PDA

View Full Version : Opera users are the smartest!

ving
01-08-2011, 12:41pm
its true! just read this article. opera users have on average a much higher IQ than say IE users... I use opera to look smarter than i actually am :p

http://www.news.com.au/technology/its-official-internet-explorer-users-are-totally-dumb/story-e6frfro0-1226105771664

Tannin
01-08-2011, 12:41pm
I've known that for years. Next question please.

Tannin
01-08-2011, 12:42pm
Oh, but I have also known that Opera users are smarter. :eek:

ving
01-08-2011, 12:45pm
and a related article where by the consultancy company apologies to IE users after receiving a heap of hate mail

http://www.aptiquant.com/news/aptiquant-threatened-with-a-lawsuit-by-loyal-internet-explorer-users/

use opera and be sarmt lik what i am!:rolleyes:

Kym
01-08-2011, 12:53pm
AP current usage...

Firefox 42.5 %
MS Internet Explorer 37.6 %
Safari 10.7 %
Google 6.5 %
Opera 1.2 %

ving
01-08-2011, 12:59pm
that 1.2% must be tony and I :p

Cliff
01-08-2011, 1:03pm
tony and I :p
That should be Tony and ME.....and I don't mean me, myself. I mean you, yourself, the smart one. Me, myself, is just a smart arse.:D

Tannin
01-08-2011, 1:10pm
the consultancy company apologies to IE users after receiving a heap of hate mail

Interesting! I had no idea that IE users were bright enough to write letters. I learn something every day.

ving
01-08-2011, 3:35pm
That should be Tony and ME.....and I don't mean me, myself. I mean you, yourself, the smart one. Me, myself, is just a smart arse.:Dthe pronoun I, together with the proper noun Tony, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.

Tannin
01-08-2011, 4:18pm
^ Dunno about them there fancy ways o' talkin', I just fall back on the old reliable method: in your head, say the sentence without the other person at all. Example:

Is it "Ving and I went to the beach" or "Ving and me went to the beach"? Try it without the other person: "I went to the beach" or "Me went to the beach" ....

Obviously, it is "I went" so the correct expression is "Ving and I went to the beach". This rule never fails.

ving
01-08-2011, 4:26pm
i dont remember going to any beach.... but i hope you had fun all the same :p

Cliff
01-08-2011, 4:28pm
That's the way I do it too Tannin. "That 1.2% must be Tony " and "that 1.2% must be I" This seems completely wrong so obviously "that 1.2% must be me".
Perhaps I'm not smart enough. I use Firefox. :)

ving
01-08-2011, 4:33pm
That's the way I do it too Tannin. "That 1.2% must be Tony " and "that 1.2% must be I" This seems completely wrong so obviously "that 1.2% must be me".
Perhaps I'm not smart enough. I use Firefox. :)now i am just confused... do you use Opera or firefox?

how bout this:

1. Hark! who goes there?

2. Tis I, your knight in leather armor come to take thee away on my gallant steed!

:th3:

Tannin
01-08-2011, 4:46pm
1. Hark! who goes there?

2. Tis I, your knight in leather armor come to take thee away on my gallant steed!

It's just an abridged version. The full text runs like this:

"Tis - IIIIIIiiii Ough bloody hell I hate it when I catch my technicals in the damn armour! - Tis your knight in leather armor come to take thee away on my gallant steed!

ving
01-08-2011, 4:52pm
It's just an abridged version. The full text runs like this:

"Tis - IIIIIIiiii Ough bloody hell I hate it when I catch my technicals in the damn armour! - Tis your knight in leather armor come to take thee away on my gallant steed!:lol::lol::lol:

hilarious!

I @ M
01-08-2011, 4:54pm
All sound s like a C-Grade soap ( insert browser name here ) to we or is that I or should it be me.

Cliff
01-08-2011, 5:04pm
Thou art all indeed funny - or should that be strange.:D

Tannin
01-08-2011, 5:11pm
Hey, we be Opera users. Yeah, sure we be intelligent; some of us be using correct grammar at least some of da time .... but no-one ever said we wuzn't strange. :eek:

Scotty72
01-08-2011, 5:32pm
the pronoun I, together with the proper noun Tony, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.

Wrong! You used it at the end of the sentence and, clearly, as the object of the sentence. The subject of your sentence was, in fact, the 1.2%

Scotty (the Inglesh teacha)

ving
01-08-2011, 8:12pm
oh fair enough! :rolleyes:

you guys win... this time :p

mudman
01-08-2011, 8:18pm
ok, so opera users are about 2 standard deviations above the mean. i am rate as above 2 sd, and i use ie. that should dent a few egos:p

Tannin
01-08-2011, 8:33pm
^ If you are so smart, what are you doing living in Canberra?

Scotty72
01-08-2011, 9:25pm

Touche... There is no come-back from that :lol:

(speaking from experience as a temporary Canberran from 1990-1992)

arthurking83
01-08-2011, 9:28pm
I just wanna see the photos from Tannin and Ving's big day out at the beach!

mudman
02-08-2011, 8:26am

don't knock it til you have tried it.
what other city has a university ratio of 4 univerasities to 300k people, roads that are better than most other states highways, highest average income and highest average level of education in the country, and the rural countryside minutes drive down the, very good,road?

Kym
02-08-2011, 9:19am
Back on topic.... Does this mean IE users are more likely to fall for a Nigerian 419 scam ? :lol:

jim
02-08-2011, 11:43am
^ Dunno about them there fancy ways o' talkin', I just fall back on the old reliable method: in your head, say the sentence without the other person at all. Example:

Is it "Ving and I went to the beach" or "Ving and me went to the beach"? Try it without the other person: "I went to the beach" or "Me went to the beach" ....

Obviously, it is "I went" so the correct expression is "Ving and I went to the beach". This rule never fails.

Fail. It assumes that "me" is in the accusative case, which it would be if we were speaking bloody Latin. But in English "me" covers a lot more territory; it is the oblique case and ought to be used almost any time you aren't referring to the direct and most immediate subject of the sentence. "Ving and me went to the beach" is correct.

Mind you I would say "Ving and I". I've had proper English educated out of me, like most people.

ving
02-08-2011, 10:25pm
I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME I ME

:eek:

Tannin
02-08-2011, 10:38pm
^ guess the tune and win a million dollars?

Calxoddity
02-08-2011, 10:52pm
This study didn't go far enough. What about dissecting browser preferences according to other criteria such as left-handedness, Myers-Briggs, eye colour, and camera brand?

As for the conclusion, meh. Perhaps the only people that be bothered figuring out Opera are higher IQ obsessives... :p

ricktas
03-08-2011, 6:41am
I use firefox at home and IE at work (cause at work I don't get a choice). Yet again I use safari on my iPad and iPhone. Now this has me wondering. Am I smarter at home than I am at work? Because my workplace forces me to use IE, are my bosses less intelligent? Cause I tend to use my iPad when away from home (and not at work), I must become smarter when in different environments. Sheesh!

Or the alternate sentence:

Me use firefox at home and IE at work (cause at work me don't get a choice). Yet again me use safari on my iPad and iPhone. Now this has me wondering. Am me smarter at home than me am at work? Because my workplace forces me to use IE, are my bosses less intelligent? Cause me tend to use my iPad when away from home (and not at work), me must become smarter when in different environments. Sheesh! :D

jim
03-08-2011, 7:08am
I assume you typed that second sentence at work.

Steve Axford
03-08-2011, 8:12am
I remember reading about the (one time) head of Mensa in England. He had a IQ (as measured by Mensa) of 160, yet he was a bus driver. He eventually killed himself, perhaps because he could't work out how someone as bright as he was could be a dumb as he was. I also remember that in a mining town (Rosebery to be specific), we had a saying, and it was "If you're so f*cking good, how come you're here?". I could say the same "If you're so ** smart, how come you're (or we're) on AP?"

Cliff
03-08-2011, 9:10am
^ guess the tune and win a million dollars?

Easy! "I've gotta be me" :)

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

ving
03-08-2011, 9:17am
IQ tests... meh!
life measures how smart you are. :) (and what browser you use)

Tannin
03-08-2011, 9:33am
Because my workplace forces me to use IE, are my bosses less intelligent?

Yes! They are downright stupid. Your IT department should be reassigned to window-washing duties, and the window cleaner put in charge of IT. This will probably result in a distinct improvement in the IT service delivery, but possibly at the cost of dirtier windows.

ving
03-08-2011, 9:36am
Yes! They are downright stupid. Your IT department should be reassigned to window-washing duties, and the window cleaner put in charge of IT. This will probably result in a distinct improvement in the IT service delivery, but possibly at the cost of dirtier windows.if not the window cleaner then try a bus driver... they are brilliant! :cool:

Art Vandelay
03-08-2011, 9:41am
I'm on IE and can't even follow this thread.---- maybe that proves something. :lol:

Kym
03-08-2011, 10:58am
Causality... Low IQ people are more likely to use IE does not mean an IE users has a lower IQ.

Tannin
03-08-2011, 11:40am
Statistics . . . yes it does, actually. :eek:

(Provided that there are no unconsidered confounding variables, and provided also that we are interested in the average figure, which is depressed by the high number of low-scoring individuals on the left-hand end of the bell curve.)

ricktas
05-08-2011, 3:25pm
its true! just read this article. opera users have on average a much higher IQ than say IE users... I use opera to look smarter than i actually am :p

But obviously not smarter than the hoaxers...HAHAHAHAHAHA : http://www.news.com.au/technology/its-ok-internet-explorer-users-were-the-dummies/story-e6frfro0-1226108035021

ving
05-08-2011, 3:38pm
ROFL!!!! thats gold!

Cliff
05-08-2011, 3:46pm
Brilliant! :lol:

jim
06-08-2011, 2:34am
if not the window cleaner then try a bus driver... they are brilliant! :cool:

This is so true.