pete's comments too :D

Darey
16-08-2011, 11:49am
Scotty,
Thanks, I look forward to seeing more of your shots and good luck with the exam paper marking.

Peter,
Thanks for the comment. I had my ND 400 filter with me but forgot to use it in shot #2 :D.

Ness,
Oops sorry, I was a little bit formal wasn't I. :) Thanks for the comment on the colors. The reason I posted the unprocessed OH shot (shot #3) was to show viewers just how good the color was just prior to the moon rise.

peterb666
16-08-2011, 12:26pm
I think it was the tog at the front that resulted in massive over-exposure. A minimum ND1000 is the way to go.

BTW, thanks for the kind words Scotty re my stunning good looks - but as you know, I am exceedingly modest.

judybee
16-08-2011, 12:42pm
Love the one of Campells Cove. This is a lovely shot.:th3:

NikonNellie
16-08-2011, 5:08pm
Love the second OH shot with the moon Greg and the Campbell's Cove one (without the crowds). Well done!

Lance B
16-08-2011, 6:14pm
Love the second OH shot and also the bridge shot! :th3:

Darey
16-08-2011, 9:31pm
Hi Judy,
Thanks for your kind comment. I also like the Campbells Cove shot too, mainly for the dynamic range I got in the shot. The D7000 never fails to impress me every time I use it.

Narelle,
Thanks for viewing and your comment. Its a shame you couldn't be with us, poor Ness had a hard time keeping me line without your help. :) I hope your gig went well.

Lance,
Thanks for your comment. Scotty had the TPE App on his phone so we were able to find the right location to get the moon rise next to the OH and the rest depended on nature. Nature was kind and we managed to get some cloud in the scene.

raccoon
17-08-2011, 6:20am
Hi Greg, l love #4 and 5 great shots.

Tommo224
17-08-2011, 4:58pm
Lovely shots !!

enVision
17-08-2011, 6:26pm
Love #4 and #5. Just seems so sharp. Well done mate.

Danielle10
17-08-2011, 6:40pm
Cool, love them all. nice one of scotty too, looks like youre enjoying yourself mate.
love the moon one.
Sorry i couldnt make it, hopefully next meet i can

Darey
17-08-2011, 8:26pm
Paul,
Thanks mate I am very happy with them.

Tommo,
Thanks for commenting.

enVision,
Thanks for viewing and commenting, we had good conditions on the night.

Danielle,
Thanks for your kind comments. We had a good time and I'm happy with the shots we got.
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the next meet.

old dog
17-08-2011, 8:39pm
looks and sounds like you all had a good time....and I love the second OH shot as well...just beautiful.

AmPhot
19-08-2011, 12:11pm
Your night shots never fail to disappoint Greg, quality work as always. Was bummed out I couldn't make this meet. Did you guys get any macros or were there no flowers out yet ?

Darey
19-08-2011, 4:14pm
Graeme,
Thanks for viewing and your kind comment, we had a good tome and were rewarded with a good moonrise.

Glenn,
Spring hasn't hit the Botanical Gardens yet and there wasn't much going on in the macro genre. My macro shots were ordinary but I think Scotty got a few good ones. I don't know how Ness went, she seemed to be taking a few bird shots and spent some time with her family (when not trying to climb trees :D )
I think you would have got some good macro shots (between rain showers) because you have an eye for macro and would have naturally spotted the opportunities.

See ya at the next meet.

sunset
21-08-2011, 12:27am
I don't know how Ness went, she seemed to be taking a few bird shots and spent some time with her family (when not trying to climb trees :D )

I went OK but as usual not enough time to process/post any photos. I will try ,,, :D