PDA

View Full Version : D7000 vs D300s

knumbnutz
14-08-2011, 10:58pm
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a real comparo between these two cameras ?
I understand that the D7000 should have better hi ISO capability and resolution.
Both are weather resistant.

I have a D700 and want to get a crop camera, i also have a sigma 120-300mm F2.8 that i want to use on it, mainly sports and a lighter travel option than FX.
I hope the D7000 can work the sigma ?

But the specs dont really say why the D300s is better (because it is higher value) so I am trying to work out which is going to be the best option.
just AF ?

Thanks Neil

RRRoger
15-08-2011, 12:34am
Take your Sigma 120-300 and a SDHC card down to you local camera store and try them on the D5100, D7000, and D300.
Personally, I even prefer the 5100 to the D300, I also use it for Video.
If your Sigma is not the HSM version, forget the D5100, it has no focus motor.
You should get an idea of how they handle and when you get home you can compare the images.

kiwi
15-08-2011, 6:25am
If for sport I think compare af points and features, and buffer size etc

I think the d300s for the money is still the best dx camera but the d7000 sure comes close

RRRoger
15-08-2011, 6:40am
If for sport I think compare af points and features, and buffer size etc

I think the d300s for the money is still the best dx camera but the d7000 sure comes close

for the extra money, you are not getting much. The D7000 has better AF and much better image quality.
You are paying more for more buffer and bigger, heavier body.
Wait for the D400 if you want to beat the D7000.

ricktas
15-08-2011, 7:00am
There is no reason your siggy lens won't work on it. Nikon in their wisdom, made their DX and FX lenses basically the same, except for the image circle. Thus you can swap lenses back and forth as you wish. The only limitations are as stated above, some lenses will be manual only, and if you put a DX lens on an FX body, the camera will auto-crop the result to fit the smaller image circle of the DX lens.

knumbnutz
15-08-2011, 9:13am
There is no reason your siggy lens won't work on it. Nikon in their wisdom, made their DX and FX lenses basically the same, except for the image circle. Thus you can swap lenses back and forth as you wish. The only limitations are as stated above, some lenses will be manual only, and if you put a DX lens on an FX body, the camera will auto-crop the result to fit the smaller image circle of the DX lens.

Hi Rick,
In another thread there is a concern about the D7000 somehow being slightly different in the focusing protocols or something making certain sigma lenses in operable for AF.
The D300s makes a lot of sense in some respects, its basically a D700 in FX ? same CF card slot and overall shape.
But the D7000 is better in some respects too.
Anyway i guess the first step is to take the lens to the shop and try, i dont think many people have this lens (but its a superb lens !)
Cheers Neil

junqbox
15-08-2011, 10:35am
If you have a grip for for your 700, it will work on the 300. The 300 has a magnesium body like the 700. I don't believe the 7000 has that. If weight is your concern, you may want to go the 7000 route. If you want a higher level of robustness the 300 might be worth the extra bucks. Overall the 300 has more cross compatibilty with the 700, eg- CF card, battery, etc.

Jarra
15-08-2011, 11:56am
Have had a play with the D300s and after months of research (even looking at the dreaded Canons) decided on the D7000. For a bloke with big hands the D300s is more comfortable to hold but thats it in my opinion. Get the D7000. It is an awsome piece of kit surpassing the D300s in most respects. Or wait for the D400.........

Sar NOP
15-08-2011, 8:19pm
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a real comparo between these two cameras ?
I understand that the D7000 should have better hi ISO capability and resolution.
Both are weather resistant.

I have a D700 and want to get a crop camera, i also have a sigma 120-300mm F2.8 that i want to use on it, mainly sports and a lighter travel option than FX.
I hope the D7000 can work the sigma ?

But the specs dont really say why the D300s is better (because it is higher value) so I am trying to work out which is going to be the best option.
just AF ?

Thanks Neil
The difference varies from one photographer to another and also from one subject to another (it's true for every cameras !).
Try both cameras yourself with your lenses and on your usual subjects. Then, make your own opinion...

arthurking83
15-08-2011, 8:47pm
Hi Rick,
In another thread there is a concern about the D7000 somehow being slightly different in the focusing protocols or something making certain sigma lenses in operable for AF.
The D300s makes a lot of sense in some respects, its basically a D700 in FX ? same CF card slot and overall shape.

I don't know which of the 'certain' Sigma lenses are affected, but member HelmutK has a D7000 and a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro, and it focuses perfectly ..... perfect! :p

There may be some older Sigma lenses that may be affected in some manner(this has been known to happen in Canon mount before).
Having said that, tho, historically, Sigma are very good with any issues involving focusing protocols, and incompatibilities, where they issue firmware updates on the lenses, and all you need to is to get it to a Sigma dealer to effect this firmware update. Has been free(for life) in previous times, and there's no reason to suspect otherwise now!

I'm not sure who made reference to the D7000 focusing system being better than a D300(s, or otherwise) but in my brief playing with the D7000 against the D300, I felt the D300 was more 'positive' or faster.
Once again this was restricted to using the Sigma 150 Macro lens tho(HSM).

When I had the opportunity to play with the D7000, I have to say that my only criticism of it was the small size of it. Pretty trivial, and more of a personal preference really, and from experience my had will cramp up with prolonged use of one. The larger sized D300 just feels more comfy in my hand, whereas with the D7000 requires me to compress my fingers more and hence they'll eventually cramp up. Mind you I don't use straps and stuff like that too.
I didn't get too many lower ISO images with the D7000 to directly compare, but of the ISO3200 and above images, the D7000 is way ahead of the D300, in terms of both noise suppression and image detail.. so it's not like you get better signal to noise quality due to more noise reduction only, there is still better detail retention in the image.

super duper
15-08-2011, 9:35pm
The 7000 has a greater iso range, slower fps and doesn't have the bracketing range of the d300s. The 300s and the 700 take all the same accessories (I think, double check), eg battery, remote, cards, grip etc.

arthurking83
15-08-2011, 10:35pm
One perfomance difference I remember between the D300 and the D7000 was the buffer. If you regularly shoot massive burst series, then the more restrictive buffer of the D7000 may end up becoming annoying.
I don't know if this is simply card type related, SD being slower than CF, or if it is a camera limit too. Helmut seemed to have a speedy enough SD card, but after about 12 frames(raw) the D700 slowed, D300 should shoot well into the 20+ range in raw format before slowing. By default CF cards are faster than SD cards.

As Super Duper said, about accessories. D300 and D700 all use the same accessory types, batteries, grips, 10pin connector accessories, and so on.
PITA if you choose Nikon accessory hardware, but if you choose thirdparty accessories, some can use removable cables with connection ends for different camera types(even brands). Eg. Phottix wireless remotes now use removable cables, and you can order more cable types to suit.
Nikon would be wise to get with the times too, but that would mean less gouging(but I won't break out into a rant over such trivial matters :p)

fillum
16-08-2011, 2:30am
I can't quite see what you'd be gaining by getting a D300s. It's around the same size and I think only slightly lighter than the D700 so it doesn't really offer much in the way of a "lighter travel option". The D7000 is a bit smaller and lighter, and something like the D5100 is smaller and lighter still.

Is there a problem using the D700 for sport? You get more 'reach' of course with the crop sensor, but you could get close to that by adding a 1.4x TC on your D700. You lose a stop in max aperture but the better high-ISO performance of the D700 should make up for that. A grip (e.g. Zeikos, ~$80 from memory) will give you 8fps on your D700, same as the D300s.

Cheers.

knumbnutz
16-08-2011, 10:37am
Thanks for the responses !

I have a 120-300 F2.8 and a 2xTC so in theory 600mmF5.6, i also have 70-200f2.8 so focal length range is not too much of an issue.
I think the D300s is probably in some ways the best way to go, AF is main consideration followed by ISO and weight and performance.
It would be nice to have some better ISO and if it is heavy like the D700 then the wife can stick to the pentax KM which is perfect for her - size and weight wise.

What is the equiv FOV on the D7000/D300s with a 600mm attached ? 900mm ?

Cheers Neil

I can't quite see what you'd be gaining by getting a D300s. It's around the same size and I think only slightly lighter than the D700 so it doesn't really offer much in the way of a "lighter travel option". The D7000 is a bit smaller and lighter, and something like the D5100 is smaller and lighter still.

Is there a problem using the D700 for sport? You get more 'reach' of course with the crop sensor, but you could get close to that by adding a 1.4x TC on your D700. You lose a stop in max aperture but the better high-ISO performance of the D700 should make up for that. A grip (e.g. Zeikos, ~$80 from memory) will give you 8fps on your D700, same as the D300s.

Cheers.

kiwi
16-08-2011, 10:46am
For sport you will not be shooting 600 f/5.6 to start with, well, maybe cricket

Too long a focal length and too much DOF.

If the action's that far away, so are you.

zollo
16-08-2011, 9:30pm
the d7000 supports the new UHS-1 type sd cards, whereas the d300s does not. therefore if you take advantage and have a UHS-1 sd card, you will find the d7000 just as capable of clearing the buffer as any cf card, and in my experience, quicker. I have both the 7000 and 300s and although I am unable to prove it on the net, I find the 7000 constantly focuses faster, especially in low light, both with nikkor lens and the few sigmas I own. the fps is slightly down compared to the 300s. in the iso wars, the 7000 beats the 300s hands down. same too in dynamic range, an underrated advantage for the 7000. as for durability, both the 7000 and 300s are rated at 150 000 shutter actuations, I think Nikon may be trying to tell us something with that!

as someone has previously said, the 7000 beats up on the 300s quite convincingly in my experience, and despite its slighly smaller body, is always my first pick now for DX, probably until the 400 comes out or something

kiwi
17-08-2011, 7:49am
Interesting zollo. Thanks.

ecopix
17-08-2011, 9:17pm
D7000-D300s compo

There might be less difference at lower ISO. I compared the controlled laboratory shots from the dpreview site (see below). I’ve had to reduce them 50% to 1000 pixels for the forum, but even the originals showed very little difference.

The D7000 is a nice camera and probably the pick of DX Nikons at this moment, but if you’re shooting with D300s (as I am), I wouldn’t be losing any sleep over the difference, at least up to 1600ISO (I didn’t look at higher).

What we see as a big difference may not be very important to the final viewer. The trouble with splitting hairs is that customers read the claims and then start questioning a photographer’s choice of gear. In my experience customers suffer almost universally from the little-bit-of-knowledge-is-dangerous syndrome.

If I upgrade, it would be from customer pressure, not technical need. The D300’s 12 million quality pixels are quick to work with, and produce sublime reproductions at A3 in print.

Cheers.

Lance B
17-08-2011, 9:41pm
Don't know about the D300's high ISO ability when compared to the D7000, but I do know the D7000 has some very impressive high ISO ability almost that of the D700. I do sometimes get a tad confused when swapping from D700 to D7000 as the controls are slightly different, the most annoying being that can't set the front control dial to be for EV compensation, but there are a few other niggles. What I'd love is a D300s with D7000 sensor and that way, it would be just like a D700 in DX! However, I am very impressed with the D7000.

Here are some sample shots of the D7000 at ISO 6400 and ISO3200:

ISO6400:
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/131791678/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/131919298/original.jpg

ISO3200:

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/131876220/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/131853863/original.jpg

Wayne
17-08-2011, 9:46pm
I would be waiting for the D300s replacement unless you are constrained by budget. It is supposedly only days away, and tests will no doubt soon follow.

arthurking83
17-08-2011, 10:05pm
....... when swapping from D700 to D7000 as the controls are slightly different, the most annoying being that can't set the front control dial to be for EV compensation, but there are a few other niggles.......

Not even in Shutter Priority mode?

Isn't there an option to reverse the controls(and set command via the front wheel and sub command via the rear wheel?)

Personally I'd find that confusing anyhow, as I'm just so used to how Nikon have them set by default as they are. Command(rear) and subcommand(front) as they are, and quick compensation via the command wheel. I do get myself confused tho, on the very rare occasion when I switch to [S] mode and confuse myself.

If I wanted pure higher ISO quality, then the D7000 is most certainly the way to go(as well as slightly better dynamic range at lower ISO's too), but I reckon for pure performance the 300's are a bit better specced.

As for this UHS-1 card type, I tend not to get too interested in 'theoretical' ancillary performances until they have proven themselves to be capable of what they're supposed to be! :rolleyes:
At least we know that CF cards are capable of an extremely fast transfer rate

zollo
18-08-2011, 12:44am
As for this UHS-1 card type, I tend not to get too interested in 'theoretical' ancillary performances until they have proven themselves to be capable of what they're supposed to be! :rolleyes:

its quite far from theoretical :) do watch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyJ13lZEsw

knumbnutz
18-08-2011, 10:56am
Thats pretty much where i'm at.
Its about $250 difference at the moment and if the lens works on the D7000 or i can get it chipped for free then D7000 is probably the better option. If of course the supposed new D400 came in at $1500~ then its a different ball game....

I would be waiting for the D300s replacement unless you are constrained by budget. It is supposedly only days away, and tests will no doubt soon follow.

ecopix
18-08-2011, 12:48pm
Lovely shots, Lance. Could you tell us how you have the High NR set on the D7000? I’ve found that on my D300s (I mean plural of D300 – tricky, that), High NR needs to be set to Low, which gives moderate grain but good detail.

If set to Normal, the detail is badly affected (the equivalent of shooting through a tele lens a few grand cheaper than the one you shelled out for!!), and the grain, while smoothened, tends to get clumpy, with largish black dots that persist when viewed at normal magnifications.

Of course it’s hard to judge grain and detail on 1000 pixel screen images. Do you find the fine detail gets lost on the D7000 at 1600 or 3200 ISO with NR on?

While I’m here I should clarify my customer comment in the above post, lest the good people I’m working for think I’m referring to them!

‘Customers’: commercial clients and art directors - the types who are forever telling you how to do your job and that the next photog can do it cheaper or better or both. I don’t refer to the lovely conservation people I’ve worked with. They leave the technical to the technician.

AWC are unbelievable to work for – they tell me what reserve to go to and leave the rest up to me! Can’t get a better ‘customer’ than that, and I reciprocate by pushing myself that bit further to get the best shots I can for them, and buying the best camera, all things considered….

I would say the D400 will be more than $1500! Consider the evolution of the D100, D200 and D300, which have slowly been going up market, the dropping of the D2x pro DX camera, and the upping of the D90 series to the D7000 with higher specs like non-CPU lens compatibility, full metal jacket, 150000 cycle shutter. I’m guessing the D400 will be a fully pro DX camera with a price (and maybe the weight and size?) to match. Not sure if I need that…

Thanks for all this valuable info.

Lance B
18-08-2011, 3:02pm
Not even in Shutter Priority mode?

Isn't there an option to reverse the controls(and set command via the front wheel and sub command via the rear wheel?)

You can reverse the controls, but it still doesn't give me the option of having EV compensation on either front or rear wheel without needing to press the EV comp button as well. I like to use rear for aperture and front for EV compensation as this is what I have set up on my D700 and how I could set my Pentax cameras when I used them. As it is, I have to press the EV comp button and then turn the rear wheel to adjust compensation, which slows things down as I end up fumbling for buttons. With the D700, all I need to do is turn the front dial without the need to push the EV comp button.

Personally I'd find that confusing anyhow, as I'm just so used to how Nikon have them set by default as they are. Command(rear) and subcommand(front) as they are, and quick compensation via the command wheel. I do get myself confused tho, on the very rare occasion when I switch to [S] mode and confuse myself.

But you need to press the EV comp button as well as turn the rear dial, whereas with my method, as used on my D700, all you need to do is turn the front dial without pushing the EV comp button, much faster!

If I wanted pure higher ISO quality, then the D7000 is most certainly the way to go(as well as slightly better dynamic range at lower ISO's too), but I reckon for pure performance the 300's are a bit better specced.

I would have to agree. However, for my purpose, which is basically using the D7000 for long lens work and therefore birding due to the crop factor, I find that I am usually needing to use high ISO in order to use high shutter speeds to stop action and in order to employ the old 1/focal length x 1.5 (for DX) rule of thumb. Also, many of these birds are in the bushes and therefore dark, or I am trying to get even light which is in the late afternoon or early morning which is also when they are most active and also when the light is dimmer. If the replacement D300 has as good ISO (but will probably be better) as the D7000, then I will more than likely get that for my long lens camera as it will mirror the functionality of the D700 (and proabably the D700 replacement as well).

Lance B
18-08-2011, 3:13pm
Lovely shots, Lance.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Could you tell us how you have the High NR set on the D7000? I’ve found that on my D300s (I mean plural of D300 – tricky, that), High NR needs to be set to Low, which gives moderate grain but good detail.

I can't remember where I have the noise set at, but it is either low or normal. I will check tonight when I get home.

I shoot RAW, convert to 16bit TIFF in Capture One Pro 6 with all necessary adjustments like WB saturation exposure, lens aberrations ets. In Photoshop CS5, I then use Noiseware Pro plug in for noise reduction if applicable and then reduce for web and sharpen with Power Retouche plug in.

If set to Normal, the detail is badly affected (the equivalent of shooting through a tele lens a few grand cheaper than the one you shelled out for!!), and the grain, while smoothened, tends to get clumpy, with largish black dots that persist when viewed at normal magnifications.

Of course it’s hard to judge grain and detail on 1000 pixel screen images. Do you find the fine detail gets lost on the D7000 at 1600 or 3200 ISO with NR on?

It depends on the exposure and whether there is much dark or light colours in the image and whether the DR is within range. Generally, at ISO1600, the detail is still very good and at ISO3200 there is minimal loss of detail. As you can see by the lemur shot, there is certainly plenty of detail! But it is light colours and well within DR and therefore noise is minimal even at ISO6400!

While I’m here I should clarify my customer comment in the above post, lest the good people I’m working for think I’m referring to them!

I tend to agree with those sentiments when it comes to some people, ie "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing". I actually think many of us get caught up with the nuances and minor advantages of one camera over the other, when in all reality, the difference is so small that most can't even see it even if it is pointed out!

[qoute]‘Customers’: commercial clients and art directors - the types who are forever telling you how to do your job and that the next photog can do it cheaper or better or both. I don’t refer to the lovely conservation people I’ve worked with. They leave the technical to the technician.[/quote]

I hear what you say!

AWC are unbelievable to work for – they tell me what reserve to go to and leave the rest up to me! Can’t get a better ‘customer’ than that, and I reciprocate by pushing myself that bit further to get the best shots I can for them, and buying the best camera, all things considered….

I would say the D400 will be more than $1500! Consider the evolution of the D100, D200 and D300, which have slowly been going up market, the dropping of the D2x pro DX camera, and the upping of the D90 series to the D7000 with higher specs like non-CPU lens compatibility, full metal jacket, 150000 cycle shutter. I’m guessing the D400 will be a fully pro DX camera with a price (and maybe the weight and size?) to match. Not sure if I need that…

Thanks for all this valuable info.

I agree. I think the D400 will be much dearer than AU$1500, more like AU$1999.

Wayne
18-08-2011, 6:01pm
I can see the D300s replacement nearer to $2500AUD, the D300 was almost that when it debuted.

Sar NOP
18-08-2011, 9:18pm
If the D300s replacement is a DX pro body, it will probably be around AU$5K !!!

Nikon won't set the price of the new DX body (D400 or whatever) too low, just to kill the D7000 sale...

arthurking83
18-08-2011, 10:06pm
You can reverse the controls, but it still doesn't give me the option of having EV compensation on either front or rear wheel without needing to press the EV comp button as well. I like to use rear for aperture and front for EV compensation as this is what I have set up on my D700 and how I could set my Pentax cameras when I used them. As it is, I have to press the EV comp button and then turn the rear wheel to adjust compensation, which slows things down as I end up fumbling for buttons. With the D700, all I need to do is turn the front dial without the need to push the EV comp button.

But you need to press the EV comp button as well as turn the rear dial, whereas with my method, as used on my D700, all you need to do is turn the front dial without pushing the EV comp button, much faster!.....

Aha! I knew I knew what you were referring too, but I didn't know that by default it was set to off.

What you are referring too Lance is easy exposure compensation ... no special feature and Nikon have had it on this level body since the D70(that I know of).

Firstly: Menu item b3, it's easy compensation, it's set to off, you want it on, set it to on.
This is what you are referring too.
My confusion as to why you refer to it by the specific command dial, is most likely due to the fact that you shoot in Shutter Priority for most of the time.
What you describe is true in Shutter priority, but in Aperture Priority mode, you (easily)compensate by tuning the rear dial(command wheel) instead.
All Nikon's at this level and above work in this manner.
I thought you had a special feature on the D700 where you could set easy compensation adjustment to only work via the front dial(sub command wheel). <- hence my confusion.

The reverse controls feature is also another way to alter the setting you are referring too. Where Command and Sub Command change from rear and front respectively, to front and rear respectively.

Anyhow.... check menu b3, set it to on and have fun. :th3:

Note of course you don't get easy compensation when in Manual mode, nor in Program mode tho. You need to press the exposure compensation button and do it the old fashioned way.

..... I think the D400 will be much dearer than AU$1500, more like AU$1999.

LOL! Lance you must be a recent convert to the Nikon fold :D ... try $2599 as the cheapest base price at introduction, most likely more like $2799 at most retailers for a while as the hype wears off after the first three months, and then slowly reducing to a more evenly keeled $1899 after three solid years of solid profit building for Nikon :p
(my money is on the magic figure of either $2899 or $2999 RRP here in Aus, as the starting price!)

arthurking83
18-08-2011, 10:26pm
Oh! and Zollo. That link to the YouTube vid is pretty useless really. I feel for the poor bloke tho, and maybe his understanding of (Nikon) camera operation and settings is a bit below par.
If you want to do a speed test on the card, unless the D7000 is limited to a buffer of 10 shots in raw format as the upper limit, he should have to set the camera to an unfettered burst limit(it should have a setting for 100 frames in a continuous burst). By setting this setting to 100, you effectively get to use all of the available memory buffer before it fills up and slows to the slower rate of shooting.

On the top LCD there is an indicator for the possible buffer size remaining at any given time. If you half press the release, an r value is flashed up onto the LCD. This rXX value is how many frames are available in the buffer. But!!! It can be arbitrary, and not 100% reliable(I don't know if it's supposedly a guide or an exact amount) but it can also be artificially set too. Instead of setting max burst to 100, you set it to say 6 or 9 or 10 frames, the r value will change to indicate this.

In the video link provided, the r value is only 10. Either the maker of the video didn't know about this max continuous burst setting, or the D7000 is set to a lower value of 10 frames???
FWIW: D300 does at least 17 that I know of. With my old card, it ran out of puff at about 6 or 9 or whatever(but this suited me fine for a long time), and with my new card, the r value says 17(that is r17), but I've had up to 24 frames in a burst, and can easily get 22 or so before slow down.
I suppose the difference is really in that it allows you an extra second of high speed burst. If that makes a difference, then there it is!

BUT!! in saying all that the D300 has a massive downside to it's performance ability which is very often overlooked(and interestingly enough the D3x is afflicted by the same issue).
When set to 14 bit raw mode, you can't get more than 1.5 fps, no matter what. This is the limit allowed by the sensor. It's an issue with the design of the Sony sensor, or more accurately the readout lines(DAC converter bandwidth, or something similar).
The D7000's sensor tho is different and max fps is available in both 12bit and 14bit modes. I generally don't shoot in 14bit mode for this reason, although I can do so when I do landscapes.. but I have to remember to set the camera to my Landscape specific memory bank.

Lance B
18-08-2011, 11:57pm
Aha! I knew I knew what you were referring too, but I didn't know that by default it was set to off.

Yes it is set to off as it was on my D700!

What you are referring too Lance is easy exposure compensation ... no special feature and Nikon have had it on this level body since the D70(that I know of).

Firstly: Menu item b3, it's easy compensation, it's set to off, you want it on, set it to on.
This is what you are referring too.
My confusion as to why you refer to it by the specific command dial, is most likely due to the fact that you shoot in Shutter Priority for most of the time.
What you describe is true in Shutter priority, but in Aperture Priority mode, you (easily)compensate by tuning the rear dial(command wheel) instead.
All Nikon's at this level and above work in this manner.
I thought you had a special feature on the D700 where you could set easy compensation adjustment to only work via the front dial(sub command wheel). <- hence my confusion.

See, I'm an idiot as I didn't look at that on the D7000. I did make this change on the D700 and I had forgotton what it was called and stupidly thought that the D7000 didn't have this feature. I thank you from the bottom of my heart! :efelant:

It now works perfectly. :D

The reverse controls feature is also another way to alter the setting you are referring too. Where Command and Sub Command change from rear and front respectively, to front and rear respectively.

Yes, I have altered these to the way I want them, ie rear for aperture and fron for EV comp (as you pointed out with the above easy compensation)

Anyhow.... check menu b3, set it to on and have fun. :th3:

Note of course you don't get easy compensation when in Manual mode, nor in Program mode tho. You need to press the exposure compensation button and do it the old fashioned way.

Yep.

LOL! Lance you must be a recent convert to the Nikon fold :D

A newbie, just over 12 months. :o

... try $2599 as the cheapest base price at introduction, most likely more like $2799 at most retailers for a while as the hype wears off after the first three months, and then slowly reducing to a more evenly keeled $1899 after three solid years of solid profit building for Nikon :p
(my money is on the magic figure of either $2899 or $2999 RRP here in Aus, as the starting price!)

You could well be correct as you know the history better than I. I was commenting on the price of a D300s as I know it now, not when it was introduced.

arthurking83
20-08-2011, 7:20am

Yes, I have altered these to the way I want them, ie rear for aperture and fron for EV comp (as you pointed out with the above easy compensation)

Aha! That makes sense now(why you explained it all in this manner.

In [A] and [M] mode, because command wheel controls shutter and subcommand wheel controls aperture, easy compensation is used via the shutter control wheel(ie. rear wheel) by default.
In [S] mode, easy exposure compensation is made via the aperture control ... ie front wheel. I wasn't sure if you just used [S] mode most of the time as you seem to do a lot of wildlife/birding type photography.

Your explanation all makes sense now.

One thing I wished Nikon would do (at least for the higher end bodies) is a configurable Function button for the left hand. That is, instead of(or in addition too) the two function buttons on the RHS, a left hand operated Fn button would be nice to have on the odd occasion.
I haven't changed the function buttons defaults on the D300(exposure bracketing on the Fn button, DOF preview on the DOFP button(which is just another Fn button).. but something I'd like to have access too, is a third Fn button where I could momentarily press, to do various other settings changes BUT on the LHS. The whole camera seems to be so right hand centric, where everything is adjusted and selected via the right hand. Even tho I'm right handed and it's the most natural manner for me to work, (being male)I find multitasking difficult enough in trying to do two things at once.. let alone three! :D
It'd be nice to be able to press a button on the left momentarily and using the rear wheel(Command for me) to move the focus point around the frame. Sometimes using the thumbwheel feels 'wrong' or awkward, and I don't want to lose the current Fn button settings(as I use them a lot) AND they awkward to use whilst half pressing(for metering) or focusing or whatever.
In general I find Nikon ergonomics to be 99.9% perfect (for me, on these larger sized bodies). But this concentration of righthandedness by Nikon is the only black mark and hence downgrade by 0.1% :p

Lance B
20-08-2011, 11:23am
Aha! That makes sense now(why you explained it all in this manner.

In [A] and [M] mode, because command wheel controls shutter and subcommand wheel controls aperture, easy compensation is used via the shutter control wheel(ie. rear wheel) by default.
In [S] mode, easy exposure compensation is made via the aperture control ... ie front wheel. I wasn't sure if you just used [S] mode most of the time as you seem to do a lot of wildlife/birding type photography.

Your explanation all makes sense now.

It's a funny thing when we try to explain something in print, like on a forum, as you can visualise it in your own mind and know how you are doing it, but sometimes the explanation doesn't quite make it clear. :)

One thing I wished Nikon would do (at least for the higher end bodies) is a configurable Function button for the left hand. That is, instead of(or in addition too) the two function buttons on the RHS, a left hand operated Fn button would be nice to have on the odd occasion.

Agreed.

I would also like Nikon to include a 2 second (or adjustable) timer for mirror up function. It works by pressing the shutter which lifts the mirror and 2 seconds later the shutter fires. This means that you do not have to use a remote control to release the shutter so as to minimse camera shake when you press the shutter even when on a tripod. Pentax has this option and it works brilliantly. Nikon have mirror up lock, but you still have to press the shutter button again to trip the shutter which can mean that it can cause camera shake even on a tripod. Yes, you can use a remote control to avoid camera shake, but it means setting this up. Having a 2 second (or adjustable) timer means that you just press it once and mirror goes up first and then the shutter trips 2 seconds later. :)

I haven't changed the function buttons defaults on the D300(exposure bracketing on the Fn button, DOF preview on the DOFP button(which is just another Fn button).. but something I'd like to have access too, is a third Fn button where I could momentarily press, to do various other settings changes BUT on the LHS. The whole camera seems to be so right hand centric, where everything is adjusted and selected via the right hand. Even tho I'm right handed and it's the most natural manner for me to work, (being male)I find multitasking difficult enough in trying to do two things at once.. let alone three! :D

I'd like that too!

It'd be nice to be able to press a button on the left momentarily and using the rear wheel(Command for me) to move the focus point around the frame. Sometimes using the thumbwheel feels 'wrong' or awkward, and I don't want to lose the current Fn button settings(as I use them a lot) AND they awkward to use whilst half pressing(for metering) or focusing or whatever.
In general I find Nikon ergonomics to be 99.9% perfect (for me, on these larger sized bodies). But this concentration of righthandedness by Nikon is the only black mark and hence downgrade by 0.1% :p

LOL. Coming from Pentax, all I can say is that Pentax and Nikon have about the best functionality as they are both very intuitively easy cameras to use. I tried Canon cameras a few times and they just baffle the hell out of me!!

fillum
20-08-2011, 1:46pm
I would also like Nikon to include a 2 second (or adjustable) timer for mirror up function.Isn't this what Exposure Delay Mode (menu d9 on the D300) does? (Not something I've used much so I don't know how well it works).

Cheers.

arthurking83
20-08-2011, 3:53pm
Isn't this what Exposure Delay Mode (menu d9 on the D300) does? (Not something I've used much so I don't know how well it works).

Cheers.

Yeah exposure delay is the trick. The delay is approx 1 second and then the shutter activates automatically.
D80 and D90 had exposure delay only, and no mirror lockup function at all, D70s and D70 had no delay function at all(and in reality why I upgraded to a Dxxx body and not the D80 or D90).

I remember reading a post/blog/or report of some kind, somewhere on the net, where someone had 'tested' the effectiveness of the 1sec exposure delay on the then new D80, and compared it to a D200(I think).
This bloke found that with his lenses of up to 300mm(I think f/4) the 1sec delay was sufficient on the D80, as the resonance vibration (that causes the image degradation) dissipates to insignificance after about 400ms or so.. or words to that effect, but the problem he found was that on a longer lens(can't remember if it were a 400/2.8, 500/4 or what??.. but one of those long uber lenses, the resonance remained in the lens's tube for about 1sec, which made the exposure delay feature ineffective in some instances. He used all manner of accelerometers to measure stuff and come to a conclusion.
Partly due to his tests, I decided that a D80(back then) was not what I wanted. MLU was a feature I just had to have.

peterb666
21-08-2011, 4:08pm
If the D300s replacement is a DX pro body, it will probably be around AU$5K !!!

Nikon won't set the price of the new DX body (D400 or whatever) too low, just to kill the D7000 sale...

Somehow I doubt that Nikon will be setting the price of the D300S replacement to be more than double the current model and around $2000 higher than the current full-frame model above it.

Typical Ausrtralian store prices now are D7000 $1550, D300S $2000, D700 $3000.

I @ M
21-08-2011, 4:25pm
Typical Ausrtralian store prices now are D7000 $1550, D300S $2000, D700 $3000.

Street price on the D300s in the upmarket shopping centres is currently at IDR 14,200,000 if that helps at all. :D

Blueywa
21-08-2011, 5:43pm
I suppose my view is more simplistic;
If I had a D700, I would be inclined to go a D300/D300S due to them using same batteries, grips etc.
However I am in the reverse position as I already have a D300S, but my foray into FX would be a D700 for the same reasons.
Hopefully meaning much less chance of me finding I had the wrong spare battery with me in the field.

I have been down a similar road when choosing a spare camera body.
Finally chose a D90 because it uses same batteries, lens's cables, etc. and it performs reasonably well to boot.
:)

Wayne
21-08-2011, 7:19pm
I would also like Nikon to include a 2 second (or adjustable) timer for mirror up function. It works by pressing the shutter which lifts the mirror and 2 seconds later the shutter fires. This means that you do not have to use a remote control to release the shutter so as to minimse camera shake when you press the shutter even when on a tripod. Pentax has this option and it works brilliantly. Nikon have mirror up lock, but you still have to press the shutter button again to trip the shutter which can mean that it can cause camera shake even on a tripod. Yes, you can use a remote control to avoid camera shake, but it means setting this up. Having a 2 second (or adjustable) timer means that you just press it once and mirror goes up first and then the shutter trips 2 seconds later. :)

On the D700 when using MUP, if you click the first time and leave it, 30secs late it will fire taking an exposure.

Lance B
21-08-2011, 8:08pm
On the D700 when using MUP, if you click the first time and leave it, 30secs late it will fire taking an exposure.

Interesting. A bit long to wait though, but good to know. Thanks.