PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Scam

geoffsta
10-08-2011, 4:19pm
Just letting everyone know there is a paypal scam going around. I think.
Here is the message I got. Went to the link and got AVG saying it's an unsafe site.

Your credit card information has been changed.

On August 9, 2011, your credit card has been removed from your PayPal account.

You are receiving this email notification because this email address is listed as the administrative contact email for your PayPal account. If you belive this is an error, click the link below, log in to your PayPal account and follow the instructions.

https: //www .paypal. com.au /cgi-bin/cmd_help
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Just a warning.

old dog
10-08-2011, 4:22pm
thnks Geoff for the heads up.

geoffsta
10-08-2011, 4:30pm
I just logged on to paypal, and there was no mention of my credit card being cancelled.
It looks pretty convincing with the email address being paypal.com.au
Just wondering... Does https:// mean "home server" ????

Scotty72
10-08-2011, 4:34pm
https : the 's' means it has the security feature.... Used to be a padlock icon would appear.

WhoDo
10-08-2011, 5:50pm
Yep, it's a scam. Never, NEVER follow an emailed link. It's too easy to spoof addresses in emails. Good catch, Geoff. :th3:

colinbm
10-08-2011, 5:51pm
If you read & keep-up-to-date with PayPal, they say don't open anything. Just go to PayPal Australia & log in. You can report 'spoof emails' at spoof@paypal.com.au
Col

Scotty72
10-08-2011, 6:02pm
I just scared the crap outta myself. :(

This thread go me thinking so, I went to my bank account to check if all was ok.

$2000 missing ---:eek::(:action:

Then, I remembered I made a $2000 payment on Monday :Doh:

Anyone else managed to scare the crap outta themselves then, realise you're an idiot? :o

macmich
10-08-2011, 7:25pm
i have been getting the same messages for a couple of months now
i just bin them
i buy and sell on ebay all the time and my account has not changed
cheers macca

Mark L
10-08-2011, 8:24pm
Anyone else managed to scare the crap outta themselves then, realise you're an idiot? :o

I don't have to scare the crap out of myself to realise I'm an idiot!

colinbm
10-08-2011, 9:03pm
I just scared the crap outta myself. :(

This thread go me thinking so, I went to my bank account to check if all was ok.

$2000 missing ---:eek::(:action:

Then, I remembered I made a $2000 payment on Monday :Doh:

If anyone got my card it would scare the crap out of them :eek: :lol:
Col

geoffsta
10-08-2011, 10:01pm
This is how the bottom link should be. I copied the link, and pasted it into notepad.
http: //redir-payypall .dyndns-web .com /d/ index1.php

mongo
10-08-2011, 10:45pm
Just scarred the crap out of Mongo for a brief moment when he remembered he got a paypal message in late july re his linked bankcard expiring soon and to enter the new details.
He then remembered that his bankcard was about to expire (as indicated) and that he did not follow any link (if any was actually provided). The message actually said to log into my paypal account in the normal manner and enter any details if he wished to as the account would cease to be usable upon expiry of the current bankcard.

bricat
11-08-2011, 9:18am
If you hover the cursor over the link you will find that they are different addresses. Hence the link they gave you says paypal blah blah but the link that comes up might start paypal but then says redirect blah blah or even just a complete different address. Link comes up in bottom left corner...so you don't have to open that link cheers

davidd
11-08-2011, 12:06pm
One thing to remember is that Paypal always quotes your name to show it is a genuine email. Other spam emails just say 'Dear Paypal user..' or something similar.
They also say do not follow email links, but log on in the normal way.

Analog6
11-08-2011, 12:35pm
These go round about once a month - I just ignore & trash them. If there is really a problem with your account you get an email asking you to log on to Paypal and follow the prompts. There is never a link.

Bennymiata
11-08-2011, 1:34pm
I got an e-mail today telling me that i have just won Euro800,000!!
Aren't I lucky!

Especially lucky as I didn't even enter it. :efelant:

arthurking83
11-08-2011, 10:15pm
Just scarred the crap out of Mongo for a brief moment when he remembered he got a paypal message in late july re his linked bankcard expiring soon and to enter the new details.......

Mongo is scaring the crap out of AK83 now!

Bankcard ceased to exist in about 2007!
How he still manages to use their credit services would make for fascinating reading material! :D

either that, or Mongo is doing a Skyhooks rendition of .... I'm living in the seventies ...... :p

Nikkie
12-08-2011, 4:25am
Gee Geoff that must have scared you at first glad you got it sorted tho and thanks for the head up always good to be aware of these