PDA

View Full Version : which lens to go with my D700 for a portraiture course????

smallfooties
05-08-2011, 10:47pm
Hi all,
I was just wondering which lens i should take with me for a portraiture course that i have signed up for?
I am tossed between:
Nikkor 85mm f 1.8 MF and the Sigma 28 - 300 f3.5 - 6.3

I'll prolly only want to take one or should i take both?

Please help! :o

Lance B
05-08-2011, 10:54pm
Take both, but the 85mm is the perfect focal length and has a big aperture (f1.8) for shallow DOF purposes.

smallfooties
05-08-2011, 11:01pm
ok dokie Lance!~ Thanks~! :D

fess67
05-08-2011, 11:05pm
ok. 2 problems:

1: Nikon

2: Lens choice

:eek: Runs for cover :p

Portraits...go 85mm. If you have the coin to take both (as you suggest you do) then go for both and in 3 months time when you have worked both,,,,,let us know how it worked out and which suited you best. :)

smallfooties
05-08-2011, 11:17pm
ok. 2 problems:

1: Nikon

2: Lens choice

:eek: Runs for cover :p

Portraits...go 85mm. If you have the coin to take both (as you suggest you do) then go for both and in 3 months time when you have worked both,,,,,let us know how it worked out and which suited you best. :)

You are afterall in the Nikon Section!!! kekeke....
I'll take both and will let you know which one worked best.
But i've done some portraiture shooting with both and i must say i am leaning towards the 85mm...
it's sharp and the bokeh is nicer... only thing it's MF... and sometimes... my eyes play tricks on me... :rolleyes:
but with the zoom, i found that it allows more flexibility in how you position yourself or don't position yourself... if lazy or shy (like me) you know?
but i am leaning towards the 85mm more... :th3:

fillum
06-08-2011, 12:29am
Do you still have the Zeiss 50mm? If so maybe take that and the 85mm.

You could email the course people and ask what they would recommend.

Cheers.

smallfooties
06-08-2011, 9:05pm
Do you still have the Zeiss 50mm? If so maybe take that and the 85mm.

You could email the course people and ask what they would recommend.

Hi Fillum,
I did ask, and the guy said to bring both!
I don't really know if my zeiss would work on the D700 as it is a M42 mount.. but i have an adapter to use with my D200 - which i no longer have...
But alot of stuffs i've been reading said that 50mm isn't really suitable... so that's why i've narrowed my lens choices to the 2 that i've mentioned in my thread.

Cheers.

swifty
06-08-2011, 9:12pm
Natural light or studio flash?
If natural light, take the 85/1.8.
If studio, you're shooting down around f8 anyways so as long as its sharp there you're fine. In a studio and particularly if you're on a tripod, a zoom is very convenient.

kiwi
06-08-2011, 9:45pm
stating the flaming obvious - youre meant to change lenses on a slr, take everything, youre not backpacking up everest