PDA

View Full Version : upgrade

anzacman
14-08-2011, 11:04am
have been using digital camera for a while but I still love my NikonF4s camera, but decided to bite the bullet and am looking at buying a D90, the question is, I have 5 lenses for my NikonF4S which are AF lenses, will they fit and work on the D90. If this is the case it would save me money as I would only need to buy the body only. Any knowledge appreciated.

davidd
14-08-2011, 11:33am
Any Nikon AF lenses will work on the D90. Remember that there will be a 'crop factor' when using them on the D90, all your lenses will have an apparent focal length of 1.5x the same lens on a film camera or FX digital. For instance a 50mm lens will seem like a 75mm, and 24mm will seem like 36mm etc. It's good at the long end, but not so good at the wide end. You might be advised to look at getting an ultra wide lens if you intend shooting wide. There are a number of good 3rd party Ultra-wide zooms available which are less expensive than the Nikkors.

ameerat42
14-08-2011, 11:34am
Hi anzacman. Qs like this always interest me, so I went and had a look at a couple of sources. Lots of Nikon users will give you more definite answers, but DP Review had this in its info on that camera...

Lens mount • Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts
• Approx. 1.5x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)

Hopefully it would indicate a yes.
Am.

nightbringer
14-08-2011, 3:59pm
Your FX lenses will be fine on the D90, particularly since it has the screw motor as well for those lenses without built-in AF.

Like listed above, just remember the crop factor when looking at your FX lenses.

RRRoger
15-08-2011, 11:33pm
If you are buying used, get the D90
If new, why not the more capable D7000?
If you want FX check out a used D700 or wait for the replacement.
All your Nikon mount lens will work on these.
If in doubt, take your favorite lens to a camera store and try it.

peterb666
21-08-2011, 4:29pm
I have the D90 and it is a great camera but as it has been out of production for a while now it is getting quite scarce new. If you can afford it, I would go for the D7000 and would probably look at getting it with the standard 18-105mm VR lens which you will find will focus far more quickly and also has vibration reduction for hand-held work in poor light etc. The cost with the 18-105mm lens will add around $200 or so to the cost of the kit which is good value.