PDA

View Full Version : Sydney - Melbourne Coastal Drive and GOR - What are the must see places?

lay-z
02-08-2011, 11:06am
Hi Everyone,

In light of resigning from my job this week (woo hoo!), I've decided to do some travelling before starting with my new employer. Namely, as per the topic title, a 1 1/2 week road trip from Sydney to Melbourne via the Princes Highway and the GOR. The thought of going through Hamilton, Ararat and Ballarat is half hearted as I'm not sure what's out there..

Based on your experiences and knowledge, what are your suggestions for the must stop and see locations? I prefer to stay on sealed roads as I have a medium sized sedan.

If it helps, I'm moreso interested in photographing land/seascapes than architecture/street/macro (e.g. botanical gardens) and so forth.

Thanks in advance!

mudman
02-08-2011, 11:16am
with the time available, i would suggest GOR. that should give you time to explore more and wait for the good light.
cheers

Lance B
02-08-2011, 11:43am
There are some great places around the south side of Jervis Bay, Mogo Zoo near Bateman's Bay, Tlba Tilba, Lakes Entrance, Wilson's Promontory are just some of the places to see. Really, there are way too many great places to see!

Here are a couple from Jervis Bay:
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/54812466.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/54380072.jpg

lay-z
02-08-2011, 11:59am
Cheers Mudman. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post but i intend on doing both drives in the 1 1/2 week drive. possibly stretching it out to even a bit more if I'm having too much fun.

Thanks for heads up Lance. My current itinerary makes Ulladulla as my first stop so I'll be able to pop into Jervis Bay on the way down :)

Tilba Tilba is intended as a stop as it's a fantastic little village and you'd think you've stepped back in time!

I'm indecisive on whether I should stay at Lakes Entrance or drive around a bit further into Loch Sport to access The Lakes National Park - any thoughts on this one?

Wilson's Promontory seems to be a must see as it's the country's most southern mainland point and that's a given!

rellik666
02-08-2011, 1:58pm
Wilson's Promontory seems to be a must see as it's the country's most southern mainland point and that's a given!

make sure you get out and walk around...some of the best places are inacessable by car!

There is far too much in that lot to give you all of them, but you are onto a good thing with the GOR and Wilson's Prom. :th3:

Lance B
02-08-2011, 2:15pm
Cheers Mudman. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my initial post but i intend on doing both drives in the 1 1/2 week drive. possibly stretching it out to even a bit more if I'm having too much fun.

Thanks for heads up Lance.

Glad to help, mate.

My current itinerary makes Ulladulla as my first stop so I'll be able to pop into Jervis Bay on the way down :)

It's a nice spot and one of my favourite haunts. :)

Tilba Tilba is intended as a stop as it's a fantastic little village and you'd think you've stepped back in time!

With the right weather conditions and light you can get some fantastic photos. I was there in the early eighties with my Pentax ME Super and Kodachrome 64 slide film and took the most magical photo with it shrouded in cloud/fog, it looked superb, but the photo seems to ahev disappeared! :(

I'm indecisive on whether I should stay at Lakes Entrance or drive around a bit further into Loch Sport to access The Lakes National Park - any thoughts on this one?

Unfortunately I don't know, so can't help on that. :(

Definitely!

Have a great trip and I hope you get some great photos! :)

bushbikie
02-08-2011, 11:53pm
Many years ago, prior to becoming interested in photography, I spent a week in the Pambula/Merimbula/Eden area - very picturesque!. Looking back in retrospect I wish I'd had a camera back then. Dunno what they're like now but maybe others can provide some more recent info on the area?

peterb666
03-08-2011, 12:29am
Many years ago, prior to becoming interested in photography, I spent a week in the Pambula/Merimbula/Eden area - very picturesque!.

There are 1001 spots to photograph on the coast between Bateman's Bay and Eden.

shakes
05-08-2011, 2:12pm
the GOR has ALOT of places to stop at and explore and shoot. I grew up in Port Campbell and spent hundreds of days exploring the various coves and inlets along the way.

Personally I would suggest staying in PC itself and exploring for a couple of weeks (or until you get bored you can only look at the same scenery for so long) and spending time in the smaller beaches and other places you need to walk too around Johanna, Princetown, Childers cove and a few others all within ~1hrs drive.

Timboon for an old rail trail. Lavers hill area for old rainforest and glow worms.

Lots of hidden gems in the area that are overlooked from people trying to cram it in all in two days because thats all the drive takes.

lay-z
05-08-2011, 4:12pm
Thanks for your advice all, in particular to shakes.

I had initially intended on only spending two days on the GOR but going by your advice, may have to extend it an additional two days to experience it properly!

I @ M
05-08-2011, 4:28pm

From the border through to Lakes Entrance there are quite a few places for good land / seascape shots ( we live in one :D ) and once you get to Lakes itself the town is a tourist hub and just the gateway to the Gippsland Lakes system. I personally prefer this end of the coast to the Loch Sport area, it is all rather flat and and uninviting looking down that way although the non coastal National Parks down that route are very scenic..
Wilsons Promontory on the other hand is a spectacular place with lots of walking to be done to see the best bits.

Tommo224
05-08-2011, 4:58pm
Great Ocean Road is awesome driving! There are lots of places to stop along there, you'll see lots of turn offs, parking lots and signs announcing what is where.. Just stop off at each one, that's what we did last time :D

http://pics.omgtom.net/melbjune/

Melbourne itself, have you ever been there before? Lots to see and photo there. Lots of places hidden away. I love Hosier Lane:
http://www.omgtom.net/mazpics/galleries/user/tom/020611melbourne/IMG_6317.JPG

Tommo224
05-08-2011, 5:00pm
the GOR has ALOT of places to stop at and explore and shoot. I grew up in Port Campbell and spent hundreds of days exploring the various coves and inlets along the way.

Personally I would suggest staying in PC itself and exploring for a couple of weeks (or until you get bored you can only look at the same scenery for so long) and spending time in the smaller beaches and other places you need to walk too around Johanna, Princetown, Childers cove and a few others all within ~1hrs drive.

Timboon for an old rail trail. Lavers hill area for old rainforest and glow worms.

Lots of hidden gems in the area that are overlooked from people trying to cram it in all in two days because thats all the drive takes.

Wish I'd known there was more around Port Campbell. I stayed in Port Campbell the first time I visited the GOR. Had no idea there was more around it! Just looked like a small coastal town to me haha.. I guess I didn't really know where to look.

I'll definitely be hitting you up at a later date (might be doing the GOR for the third time later this year) :)

lay-z
06-08-2011, 10:20am
From the border through to Lakes Entrance there are quite a few places for good land / seascape shots ( we live in one :D ) and once you get to Lakes itself the town is a tourist hub and just the gateway to the Gippsland Lakes system. I personally prefer this end of the coast to the Loch Sport area, it is all rather flat and and uninviting looking down that way although the non coastal National Parks down that route are very scenic..
Wilsons Promontory on the other hand is a spectacular place with lots of walking to be done to see the best bits.

Cheers Andrew! I've ammened my route to make a stop over at Lakes rather than Loch Sport based on your advice.
Wilson's Promontory - I've checked the website on Vic Parks and unfortunately, looks like some paths have been closed for repair due to floods in March (talk about from one extreme to the other!). My plan is to drive from Lakes Entrance to Tidal River and do which ever walks are open around. I've also learnt that accomodation bookings for Tidal River need to be made 12 months in advance! So I'm planning on sticking it out and sleeping in the car :D

Great Ocean Road is awesome driving! There are lots of places to stop along there, you'll see lots of turn offs, parking lots and signs announcing what is where.. Just stop off at each one, that's what we did last time :D

Melbourne itself, have you ever been there before? Lots to see and photo there. Lots of places hidden away. I love Hosier Lane:

Cheers Tommo. yes, I frequent Melbourne as it's required for my work and am familiar with its surrounds. But that's without saying I know of *everything* that's in Melbourne.

So Far, here's the itinerary for those who are interested in doing something similar:

Day 1 - Sydney to Vincentia, Jervis bay

Day 2 - Vincentia to Merimbula with stops at Ulladulla (may be skipped depending on time), Central Tilba, Tilba Tilba, Bermagui and Bega

Day 3 - Merimbula to Lakes Entrance with stops at Eden and wherever else that may be of interest along the way (read winging it)

Day 4 - Lakes Entrance to Wilsons Promontory

Day 5 - Planning to be spent at Wilsons Prom and heading into Sprinvale South (Family)

Day 6 - Spent with Family

Day 7 - Springvale Sth to Torquay

Day 8 - Torquay to Port Campbell with visits of places of interest in between

Day 9 - Port Campbell to Warrnambool and surrounds then to Ballarat

Day 10 - Ballarat to Albury with a stop by Beechworth.

Day 11 - Homeward bound :)

It may appear rushed but I'm somewhat of a 'road warrior' so long distance driving is no stranger.