PDA

View Full Version : Home printing

Kafter244
07-08-2011, 6:41pm
I'm trying to find an affordable and good quality home printer. I've been doing a bit of research and like the Epson range, but have also just seen this (http://www.directcolorsystems.com/flex33-printers.php) Does anyone with any knowledge of printers think this would be a good buy? I like the multiple inks and it says it's good for photo paper, but none of the other figures in the data sheet mean much to me :confused013 I like the eco angle, and the fact that it's media comes on a roll...any thoughts?

kiwi
07-08-2011, 7:55pm
I'd stick with Epson....never heard of he one linked to which would worry me re local support

atky
08-08-2011, 9:49pm
Hi. Recently bought a Canon pro 9000 II It wasn't affordable in Aust around $1000 so bought from US for $399 or about $499 delivered to my door I also us a after market ink supply system.
This system works but took a lot to get to work (Printer profiles etc) this has made printing at home affordable and has opened up another creative outlet.

MarkChap
08-08-2011, 9:59pm
I recently aquired a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 (series 1) not so much to print based on price, but to have total control over my prints.
I now print a lot more than I used to.

I would be sticking with the well established brands, the one you have linked to is primarily a vinyl printer, so I would question the long term viability with paper, I also think you will have trouble finding profiles for it.

Nikkie
09-08-2011, 10:43am
I don't know a lot about printers but Ill ask you this where else can you buy replacement inks from ? This might be a good starting point to find out I would also run a Google search and find out some more information research is the key before making the dive. If its multiply inks you want I got a canon MG5250 I find this one just fine for me right now I would be sticking to the more knowing brands canon or Epson

jasevk
10-08-2011, 5:41pm
I've been using an Epson 3880 recently and the additional colour management requirements in my workflow has been a learning curve to say the least... But the results have been simply mind blowing....

Bennymiata
11-08-2011, 1:29pm
Firstly, what type of prints do you want to do?
Are you happy just to do A4 and smaller prints, or do you want to do A3+ and looooooong panoramas?

Start out with a cheap A4 printer.
You can get quite good ones for less than $100, and when the ink runs out, get them re-filled at Cartridge World or somewhere similar for a fraction of the cost of originals.
I used to do a lot of DVD's and had a very nice automated DVD/CD colour printer.
The colured ink cartridge used to cost me over $100 a time and would do around 200 disks.
After getting sick of spending so much, I decided to try my local Cartridge World, which my IT guy said would only lead to trouble on my expensive printer, but I tried them, and not only did the cartridges only cost me $25, but the colours came out even better than the originals.
I used their cartridges for a couple of years without any problems at all.