PDA

View Full Version : 120 film for Hasselblad

Ms Monny
05-08-2011, 7:25pm
I am very, very lucky to be able to get my hands on a Hasselblad and light meter for a bit of a play. Now, where can I get the film? I have looked on the internet but I don't think I am looking in the right areas. Does anyone know? :)

crf529
05-08-2011, 7:41pm
I get my 120 from BHPhoto, Ilford stuff.

ameerat42
05-08-2011, 7:50pm
"120 film adelaide" gives a good few hits, but I didn't look into them. I get it from Paxtons in Syd.
Am.

Ms Monny
05-08-2011, 10:52pm
Thanks! I was googling '120 film Hasselblad' and '120 film buy' but ended up seeing a few magazine backs for sale and a Hasselblad on ebay (which got my heart racing BUT I can't afford it at this mo in time!! ;))

Will try again. :th3:

fillum
06-08-2011, 11:29pm
I just bought some rolls from Lofico (http://shop.lofico.com.au/category/120-mm). Ordered lunchtime Wednesday, arrived lunchtime Friday (Sydney). (I think they are based in Sydney).

Cheers.

Ms Monny
07-08-2011, 10:50pm
I love the site Lofico! Thanks for letting me know! :th3:

nightbringer
08-08-2011, 10:51am
If you're willing to come into the CBD, Twin City Camera House and Central Market Camera House should have 120 film. Failing that, Total Photo in Kent Town. Good luck with your medim format shooting! :)

junqbox
08-08-2011, 10:56am
i use Cheap Shots on eBay, search for 'cheap shots eBay' in Google.

James T
08-08-2011, 12:41pm
The fact that you have a 'blad is irrelevant. You just need 120 or 220 roll film. Don't know Adelaide very well, but most decent labs should either stock it, or be able to tell you where to get hold of some.

Ms Monny
08-08-2011, 12:55pm
Ah, you see James, me being a total newbie to this medium format stuff I thought 'blad's took a bigger film!! I actually have a few 120 rolls in my fridge that are now old (was using them for the Hoga) but didn't realise they were what I would be needing. I will buy on the net due to me not being able to get into the city much.

James T
08-08-2011, 1:02pm
Ah, you see James, me being a total newbie to this medium format stuff I thought 'blad's took a bigger film!! I actually have a few 120 rolls in my fridge that are now old (was using them for the Hoga) but didn't realise they were what I would be needing. I will buy on the net due to me not being able to get into the city much.

No worries. Medium format is medium format really, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, etc notice they're all 6xsomething; just depends how wide the holder is for which format you get - all shot on the same film though.

Which Hasselblad did you get hold of in the end?

Ms Monny
08-08-2011, 1:11pm
Well, I learnt something today!! Thanks :)

i am picking up the camera today. Believe it or not, the local postie and i started a convo over the counter and the next thing I knew he was running into the back room (their house) and getting rangefinder cameras etc to show me. I said i would love to try a 'blad' one day and then I get a notice in my post box saying he will lend me one!

I know this is silly but I am kindof nervous about the whole thing. Also, would it matter if the film I used for practice was old??

James T
08-08-2011, 2:05pm
Sounds like a good guy. :th3:

Provided it's not melting and falling apart ;) you'll be fine. Expired film can sometimes produce slightly odd colours, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Kept in the fridge / freezer it lasts a good while though. And as it's only practice, it doesn't really matter. :) enjoy.

fillum
08-08-2011, 2:36pm
Expired film can sometimes produce slightly odd colours, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.There have been photographers that looked for expired film for this reason (but being cheaper probably didn't hurt either :)). As a Holga fan you would probably enjoy the colour shifts :D (although I wouldn't expect any here if the film has been in the fridge).

Enjoy the experience. If the 'Blad' has a waist-level-finder you'll find it interesting if you've only been used to SLRs and rangefinders.

Cheers.

Ms Monny
08-08-2011, 3:41pm
It's a 500C. I've got 2 x b&w lomography 100 film and 2 x fujicolour superia 100 film, so I think I might just get a good range of photos to have a play with. I am very interesting in getting the film that is made for cross-processing (Rollei Creative Edition Crossbird) too.

Oooh, I am so excited! :D

He also showed his Mamiya and the FED russian camera. I saw that one on the net to buy. Looks interesting.

Bennymiata
09-08-2011, 4:26pm
I haven't used a Hasselblad for probably 40 years!
My father had a couple of bodies, a half dozen backs and various viewfinders, penta prisms and lots of other accessories like bellows etc.
Such a different world from digital.

To me. the 500C is the purest of them all.

A few rules about using a Blad though.
Do not take off the back unless you have put the slide in first and don't forget to wind it after every shot!

If you only have the waist level viewer, you will be shocked to see that everything is upside down!
I think the togs that used them were amazing in that they were able to compose and focus etc with the view being inverted.

I really like how you set the exposure on them too as once clicked in, you can easily adjust the speed and aperture together, so it's easy to go for a wide open shot, and the speed adjusts automatically as you do it and vice versa too.
Ever used a hand held light meter?
After some practice, you can actually guess what the exposure will be.

colinbm
09-08-2011, 6:14pm
Hi Ms Monny
I am looking for some exposed & developed film & 120 will be great to have some Please.
I am happy to pay what it costs & postage, but if you get some blank exposed & developed pieces I will be delighted to pay for some.
I am told that they make a good thin InfraRed filter.
Please PM or email me if you can help Please.
Oh, & good luck with your blad loaner.
Cheers
Col

Ms Monny
10-08-2011, 11:19am
Thanks for the info Benny! Yes, the moving of the aperature and speed together is great. I had a play yesterday (even though it was very cloudy -crappy weather actually) and I love the feel of it and the sounds it makes. I am now scouring the net to see what others use for their film (Film Is Not Dead etc). I think a more versatile film would be a 400 ISO and one that I can push or pull a bit if needed. I found using the light meter not a problem at all and I liked the fact that everything had to be slowed down....take a reading from meter, adust camera for the light, compose the shot in the square format (walk back and forwards!), steady, steady, and take the shot. Everything had to be thought about and that is what I loved.

Someone on another site said it is like having an intimate relationship with the camera and film....you need to buy the film, store it correctly (or not if you want that type of look), load the film in the camera, take your shots, unload the camera, develop the film by yourself or send of to a lab and then you finally get to see the fruits of your labour. With a digital, you are really only using the camera and then the computer. Not very imtimate at all. I can see what he means BUT I wouldn't get rid of the digital. It definately has its place but I am liking the idea of using both and I am hoping that the analogue will help me develop into a better photographer!!

Col - I sent you a message! I re-read this post and yes, you can also have the developed film (if they aren't too good! ;) but I am not expecting anything fantastic at this stage!!).

nightbringer
10-08-2011, 5:57pm
Glad to hear you getting into analogue so much.
I enjoy film for mostly the same reason - it's a lot slower-paced and contemplative, and more hands on :)

I'd really like to get one of those Mamiya RB/RZ67s, I just love the feel and clunkiness of those babies, especially looking through the waist-level finder and seeing the viewfinder equivalent of a HD image XD

ameerat42
10-08-2011, 8:25pm
I'd really like to get one of those Mamiya RB/RZ67s, I just love the feel and clunkiness of those babies, especially looking through the waist-level finder and seeing the viewfinder equivalent of a HD image...

:DExcept when you're lugging it and tripodery up hills and down dales. I've taken to using only a 50mm lens in such cases. But I agree about looking into the wl viewfinder. It's just like DDD!
And no, you can't have mine.
Am.

Ms Monny
11-08-2011, 8:59pm
the 'blad' I am borrowing doesn't have the waist level finder! Bitter sweet actually....I am happy because at least I see everything the right way up (!) but it's a pity I didn't get a chance to experience it.

nightbringer
11-08-2011, 11:52pm
:DExcept when you're lugging it and tripodery up hills and down dales. I've taken to using only a 50mm lens in such cases. But I agree about looking into the wl viewfinder. It's just like DDD!
And no, you can't have mine.
Am.

That's why I'm going to try to find one of those L brackets with the trigger release, even though they seem to be pretty rare. What's it like using the Mamiya?

Monika: Don't worry, they have them at a couple of the Camera Houses in the city and also at Total Photo so you can check em out next time you're in :)

ameerat42
12-08-2011, 9:41am
That's why I'm going to try to find one of those L brackets with the trigger release, even though they seem to be pretty rare. What's it like using the Mamiya?

Nightbringer. I had one once (100 yrs ago). I used it about two times, just to make sure it induced camera shake through being unwieldy. (Having said that, there were a few people then who used them all the time.) I took it off and haven't seen it since. From then on it's been either tripod or hand-cradled camera. Tell you Y it was unwieldy. It was like trying to ride a motorbike and hold something steady. My hands were spread too wide to hold the camera steady. One hand (loosely) holding the camera base and the other gripping the bracket. Then, when I went to press the relocated shutter release, even more shake happened. That was with the waist-level finder. Then, when I added the weight of the metered prism (another once-only affair), well, 4-get it! My advice (let people shoot me, I don't care): save your dough.

Typically now, when I (rarely) use it, I take a lightmeter, the body, a back or two with film, and almost always only a f=50mm lens. It's usually for landscapes. All this fits into a compact bag.
Am.

Ah, I 4-got. What's it like to use: very pleasant. There is no rush with this camera. Each shot takes about a minute.