PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it clean

driverkelly
07-08-2011, 6:16pm
I have a problem with keeping my camera body clean. I never noticed until last year when I spent over 7 months out of action because of operations. When I was able to lug my gear around again I noticed a build up of grime on the rubber hand grips. I have tried to clean with many substances including surgical wipes which worked to a degree but not completely. Asking around I have been advised it is a build up of body oils which seems reasonable but no one has been able to help me eradicate the problem. Any one with similar problems and more importantly advice on how to get rid of it .
Regards Allen.

kiwi
07-08-2011, 6:20pm
Dishwasher ? (gentle cycle)

I @ M
07-08-2011, 6:52pm
It's a Nikon, don't pussy foot around with the dishwasher, hit it with the pressure washer, it can handle it. :D

In all seriousness, it was only the other day that I noticed the inside of the grip, near the DOF and function buttons on the D700 has a bit of a waxy whitish build up :o and bit of a wipe with a chux seemed to take fair bit of it off.

kiwi
07-08-2011, 7:04pm
I think a bit of patina can only enhance a cameras value

I wouldn't personally do anything in case it affected the rubbers adhesive which is common problem

RRRoger
08-08-2011, 12:19am
I occasionally clean my camera and lens with 91% or preferably higher Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol using an old toothbrush to clean and a washrag to dry.
I wouldn't do it often as all alcohol contains water and turns everything whitish eventually.
I have not found a better cleaning fluid yet.
Why don't you ask your Nikon Service center what they use or recommend?:)