PDA

View Full Version : Just a little question for intermediate and advance photograpers

Nikkie
04-08-2011, 5:12am
I've noticed that a lot of intermediate and advance and some beginners don't put up there exif data I know I am also guilty of this mostly because I forget to. I just feel that the exif data from the intermediate and advance and even the beginners might be a big help to us beginners if we get to see all these fantastic photos and had the data it would give us beginners something to go on maybe this is wrong of me but I am just wondering as to why most don't seem to do it

I @ M
04-08-2011, 6:00am
If you are looking for the exif in the comp photos you won't find it as it is stripped when the images are uploaded to maintain anonymity during the comp process.
Some programs strip the exif from images when "saving for web" and many linked through hosting sites also have the information deleted.
Some people go to the trouble of typing out the details for others and that is a handy reference to have :th3: and others simply leave the exif intact and able to be read with the appropriate exif viewer when linked through hosting points that don't strip the data.

If you feel the need to know the details from a particular image that doesn't have the data included I am sure that most here would be quite happy to provide the details if asked in a thread.

ricktas
04-08-2011, 6:25am
Also AP doesn't tell members what to do with their photos. It is up to them. So if a member chooses to display EXIF or not, it really is a personal choice. You can always ask them in their thread(s) if they can advise what settings were used, if you want to know, as Andrew says.

Remember also that EXIF only tells you a fraction of the story. It gives to you the details of what the camera was set to, it doesnt include things like the light reading at the time, the kelvin temperatore of the scene, any off camera additional lighting used, if more than one shot was merged (either as HDR or another layering technique), if white balance was altered in post processing, and more. Whilst EXIF can be a learning tool for things like shutter speed and freezing movement (motorbike racing), or shutter speed and blurring movement (waterfall), it isn't the ultimate answer to what settings to use. That all comes from understanding the principals of photography, experience, and lots of practice.

Nikkie
04-08-2011, 7:16am
[QUOTE=I @ M;894649]If you are looking for the exif in the comp photos you won't find it as it is stripped when the images are uploaded to maintain anonymity during the comp process.
Some programs strip the exif from images when "saving for web" and many linked through hosting sites also have the information deleted.
Some people go to the trouble of typing out the details for others and that is a handy reference to have :th3: and others simply leave the exif intact and able to be read with the appropriate exif viewer when linked through hosting points that don't strip the data.

If you feel the need to know the details from a particular image that doesn't have the data included I am sure that most here would be quite happy to provide the details if asked in a thread.[/QUOTE Oh no Andrew I don't go looking for exif data I can remember when I first started to post here some people got quiet or seemed quiet up set because I am learning and did not know at first about exif data but I learnt quick I was told that I must add my data if I want help and advice I don't look for others but just read in post and have noticed that most don't put there exif data up as it was explained to me this was a long time ago but I can remember this and thought it was more or just as important as the photo it self I don't understand enough about photography and would never attempt to copy any body's photos with out there permission I have had this done to me as some body new my data on a photo that I had posted that I had forgotten the data for I am just trying to understand why people don't I would rather not as I would rather people see the photo for the photo good bad or other wise as some times you can luck up and get a good photo with the wrong settings so I was just wondering that is all but thank you for this information

Nikkie
04-08-2011, 7:21am
[QUOTE=ricktas;894657]Also AP doesn't tell members what to do with their photos. It is up to them. So if a member chooses to display EXIF or not, it really is a personal choice. You can always ask them in their thread(s) if they can advise what settings were used, if you want to know, as Andrew says.

Remember also that EXIF only tells you a fraction of the story. It gives to you the details of what the camera was set to, it doesnt include things like the light reading at the time, the kelvin temperatore of the scene, any off camera additional lighting used, if more than one shot was merged (either as HDR or another layering technique), if white balance was altered in post processing, and more. Whilst EXIF can be a learning tool for things like shutter speed and freezing movement (motorbike racing), or shutter speed and blurring movement (waterfall), it isn't the ultimate answer to what settings to use. That all comes from understanding the principals of photography, experience, and lots of practice.[/QUOTE Thanks Rick for this information most of the data you said I don't understand any way but for me f stops and shutter speed ISO say on a wonderful photo of a flower or what ever it might be might be a tad helpful that is all I meant I was not complaining that they don't at all just wondering about the individual as to why they like I said to Andrew when I first started and started to post I was in the believe it was a must have just the way it was put to me by some of the members but like you said I am sure most would be happy to supply it if asked

I @ M
04-08-2011, 7:30am
Nikkie, the point people were making about asking you to include the data from your images was so that they could see what you were doing with the camera and help you.

As you said, you don't fully understand the aperture, shutter relationship enough to explain it to them so if they can see the data they can then advise you appropriately.

Nikkie
04-08-2011, 8:29am
yes I understand that now thanks

Kym
04-08-2011, 8:45am
@Nikkie ... we love your enthusiasm :th3:

But we STRONGLY suggest you work through the New To Photography Learning Plan over the next 4-8 weeks.
See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

All of your questions so far are answered in the NTP LP.
The NTP was Rick's brain child and I and others have added to it.

The actual plan is structured by a person who has taught technology courses and designed and written course material. (me)
It is simple, avoids information overload, and teaches all the basic elements of photography in the best way possible.

If you follow the course diligently your photography and your understanding of photography will expand immensely.
There is a 100% money back guarantee :cool: